Reload this Page >

What is meant by 'Lifestyle'

What is meant by 'Lifestyle'

Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: What is meant by 'Lifestyle'

Originally Posted by sr71
That's the reality, not some angst-ridden opinion of a disgruntled expat because NZ doesn't teach the way the old school did back in the UK.
Hey. What's up. There is no need for that personal jibe. Not quite your style at all. .
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hey. What's up. There is no need for that personal jibe. Not quite your style at all. .
Not intended at any one person, just that 'type' of person.

Mainly because (and I've alluded in another thread) many people make such ridiculous comparisons and don't realise how lucky most of us really are. Regardless of the minor differences the UK and NZ are amongst the most privileged societies in the world, we are in the richest 5% of the worlds population and have some of the longest life expectancies around.

Yet we get people on here quibbling that Auckland University is only 70th in the world, out of 18,000 universities, and intimating that it's not good enough and you need to seriously consider whether the education here is a good enough standard for your kids.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tray;9900063]2) 4) Totally disagree re: national standards as I firmly believe children develop at different ages. My son has just had an article published in the local paper where he talks about how it is beleived that only those who excel in their grades can be called 'intelligent'. He believes this is a tragic misunderstanding of the fact that intelligence runs far deeper than simply a score on a test.He goes on to say, It also encompasses a person's capacity for learning, reasoning, forming & understanding relationships, & much more...he's13.

Excellent, what an insightful lad. National standards in school are a royal pain. They tell the teachers nothing and just serve to stress everyone out. What exactly is a standard child????
Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

BrightyRB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
No, that's not enough to move to New Zealand for.

You can find all of that in Great Britain if you try hard enough, continental Europe if you're feeling more adventurous.

You don't need to drag yourself and your family across the world to the middle of nowhere to find any of that.

What is worth moving to NZ for? to learn to live in a culture that's very different to your own, to experience the life changing event of becoming an immigrant and to be prepared to raise your children with them knowing they are immigrants. To want to live in a part of the world where the major external influences come from Asia and Australia and where you'll feel like a very small cog in a very small, very remote wheel.

I agree with Bourbon Biscuit, you need to look at earning three times your British salary in New Zealand if you want to maintain the standard of living you have now. I also think that your assumption of being mortgage free may turn out to be on shaky ground when you find out what your British pounds will buy.
Thank you for your reply and insights. Please be assured that list of reasons to move was by no means conclusive or exhaustive, it was merely a summary of the common lifestyle factors identified in the replies to the original post. I am, of course, not ignorant of the economic, political, socioeconomic or cultural implications of emigrating to NZ and did not mean to trivialize the issue.

Equally, i'm not 'dragging' my family anywhere, rather it is my adult children who are trying to pursuade me to emigrate as they so desperately want to ...and whilst it may be possible to find certain lifestyle factors in multiple places across the world, there is no point going anywhere if we can not be together as a family as that is the most important aspect of life to us all.

We are mortgage free in the UK and would be looking for a small, inexpensive property in NZ, just the right size for 2 people - nothing fancy. So based on what we have researched re property thus far we could be mortgage free and have a little left over in the bank for ... well for whatever we need it for. Yes, the exchange rate is a major concern at present, and one of the many factors we are adding into the equation.

If we chose to emigrate or not to emigrate then our decision will have been reached through extensive, in depth research. This research is being gathered from numerous sources including this forum which provides me with important qualitative data from a small sample of people who have first hand experience of expat life in NZ. No decision i make will be made based on information from a single source.

Thank you to everyone who has responded, and those continuing to respond. Your experiences and generosity in sharing those experiences are/is greatly appreciated
Old Feb 14th 2012, 5:54 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
No, that's not enough to move to New Zealand for.

You can find all of that in Great Britain if you try hard enough, continental Europe if you're feeling more adventurous.

You don't need to drag yourself and your family across the world to the middle of nowhere to find any of that.

What is worth moving to NZ for? to learn to live in a culture that's very different to your own, to experience the life changing event of becoming an immigrant and to be prepared to raise your children with them knowing they are immigrants. To want to live in a part of the world where the major external influences come from Asia and Australia and where you'll feel like a very small cog in a very small, very remote wheel.

I agree with Bourbon Biscuit, you need to look at earning three times your British salary in New Zealand if you want to maintain the standard of living you have now. I also think that your assumption of being mortgage free may turn out to be on shaky ground when you find out what your British pounds will buy.
I would not have a big house with lots of land in the uk cheap! to work in Europe you need to speak a forign language to get employment

I feel like a immigrant I guess but i can live with it as i dont care what people think
Old Feb 15th 2012, 5:26 am
Just Joined

northumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sr71
Although reliable studies have been performed that show there is little difference in ability once at 15/16 years old. Additionally NZ graduates are generally very successful overseas and are in demand - they certainly have absolutely no problems getting jobs in finance, medicine, technology etc anywhere in the world.

