Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

what makes you stay in NZ

what makes you stay in NZ

Old Jul 23rd 2013, 8:29 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what makes you stay in NZ

I made a list of why I want out of the UK and into NZ. It's on this pc and I visit it sometimes........nothing has changed (both lists may have grown). Any pangs I get are just the natural feeling that I am missing something, they will decline with time.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 9:13 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
I think a lot of people on here are not really honest about why they left the UK. Most people say they left for the adventure. I mean, REALLY!? Maybe for some, but there are an awful lot of people that say this. I think lots of people thought that NZ would offer them a better life, nothing wrong with that. But for lots of people it has not lived up to the hype, or they feel they don't fit in and can't fit in with kiwi culture. It really is very different here, lots of great stuff to take advantage of, but lots of struggles to be had especially financially if you underestimate the high cost of living. There is nothing wrong with needing a break from the UK, get out of the ratrace for a bit, i think it makes some people appreciate the UK/Europe and all they offer all the more.

I don't think you can EVER predict how you will feel when you move here as it is so different actually living here full time as opposed to holiday. And I say that as a kiwi!

I think your plan sounds perfect, keep your options open!

Hard to tell as I think most of us don't post everything about our lives and reasons on here.
I did leave for an adventure as I'm not sure how else I would describe it - it's not your typical migrant story As such I cannot really relate to those who were desperate to leave the UK or to come to NZ. I can understand but I did not feel that urge My life was actually very similar in both countries. For me, it was a case of give it a go, nothing to lose. My plans were to return to the UK if it all went pear shaped!

But yes you can never predict exactly how you'll feel when you live in a different country
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 9:33 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Dannigirl and Persephone.

Especially Dannigirl's remark regarding how honest some people are about their reasons for emigrating. I don't say that to make anyone's hackles rise, either.

Some people don't so much emigrate as run away from what's gone wrong with their life. Re-invent themselves. A fresh start ? Nothing wrong with that. I just wonder why the fresh start was needed and how honest they are being with themselves. Especially when they expect the fresh start to carry them through with little or no effort from themselves. Like on those relocate to a different country programmes on t.v.

When my husband said simply, 'we could sell this house and buy one in New Zealand outright and live mortgage free. We both get jobs and have more disposable income'.

I didn't do much more than shrug my shoulders and say, 'ok'. As far as I'm concerned, all I really did was move house. (He has history in NZ since emigrating with his family from Britain in the 1960's which I don't have. I told him this might come between us. That was yet something else he wasn't prepared to entertain.)

If it worked, I didn't want to miss out ! My husband wouldn't really entertain the idea of it not working. Kiwi's returning to NZ. What can I say

Suffice to say, he's had a steep learning curve !

If the only thing that would stop him griping about moving to NZ was to move to NZ then that explains why I agreed. Did I do it to teach him a lesson ? Me ? Surely not !

I didn't want to be the, 'bad guy' for saying no. I didn't want a sour atmosphere between us (for months, drifting into years) until I eventually told him to go to New Zealand, or anywhere, just go. Preferably via the divorce lawyers office.

Emotional blackmail. Nah, surely not. I hadn't heard the expression, 'the emotional gun' until recently. I have been known to say, in the heat of the moment, 'the next time you hold the emotional gun to my head, I will tell you to pull the effing trigger'.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 23rd 2013 at 10:01 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

kodachrome is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm wondering now was this the intent of this thread... A consensus based on this thread paints an incredibly bleak view of immigration to NZ..
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by paddy234
Judging from alot of people many will be happy to return to the UK. Do they forget why they wanted to leave the UK, so much so that it was worth the risk leaving or is it simply a case of the grass not being greener which is what they expected? Just wondering as i really am trying to grasp what to expect so i don't go with rose tinted glasses. I'm only going over with WHV however depending on how i feel and with work i might try for residency after a couple of year's
Oh I was over the moon to leave the UK and my goodness, going back would mean going back to the problems I wanted to get away from.

I think for us, it's because of the changes to our lifes that is what is making us consider returning. Also, the recent legislation changes etc. We've been here 21 months, we know cost of living is expensive but we get by. But when you see items of importance that change, then sometimes you have to put personal issues aside and think what is best for everyone, not for you, not not for family, but for everyone.

