Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What is it with this obsession with guns?

What is it with this obsession with guns?

Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is it with this obsession with guns?

Originally Posted by Nerine
Yes I've been in that situation too and found it very upsetting.

Not sure if I agree with the what you say about being in the right part of the country, hence the reason for mentioning the gun shop on the North Shore. The people I know travel far and wide to get their "sport" and some even pay for the pleasure of taking down a few deer.
Pretty much the same as UK then, I had an old family friend that had a hunting lodge up in Scotland, rich bugger he was, because people are happy to pay good money for the pleasure of killing animals and birds.
I love seeing wild deer, hate the thought of them being shot. I presume there are dedicated areas? I remember a while back the story of the bloke that shot his mate thinking he was a deer.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:22 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Oh deer, poor dear!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:31 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there are more guns per capita in NZ compared to Europe, makes sense - the country is more outdoorsy and rural than most countries, and many sports involving the outdoors will have higher participation rates. Just like there are more yachts in Auckland than anywhere else.

I don't see that there is a big gun culture though - handguns and automatics are tightly restricted, and the police are fighting the battle against illegal weapons.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:34 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by southerner
I'm sure there are more guns per capita in NZ compared to Europe, makes sense - the country is more outdoorsy and rural than most countries, and many sports involving the outdoors will have higher participation rates. Just like there are more yachts in Auckland than anywhere else.

I don't see that there is a big gun culture though - handguns and automatics are tightly restricted, and the police are fighting the battle against illegal weapons.
So ... to clarify, we're talking "huntin'; shootin;; fishin;" not shooting people?! Felt thread title was a tad misleading? Just me then?!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:50 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, don't worry about it .

Not sure I know what you mean by "dedicated areas"....areas for hunting? or areas for the protection of deer? there are neither, deer in the wild are considered to be a nuisance and treated accordingly, as are possums (can't shoot the latter in Oz)

I think the motto is "if it moves shoot it"
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

I was commenting on the fact that so many people own guns and that there are so many nasty weapons in this fair land.

Hmm. I think you only need to look at the British, US and Australian government's policy in Iraq to see gun culture gone mad.

What sort of example do these so-called advanced societies set the rest of us?

Kip
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Ah, don't worry about it .

Not sure I know what you mean by "dedicated areas"....areas for hunting? or areas for the protection of deer? there are neither, deer in the wild are considered to be a nuisance and treated accordingly, as are possums (can't shoot the latter in Oz)

I think the motto is "if it moves shoot it"
Yeah I meant for hunting but I supose either would be good! I cant believe it! I dont mean that as in I dont believe you...I mean it's just too shocking. So, you could be out on a walk in the country or somewhere the deers hang out, and there might be a hunter lurking? I'm suprised there aren't more accidents involving people getting shot instead of deer.
I knew about possums being a nuisance, they are, but deer?
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:10 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure it's got a lot worse here since "the fight against terrorism" really got off the ground - the range of weapons available for illegal import must have really widened.

Where's theres a market there's always someone there to supply it.

Jude, deer cause a lot of damage and are a real pest. You should know by now that anything not considered to be indigenous to NZ is likely to fair game. Explains the attitude towards migrants? (that was a joke!)
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:57 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure it's got a lot worse here since "the fight against terrorism" really got off the ground - the range of weapons available for illegal import must have really widened.

Where's theres a market there's always someone there to supply it.

Jude, deer cause a lot of damage and are a real pest. You should know by now that anything not considered to be indigenous to NZ is likely to fair game. Explains the attitude towards migrants? (that was a joke!)
What about the "Easter Bunny" Hunt?

Does that still go on?

100s of people wandering around Alexandra seeing who could shoot the most bunnies over the Easter weekend.

1000s of bawling kids thinking the Easter bunny was dead?

Buzzy
Old Jan 19th 2007, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Does that still go on?

100s of people wandering around Alexandra seeing who could shoot the most bunnies over the Easter weekend.

Buzzy

You do realise they have kangaroo shoots in Australia if that's where you're going.
Bye-bye Skippy

Kip
Old Jan 19th 2007, 7:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by JudeJ
I remember a while back the story of the bloke that shot his mate thinking he was a deer.
Originally Posted by southerner
Oh deer, poor dear!
I'm sure he was a ' Good Keen Man '
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:18 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Does that still go on?

Buzzy
not much fun since automatics are no longer allowed
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:35 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

My OH has an air rifle and a shotgun, fo which he holds a licence.

It's an interest and passion that he has always had and will continue in N.Z

He shoots vermin (like Sir Eglamore) which he does on a regular basis with other people, but he is just as content to shoot clays at our local club.

We have 3 kids, 2 of which are old enough to shoot and have done so. They have had tuition and as family we discuss the issue of guns and people's and society's attitude towards guns and those that own them.IMO I think people's ignorance causes a lot of harm to something that has been in existence for hundreds of years and today is not just for the landed gentry to be involved in.

Gun crime is so high because owning a gun has been driven underground esp. in the last 20 years. N.Z gun crime has actually INCREASED since the introduction of licencing, but once again the actions of a small minority of a population has influenced how the majority view something.

If you were to investigate the procedure for owning a gun or firearm and saw what was involved and also the code of conduct that people impose voluntarily in this sport/ pursuit then maybe you would think again.

Here ended the sermon
Old Jan 19th 2007, 4:34 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Nerine;4298573]Here's the shocker though .... some of those 500 weapons were held legitimately and only seized because the owner showed signs of illegal activity.

A Detective Senior Sergeant from Hamilton police was reported as voicing his a concern that legally people can own any pretty well any firearm they please.

However the reason for the raids was to investigate the thriving black market trade in illegal firearms and the police were shocked at the amount of firearms that were unlawfully owned, the majority of which had been imported into the country illegally.

QUOTE]

1. The weapons that were legal meant the owner must have held a license for them, eg; collector. Incidentally a collector cannot own a machine gun that is able to be used on automatic mode. The auto option must have been rendered inoperable.

2. Black market in firearms exists all over the world. Why would anyone think NZ was immune? NZ just smaller scale. In OZ recently bloody rocket launchers were pinched from the army to be sold to terrorist group sympathisers/members. A couple of years ago, 2 soldiers were selling firearms to Hell's Angels apparently but got caught out.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 4:46 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just like to point out that wild pork, duck, venison etc, cannot possibly be compared to what is by comparison the rather lame tasting stuff we get in supermarkets, butchers, etc. Though not all would be a fan, the gamey taste is I'm sure, popular amongst hunters and many who try their spoils.

I think hunting is about the challenge and chase, the comaraderie, the kill and the feast it provides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.