That's the reality, not some angst-ridden opinion of a disgruntled expat because NZ doesn't teach the way the old school did back in the UK.

The NZ uni being 70th is not bad either, it certainly puts it ahead of the vast majority of UK universities. Unless you are going to be attending Oxbridge, Kings College, Imperial College or a couple of other major ones.
Not meant to offend - just stating that NZ education system is not perfect or better than other countries, it is similar - it has similar problems and issues. It has good points and bad points. I don't rate standards as the best indicator for achievement but they do provide accountability. Education is very important to me and I am no old school teacher - standards should not dictate how a good teacher educates if they are doing their job. Teaching and learning can be exciting and motivating with standards as long as the standards don't become the focus! It is possible.

NZ,s Ministry of Education was one of the least effective departments and one of the issues that came to light in 2009 was the over generous marking system In 2009, 24% of the work was judged to have been marked too highly. Moderation is required!

"The Education Minister Anne Tolley has demanded to know why. In 2008 27.5% of re-marked work was found to have been marked too ‘generously’. The findings will bring the recently introduced NCEA (which is unique to NZ) into further disrepute"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...es-rate-poorly

I just believe that every child has the right to a quality education and that no matter where you are in the world you have to be selective. I do get a little frustrated when people think they are going to get a better deal for their children here in NZ. They may - they may not there is no guarantee I have worked in the UK & NZ so I think I have a right to comment. I taught in Scotland where the new Curriculum for Excellence gave teachers excellent freedom - a bigger work load but great opportunities for holistic teaching with accountability.

As for universities I was just stating a fact - not putting Auckland Uni down.
Again it is the putting down of education in the UK that is frustrating. You can get a good education in any country if you are selective.
The top 10 positions were dominated by US and British universities -
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/educ...world-rankings
Old Feb 15th 2012, 5:53 am
Just Joined

northumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=j19fmm;9901652]
Originally Posted by Tray
2) 4) Totally disagree re: national standards as I firmly believe children develop at different ages. My son has just had an article published in the local paper where he talks about how it is beleived that only those who excel in their grades can be called 'intelligent'. He believes this is a tragic misunderstanding of the fact that intelligence runs far deeper than simply a score on a test.He goes on to say, It also encompasses a person's capacity for learning, reasoning, forming & understanding relationships, & much more...he's13.

Excellent, what an insightful lad. National standards in school are a royal pain. They tell the teachers nothing and just serve to stress everyone out. What exactly is a standard child????
Unfortunately national standards are a fact of teaching in the UK - we just had to get on with it. You make the best of it - you ensure that each child has exactly what they need to achieve. Standards are not at the forefront of your planning, children are. You can be a good educator even with standards, it is how you approach them that matters. I have worked in special education so I am very sensitive to the fact that one size does not fit all and I work to ensure that every child has their needs met.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northumberland
I taught in Scotland where the new Curriculum for Excellence gave teachers excellent freedom - a bigger work load but great opportunities for holistic teaching with accountability.
Unless I've misunderstood, that genuine scares me that teachers would have a lot of freedom, even making them accountable.

How long for the damage to be done and detected? A year ruined by a errant teacher could be disastrous.

Surely there would be a strict curriculum and the only freedom a teacher would have is their teaching style?
Old Feb 15th 2012, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
I would not have a big house with lots of land in the uk cheap! to work in Europe you need to speak a forign language to get employment

I feel like a immigrant I guess but i can live with it as i dont care what people think :starsmile:
Next time you get that feeling just take a moment to consider just where the heritage of most Pakeha Kiwi's come from.

TBH if I heard your accent I wouldn't think about you as an immigrant.

My Grandmother was born in Ireland, my OH is British born. In fact all my pakeha rello's came from the BI's.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Next time you get that feeling just take a moment to consider just where the heritage of most Pakeha Kiwi's come from.
Even more amusing when people on here complain about NZ'ers - in reality the vast majority of whites in NZ will be less only 1-3 generations from being British - so it's really just a remote British county :-)
Old Feb 15th 2012, 7:55 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this was going to be about those houses that are a pretend farm because they come with a useless field?
Old Feb 15th 2012, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I thought this was going to be about those houses that are a pretend farm because they come with a useless field?

They simply rent the useless paddock to real farmers.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:02 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Which makes you wonder why people don't just got to a farmer and ask to buy an acre of land or two to build on.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

I know I've replied to this thread already but, I just wanted to add or sum up how our 'Lifestyle' has changed in our 2yrs living in NZ.

In the UK I felt deprived and compelled to hop on a plane for some consistent sunshine each summer.

Now we have access to 3 beautiful local beaches which we incorporate into our week, all year round
We no longer need to go to an airport every summer, if we want to go somewhere for a change we can drive or get the ferry to the other island

Opportunity to keep chookes & grow veggies is the icing on the cake for us

Hope you guys let us all know what you decided, when you decide that is
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

for me lifestyle meant swapping this back garden

for this one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.