You can never predict what the future holds for you and if something changes for the negative, you have to deal with it. I'm sure there'll be plenty of pros an cons when the 1st November comes and d-day hits for us whether to apply or not to apply.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Hard to tell as I think most of us don't post everything about our lives and reasons on here.
I did leave for an adventure as I'm not sure how else I would describe it - it's not your typical migrant story As such I cannot really relate to those who were desperate to leave the UK or to come to NZ. I can understand but I did not feel that urge My life was actually very similar in both countries. For me, it was a case of give it a go, nothing to lose. My plans were to return to the UK if it all went pear shaped!

But yes you can never predict exactly how you'll feel when you live in a different country
Too true about not posting everything about our lives, especially our own personal baggage. Like Snapshot's husband I have had a rather steep learning curve coming back. I definitely had personal baggage coming back to NZ (not that i particularly realised at the time). I've realised that my family is quite dysfunctional - not in a bad or abusive way, but there are things I definitely don't like about it i.e my brother is of the harden up or eff off camp! I now realise I quite living away from them!

Our day to day lives are very similar too (blimmin' children impeding our social life mostly ) but there are, as ever, pros and cons to each country.

I wasn't trying to have a dig at anyone in particular, just that there seems to be an awful amount of people out for the "adventure". So...my confession is....I really felt NZ would give us a better lifestyle for our young family, and it has hands down. But the cost of that IMHO is less exposure to "the world", potentially growing up insular, parochial, thinking NZ is the best country in the world and not being open minded. I was probably quite like this . I've now seen the light, and I don't mean to criticise anyone raising children in NZ at all, or other peoples' choices, but for us we think raising our children back in the UK is what we will do, mostly because of our close relationships with family over there (and before mentioned reasons and some others).

Old Jul 24th 2013, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

My great job over here, the weather, my lovely home and garden, and our four dogs, all makes me stay here. There are new friends I would miss a lot if I left.

All the above in no particular order.

Neil says he stays in NZ cos I'm here.

Simple

Jan

PS we live near Christchurch and it hasn't been easy emotionally, but loads of stuff is not easy..... in loads of countries

Last edited by Jan n Neil; Jul 24th 2013 at 4:05 am.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 6:49 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

We're better off financially, have a better house and big garden, have good friends, good jobs.
We were ready to move away from London and it was getting to the depressing stage where OH just could not get work, so we thought we'd give NZ a go and luckily we both love it. It's also given us a change enough to change or life style to a slightly more outdoors-y one.....I just don't know if moving somewhere else in the UK would have given us that mentality change.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

see my last post - I think the saying is 'fonder' not stronger! and yes, Dannigirl, I think a lot of people think NZ will be like home with sun and people playing sport all day and growing their own veg. Someone I met did say that to me. I expected some nirvana of an eco-friendly green and pleasant land. Naive idiot! hey ho!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 4:03 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Too true about not posting everything about our lives, especially our own personal baggage. Like Snapshot's husband I have had a rather steep learning curve coming back. I definitely had personal baggage coming back to NZ (not that i particularly realised at the time). I've realised that my family is quite dysfunctional - not in a bad or abusive way, but there are things I definitely don't like about it i.e my brother is of the harden up or eff off camp! I now realise I quite living away from them!

Our day to day lives are very similar too (blimmin' children impeding our social life mostly ) but there are, as ever, pros and cons to each country.

I wasn't trying to have a dig at anyone in particular, just that there seems to be an awful amount of people out for the "adventure". So...my confession is....I really felt NZ would give us a better lifestyle for our young family, and it has hands down. But the cost of that IMHO is less exposure to "the world", potentially growing up insular, parochial, thinking NZ is the best country in the world and not being open minded. I was probably quite like this . I've now seen the light, and I don't mean to criticise anyone raising children in NZ at all, or other peoples' choices, but for us we think raising our children back in the UK is what we will do, mostly because of our close relationships with family over there (and before mentioned reasons and some others).

