Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What made you decide, "Right we're going"

What made you decide, "Right we're going"

Old May 28th 2008, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

paulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nice
Default What made you decide, "Right we're going"

What was the defining moment where you said, That's it we're going to New Zealand, and where did you end up? and why?

Mine is an ongoing defining moment everyday i travel on a Glasgow bus to work, when i need to watch young guys and girls just rule everything around them, just because they can get away with it.

Also rising fuel rates, food costs, living costs, and lowering house prices coupled with less than inflation wages rises, it's not going to be long before the maths dont add up and we're in deep trouble.

So what drove you away from your original country?
Old May 28th 2008, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What made you decide, "Right we're going"

Sorry I cant fully answer you question as i have lived in NZ for over 30yrs but i wanted to reply to your post as it sounded like you were also describing the way NZ is at the moment.

Wages not going up with the cost of living petrol and mortgage rates sky high i think maybe its a worldwide trend everywhere at the min.
As for kids ruling everything i think thats the same the world over as well some of them seem to have no respect for either themselves or others nowadays
Good luck with your move..
Cheers
Cally
Old May 28th 2008, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

paulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nice
Default Re: What made you decide, "Right we're going"

Well it's weird that you should reply with this, as i have been trawling the site all night, and weighing up the Pro's and Cons of moving, and i'll be worse off financially if i move there, and with the amount of people i read that are quite poor compared to how they were in the UK, it's quite off puting.

I was never one to grumble about money, as i grew up really poor, and always thought you could get by with minimal material possessions, but with kids they soon shake you out of that

Cost of living is crazy everywhere, and these days the world is starting to feel like a prison, with real workers being forced to work so many hours and jobs just to keep thier heads afloat. It's a sad state of affairs :/

My plans were for Sept 09, however i think i'll lay low and save over here, as much as i can, earn more, and work like a trojan, then re-assess when the time is right
Old May 28th 2008, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

toria is an unknown quantity at this point

Our defining moment was the day the underground was bombed in London, won't go into detail, but we pretty much decided there and then......

Cost of living is horrendous everywhere, kiwi's think they've got it bad with immigrations issues and 'youth of today' but in reality they haven't got a clue!

there is little crime here (compared to the UK), hardly any fraud or identify theft, the streets are safe, the schools are great blah blah blah! Kiwis also go on about traffic issues - we find it bliss - and that's still after 2 years of living here!!
Old May 28th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Ecconomics have never come into the equation for me, ecconomic issues are a global problem
not just something created by Gordon Brown as most of the uk tabloids would have you believe.
Its the social problems that we have in the uk that have driven me out.
We leave on the 21st june.
Old May 28th 2008, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Another teenager stabbed,this time it was much closer,in our home town!!
Been thinking for years about coming but that i would say clinched it for me,i had to think of my kids futures. Hubby wanted to come as he was sick to death of all the european immigrates coming in and under cutting jobs for the average working bloke out there who had mortages and bills to pay.
Old May 29th 2008, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Ringing directory enquiries for the phone number for New Zealand House and being asked.. New Zealand is that one word or two.

Rob
Old May 29th 2008, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

The main thing that made us go for it was a sense of adventure... cant really think of anything else. OH got headhunted and offered the job (same company that he worked for in UK).... he texted me "fancy moving to NZ?"..... and 6 months later we were here.
Old May 29th 2008, 3:04 am
Just Joined

yorkshire girl has a spectacular aura aboutyorkshire girl has a spectacular aura aboutyorkshire girl has a spectacular aura about

Finding a syringe outside my grandmas houuse in Skipton.Its a small country town that I thought didn't have a bad drug problem.I was wrong.I didn't want my kids exposed to that.(And after calling police and local council to remove it 2 weeks later it was still there,along with another)
I know we have issues here but where I live It does seem like your a world away from all the bad stuff.
Old May 29th 2008, 3:13 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We must be really easy-going.

We'd been kinda thinking about moving to NZ for some adventure, and because we loved the place on our hols. We had decent jobs and a nice house (well we loved it!) in the UK but were thinking of maybe moving to somewhere bigger.

The defining moment was when I read on a certain forum that the cats would be able to come with us. We filled in the EOI that evening!
Old May 29th 2008, 3:14 am
Banned

cathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nice

Originally Posted by paulst30 View Post
What was the defining moment where you said, That's it we're going to New Zealand, and where did you end up? and why?

Mine is an ongoing defining moment everyday i travel on a Glasgow bus to work, when i need to watch young guys and girls just rule everything around them, just because they can get away with it.

