Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What is meant by 'Lifestyle'

What is meant by 'Lifestyle'

Old Feb 9th 2012, 12:40 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is meant by 'Lifestyle'

The most important thing to realise about lifestyle is that most aspects of it have to be paid for somehow.

BB
Old Feb 9th 2012, 12:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The most important thing to realise about lifestyle is that most aspects of it have to be paid for somehow.
I agree. I'd have added the word 'any'.

The most important thing to realise about any lifestyle is that most aspects of it have to be paid for somehow.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
beer is crap
even in auckland still not much to do
So both of these depend on personal taste, and on peoples motivation. For people that are into stuff like mountain-biking, trail-biking, 4WD, bushwalking, beaches, athletic stuff like triathlons, yachting, windsurfing, kayaking, skiing, motorsports, golf etc - i would find it hard to believe they would find nothing to do as there are more/easier opportunities to do this than back in the UK.

Then of course, the normal indoor activities - shopping malls, internet, cinema, bowling, kids play areas etc are all readily available. Add in the gulf islands, cafes, restaurants, wineries and dozens of places within a couple of hours drive then you would have to be really unimaginative to get bored.

I know plenty of Aucklanders that have too much too do. Especially those with families and young kids.

UK beer is vile, yes there may be some excellent ales if you like that stuff, but otherwise just dire, certainly compared to Belgium and Germany.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:26 am
`

Originally Posted by sr71
UK beer is vile.
. HeHe.He.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

For people that are into stuff like mountain-biking, trail-biking, 4WD, bushwalking, beaches, athletic stuff like triathlons, yachting, windsurfing, kayaking, skiing, motorsports, golf etc -
regularly do the 1st one, the 2nd one, 3rd 4th 8th and 11th. Am also taking up tennis soon and looking into kayaking

Then of course, the normal indoor activities - shopping malls, internet, cinema, bowling, kids play areas etc are all readily available
A shopping mall isn't an activity and at 40 something I think its probably best if I dont hang around kids play areas
Old Feb 9th 2012, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

To me NZ lifestyle means beaches, nature and sports. Other than that I think life here is slower and quieter. In fact, I find it pretty boring here. Looking into returning to Europe in the next year or two.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
my day usually consists of get up then go to the gym or for a run, and i am more fitter here.

maybe go out for brunch with a friend

go home tidy up the house a bit

make dinner, watch a bit of tv or sit in the garden with a coffee or wine

watch tv in the evening and have a look on the laptop and chill or sometimes go the cinema or out for a couple of drinks by the river if its nice
I'm sorry I don't get it, none of this is unique to a 'lifestyle' in NZ that you could not do in the UK?

If only I didn't work full time and could afford it, no doubt I would spend my day pottering about, going to the gym and lunching with friends; I could easily fill my day up browsing through a book or a magazine but none of it I could not do if I were anywhere else in the world and at a loose end.

But sadly this is no different to the UK and I had no expectation that life in this regard would be any different in NZ. Unless people can suddenly afford to give up work, or do already have significant other that provides and affords them to stay home - I don't see how emigrating changes their lifestyle to any great extent.

I had to work when I was in the UK and work more hours here to earn less money and I am no different to all the other people I associate with in NZ, all bar a few stay at home mums who seem to spend the majority of the day on Facebook, at coffee mornings or at the mall. I don't see any people who spend their days at the beach, visiting wineries, climbing mountains, kayaking and windsurfing; unless they are on holiday.

Like most women that work full-time I spend most of my time juggling to keep the show on the road and mostly feeling utterly exhausted and inadequate ; trying to be the domestic goddess, catching up on jobs at home, growing our own veg and keeping up some semblance of a grooming regime and the appearances that life's a breeze and we live in a reasonably clean and presentable house.

Simply never enough time and if anyone has the solution, or a fail safe get rich scheme, I'd like to hear about it.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Other than that I think life here is slower and quieter. In fact, I find it pretty boring here..
Bingo !!

Thats what I was trying to say, Its ok having a million activities to do but when your not doing
them there's NOTHING else to do. . . if that makes sense.
Its like living in sleepy hollow and having a few toys to play with, when your not playing with toys ?????
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:19 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I'm sorry I don't get it, none of this is unique to a 'lifestyle' in NZ that you could not do in the UK?

If only I didn't work full time and could afford it, no doubt I would spend my day pottering about, going to the gym and lunching with friends; I could easily fill my day up browsing through a book or a magazine but none of it I could not do if I were anywhere else in the world and at a loose end.

But sadly this is no different to the UK and I had no expectation that life in this regard would be any different in NZ. Unless people can suddenly afford to give up work, or do already have significant other that provides and affords them to stay home - I don't see how emigrating changes their lifestyle to any great extent.

I had to work when I was in the UK and work more hours here to earn less money and I am no different to all the other people I associate with in NZ, all bar a few stay at home mums who seem to spend the majority of the day on Facebook, at coffee mornings or at the mall. I don't see any people who spend their days at the beach, visiting wineries, climbing mountains, kayaking and windsurfing; unless they are on holiday.

Like most women that work full-time I spend most of my time juggling to keep the show on the road and mostly feeling utterly exhausted and inadequate ; trying to be the domestic goddess, catching up on jobs at home, growing our own veg and keeping up some semblance of a grooming regime and the appearances that life's a breeze and we live in a reasonably clean and presentable house.