Families can be a pain in the arse sometimes

I didn't take it as a dig at anyone and certainly not at me. However I was aware my post could come across that way and deliberately tried to make it less so. I do agree that very few people would come all this way just for 'adventure' in its own right. There is usually something else driving it whether that be a better life, a more outdoors life, a job opportunity or for various reasons they want to leave the UK. Some are pushed and some are pulled to NZ.
My adventure could well have failed but it did not and we are now married. You could say I came for relationship reasons [via a Peruvian holiday romance!] or you could describe it as a two year long bout of insanity where I decided to do something totally out of character
Old Jul 26th 2013, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tom1000
Hi I came accross this forum while looking at articles on the recent quake and wondered what it is that keeps all you expats living over there? We had considered a move a few years ago but after reading about the cost of living and substandard housing as well as the earthquake issue we thought it was not somewhere we would be happy. It seemed like such a long way to go from friends and family to find things such a struggle.
Anyway just wondered what was the pull to NZ and did it turn out as you hoped?
Got no money to go home!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'm a kiwi with british grandparents, grew up in chch, lived and worked in the uk for 10 years and then came back to NZ. I was in chch for all the earthquakes and it was heartbreaking to see what happened especially to Sumner and Redcliffs (where I grew up) but at the same time is was an experience that not many people in the world get to have and it makes you look at the world differently that's for sure ( I can't abide any b.s now) Both my primary school and my high school have been closed forever.

I came back to Nz as the cost of living used to be way cheaper here than the uk and europe and easy to buy a house if you wanted etc. Within the last 5-10 years or so that's changed big time and the wages have stayed the same and have not risen to meet the cost of living.I miss being able to travel easily as the uk seems to be in the centre of everything whereas nz is isolated. There are so many places I want to travel to again and yet flying 30 hours with 3 stopovers is unappealing. In the Uk one plane ride and you are in africa or india. I never understood how so many brits had never travelled. It's in the blood, the wonderlust that kiwis have - maybe because of the isolation!

In a global world it's not fair to be having to pay for everything in kiwi dollars - so much better to be earning uk dollars. Mobile phone usage is very expensive in nz and it costs you $35 for every doctors visit,and that's not including the drugs and then they start you off on the lowest dose for what you need and they then say "you can come back it this drug doesn't work and then we will try a stronger drug" so then you have to pay another $35 . The doctors should not make money out of illness I don't reckon.And the dentist is very expensive. Try buying a house in Auckland where the average house price in Auckland is approx $600k, so you need $200k for the deposit.(100 thousand pounds)

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Jul 27th 2013 at 12:18 am.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
There are so many places I want to travel to again and yet flying 30 hours with 3 stopovers is unappealing. In the Uk one plane ride and you are in africa or india. I never understood how so many brits had never travelled.
Unappealing, yes, very much so. We were extremely well travelled in the UK and have been across the globe and back, dozens of times, but I make you right, the very thought of that 30 hour journey fills me with absolute dread.

The cost of getting out of NZ is the ultimate limiting factor for us and we simply can no longer afford the lifestyle we were accustomed to.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:14 am
Just Joined

Kuandika is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest there seemed little point in hanging on to the mines when demand had dropped and cheaper coal could be imported. It would have been like churning out millions of gas mantles!
I live in Mexico but have family in NZ which I think is a great place to be.
Bear in mind there is NO Utopia.
One point you didn't mention was the relentless demands/threats/insistence on laws being changed on the part of one aggressive religion.
Any criticism never fails to bring accusations of "Racism" and "Xenophobia' which have now become threadbare. In the last sixty years people from all over the world have settled in Britain, enjoyed the freedoms and its culture and even added to the latter.
ONE group alone has remained totally apart and ungrateful, constantly simmering as they try to impose change on their hosts, frequently informing us how much they dislike our culture, yet taking full advantage of it having escaped their own repressive regimes.
I began to find I was gradually becoming increasingly angry about this and felt the need to get away.
I predict that there will be street violence in a few years.
Only 2 weeks ago a friend walking home in Victoria, London, was following a group of four young people, two of which were girls rather poorly dressed for the chill evening. A band of young Muslims rushed on them shouting at them to go away and change since this was an area "under Sharia law".
Can you imagine any similarly-minded people even THINKING of behaving in such a way in the Middle East?