Also rising fuel rates, food costs, living costs, and lowering house prices coupled with less than inflation wages rises, it's not going to be long before the maths dont add up and we're in deep trouble.

They sound like all the reasons why we moved from New Zealand and now the maths is adding up and we're a lot happier. New Zealand has all of the same problems that Bitain has except you'll be poor and cold and a long way from home but in Britain you'd just be poor. Being fed up with Britain isn't a good enough reason to leave you need to want what New Zealand has and before you leave you need to make sure she will give it to you.
Old May 29th 2008, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Lack of space, crowds, not enough money at the end of the month, way too much crime right on my doorstep day in and day out. Way too much drugs in my neighbourhood ditto violent crime.

All the latter go on in NZ but not under my nose. Now we have endless space, mountain views, a fantastic, warm, dream home and the beach is only 35 mins away.

I live in an almost crime free neighbourhood, there's plenty of crime in town, like most places in the world (we are about 3-4 ks out of town), but now I don't have to live with hoodies, burglars and psyhcotic people on my doorstep. Where we lived there were limited things for kids to do, we find Palmy very, very child orientated. The UK is not. There are toys virtually EVERYWHERE you go from the lawyers to the mortgage brokers for your kids to plat with. They are welcome almost anywhere.

We are FAR better off financially even though we earn way less than we did in the UK. We now work less than 40hrs a week betwixt us rather than 60 plus.

NZ has far exceeded all our expectations but we did our sums and knew we would be better off here. I doubt we would be so content if we lived in a cold shed and had no money.
Old May 29th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

I was adamant I was not leaving Scotland,even more so when my mum became very unwell. But my best friend moved and after listening to her and my OH for 2 years going on about how much better life could be for my 2 boys I stopped being pig-headed and listened to what they were saying. We are aware we will not be well off financially but thinking about all the pros for my boys with my head rather than my heart I could see what they were saying could be true. Then they tried to blow up Glasgow airport which is only 10 mins away,almost directly across the River Clyde from me and I started to really think about moving. I want my boys to go to school where there is no barbed wire fences around the playground or where kids have booze in their bags at school,I want them to be away from the knife culture we seem to having more and more here,I want them to be able to be children for as long as possible,I want them to be able to enjoy the outdoor life with their dad that they love so much without having to pay an arm and a leg to do it or worry that the yobs from the city have moved in because it's a nice day and they fancied a drive to the country with their cheap lager and drugs then leave their rubbish at their arses :curse::curse:. I know NZ has it's problems like the rest of the world along with increasing costs of everything,but I want to be able to say that at least I tried to do something better for my family and not regret never having done it.

Sorry for the rant but I've never really written any of this down before,has been cathartic for me. Thanks for asking the original question;you have just made me realise finally that I indeed want to go to NZ 110%

Phyllis
Old May 29th 2008, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

themoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by RobClubley View Post
We must be really easy-going.

We'd been kinda thinking about moving to NZ for some adventure, and because we loved the place on our hols. We had decent jobs and a nice house (well we loved it!) in the UK but were thinking of maybe moving to somewhere bigger.

The defining moment was when I read on a certain forum that the cats would be able to come with us. We filled in the EOI that evening!

That sounds exactly like us. Went to Oz and here for a holiday 2 years ago and got home, thinking that we would like to see more. Only have one life and I really didn't want to get to 80 only having lived in one place my whole life, wanted to be think that had experienced somewhere else. We had god jobs, nice home and friends.

But, what an experience this has been. Ok, so we are only 6, months in,so my opinion could change. We are not any worse off, better house, the kids are just loving school and really thriving. They seem to have a better lifestyle. We now eat together for tea every night as my husband commutes about 20 mins instead of 1 1/2 hours. I could go on, its just a more laid back lifestyle so we all feel a lot less stressed.
Old May 29th 2008, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, I think 3.5 million people in NZ would nod there heads sagely and fully understand how you are feeling. The difference being that this is not a new thing for NZ; for most the maths have never added up

Originally Posted by cathyc View Post
New Zealand has all of the same problems that Bitain has except you'll be poor and cold and a long way from home but in Britain you'd just be poor. Being fed up with Britain isn't a good enough reason to leave you need to want what New Zealand has and before you leave you need to make sure she will give it to you.
Karma for that one! Anyone leaving the UK for cost of living or financial reasons, really ought to go back to square one with the calculator and have a long hard think how they will fare any better in NZ.

Moving to NZ will not miraculously make the woes of the world go away, nor will it help anyone already struggling with having too much month and not enough money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.