Simply never enough time and if anyone has the solution, or a fail safe get rich scheme, I'd like to hear about it.

unique to me, i dont need to work full time, we brought money from the uk here to have a better lifestyle, the weather is nicer i feel like im on a long holiday when the suns out and im sitting with a friend having brunch watching people go buy.

i dont think i need to take up rock climbing and bungee jumping just because i live in New Zealand

i have more of a social life here and a better house that i would not be able to afford it the UK.

going to a kiwi friends bach next friday for the night just walking along the beach having some wine conversation and bbq just simply awesome

i never bothered to go running in the UK... such beatuful places to run in NZ.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Bingo !!

Thats what I was trying to say, Its ok having a million activities to do but when your not doing

Its like living in sleepy hollow and having a few toys to play with, when your not playing with toys ?????
me too...

NZ,,,yawn : (

Last edited by crap coffee; Feb 9th 2012 at 6:31 am.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 10:13 am
`

To me NZ lifestyle means beaches, nature and sports..
but I had that already in the UK & at virtually no cost at all. . We did this. We can't do that here. It is all so much less affordable for us.

I wanted to learn to horse ride when still back in the UK . I'd done a bit but never learned properly. I'd saved for lessons just before we decided to come here.
Now we are here I could never afford such a thing. I could never save for it . It's out of my reach.

I mourn the loss of learning new things. Doing new things. Being spontaneous.

We simply can't afford it.

Even a simple evening out or a lunch has to be carefully budgeted for. An overnighter somewhere wipes out the weekly budget.

It's how it is for us. Not others. But it is not how it was for us before we came here.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:03 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
i dont need to work full time, we brought money from the uk here to have a better lifestyle
Originally Posted by BEVS
We can't do that here. It is all so much less affordable for us.
<snip>
Now we are here I could never afford such a thing. I could never save for it . It's out of my reach.
<snip>
It's how it is for us. Not others. But it is not how it was for us before we came here.
Yeah, I reckon that's the nub of achieving the illusive "lifestyle"- a nice wodge of UK equity (which was a hell of a lot easier to do ten years ago!), or have a mend and make do mindset and never have had much anyway. You've got to get something really tangible out of the move that you didn't or couldn't have in the UK ... otherwise what's the point?!

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
all bar a few stay at home mums who seem to spend the majority of the day on Facebook, at coffee mornings or at the mall. <snip>
Like most women that work full-time I spend most of my time juggling to keep the show on the road and mostly feeling utterly exhausted and inadequate
I've been a stay-at-home parent for 14 years (although I've done the odd part time job, been a student and had periods where I've home schooled my kids in that time too). I find it quite upsetting how working mothers often ridicule and look down on mothers who choose to stay at home but I also find it ironic that in the same breath they confess to being "utterly exhausted and inadequate". Our choice has had consequences- as I've said on here often we manage on one income, which does not afford a very flash life- but I'm happy with the choice I made and I enjoy the positive pay offs, as do my children and husband, but I don't put women down who make a different choice and I do offer lots of tea and sympathy to my working pals who are wrung out and strung out. In return they offer me tea and sympathy when I'm feeling dissatisfied and bored- I don't think there's any right or easy solution for women, but it would be easier if we didn't turn on each other.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Bingo !!

Reminds me of a European couple who were on holidays here in NZ during Christmas. It was raining, raining, raining and they were trapped in their campervan. They couldn't go to the beach or climb the mountains. There was just nothing to do and they were happy when their vacation ended and they could return to the UK and go back to work (and they stayed in Auckland!!).

Last edited by Assanah; Feb 9th 2012 at 6:20 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
but I had that already in the UK & at virtually no cost at all. . We did this. We can't do that here. It is all so much less affordable for us.

I wanted to learn to horse ride when still back in the UK . I'd done a bit but never learned properly. I'd saved for lessons just before we decided to come here.

I mourn the loss of learning new things. Doing new things. Being spontaneous.

We simply can't afford it.

Even a simple evening out or a lunch has to be carefully budgeted for. An overnighter somewhere wipes out the weekly budget.

Bevs, you are so right, of course. Most important thing for any lifestyle is money!! We rented a very small old house in Auckland - reminds me of my time as a student. It is still violently expensive but OK for us to pay. So we have some money left to pay for sports and a trip to Australia. But if we wanted to have a nice place to live like we used to have in Berlin no chance for us to finance travelling and kite surfing!!

We didn't have access to beaches in Berlin though! But the UK is different. That is why I never understand a lot of the posters from Britain who always point out that the beaches are so great in NZ. I always thought that the beaches in the UK are fantastic and most people have easy access to them. In Germany most of us live hours away from the next beach. So moving to NZ did in fact bring a positive lifestyle change for us. However, I still think it is too quiet here for me and I also have problems with the attitude at work. I like a job well done in a timely manner! Here, work pace is slow and not many people seem to be interested in doing their job well. And biggest loss for me is my family and friends. Kiwis are all well integrated and family is very important and they still have their friends from primary school and no interest in meeting new people. So I feel a little bit isolated as well.

Last edited by Assanah; Feb 9th 2012 at 6:26 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:13 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What is meant by 'Lifestyle'

In Germany most of us live hours away from the next beach.
.....and what's wrong with Travemunde?

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.