Originally Posted by kiwigeordie
Hi Tom. I'm a long timer having emigrated to NZ 27 years ago. I can only comment on life in NZ by making comparisons based on trips back to the UK since being here - the last one 7 years ago.

On that trip I found the UK a depressing place - generally speaking - with most of its manufacturing gone. It seemed as though it had turned into a huge warehouse for overseas goods being moved by foreign trucks and a seemingly endless vista of fast-food outlets. The evidence of which were the discarded cartons lying about the streets.

I come from a mining village which had the guts ripped out of it by pit closure (thanks Maggie). Talking to one local ex-miner in his late 50's, he said the only job he could get was delivering pizzas.

There was a high level of security everwhere which didn't inspire a feeling of relaxation and every second person we spoke to seemed to be East European.

On arriving back in NZ (we still use our UK passports with permanent residence visas) the Immigration officer in the airport said, "Welcome home." We breathed a sigh of relief.

Earthquakes? Sure, we're not called the 'Shaky Isles' for nothing but, Christchurch apart, most shakers cause little damage and are over in seconds. Many people don't even feel the aftershocks which are so loudly trumpeted by the media.

Life here is not idyllic but you have to weigh-up what you want out of life. For our part, NZ has given us opportunities we could not have had in the UK.

If you have relatives you simply can't be without, that's one factor for staying. If you're not someone who is prepared to take a chance - that's another. After all, NZ was originally settled by people who took great risks in getting here and put up with severe hardship when they arrived in order to make a better life for themselves. Compare that with the modern immigrant who is never more than 24 hours from his/her origins.

Pete
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:31 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Kuandika
To be honest there seemed little point in hanging on to the mines when demand had dropped and cheaper coal could be imported. It would have been like churning out millions of gas mantles!
I live in Mexico but have family in NZ which I think is a great place to be.
Bear in mind there is NO Utopia.
One point you didn't mention was the relentless demands/threats/insistence on laws being changed on the part of one aggressive religion.
Any criticism never fails to bring accusations of "Racism" and "Xenophobia' which have now become threadbare. In the last sixty years people from all over the world have settled in Britain, enjoyed the freedoms and its culture and even added to the latter.
ONE group alone has remained totally apart and ungrateful, constantly simmering as they try to impose change on their hosts, frequently informing us how much they dislike our culture, yet taking full advantage of it having escaped their own repressive regimes.
I began to find I was gradually becoming increasingly angry about this and felt the need to get away.
I predict that there will be street violence in a few years.
Only 2 weeks ago a friend walking home in Victoria, London, was following a group of four young people, two of which were girls rather poorly dressed for the chill evening. A band of young Muslims rushed on them shouting at them to go away and change since this was an area "under Sharia law". Can you imagine any similarly-minded people even THINKING of behaving in such a way in the Middle East?
Right, I can safely say these jokers that do this are just attention seekers

I used to live near a place called Leyton and one day the Standard and a few other reporters produced a story about this converted Muslim putting sharia law controlled zone posters up. It was quite funny at the time

Well football day came and off the wife and I go to meet a few of our friends as we were playing Leyton Orient that day. As it was quite a nice mild January, the beers were flowing outside the pub in this so called controlled zone. My wife and I (not even engaged at the time) were holding hands on route

Now there must have been a large group of football fans outside mizing whilst the beers were flowing. No bother at all - the locals were finding it quite funny, saying you'll annoy **** (forgotten his name). It wasn't surprising that he did come out shouting at the fans to stop drinking outside and shouted at non married people who were holding hands, even shouted at women who weren't covered. When he got soaked with ale, beer and lager, it was one of the funniest things you'll ever see. Even the muslims were finding it funny when he walked back to his trough soaking wet

All it is, is attention seeking. Sharia Law despite what Tommy clueless Robinson says, will never ever be bought into England (although I do agree with their methods to punish kiddy fiddlers). They can say whatever they like, it'll never ever happen

Made up for a 4-0 defeat at Brisbane Road

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.