Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What to look for in a house

What to look for in a house

Old May 31st 2006, 6:59 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to look for in a house

I think I like the sound of Palmerston North, and have been looking at the properties for sale out there.

This is where I get a bit stuck. Which decade in the 20th century produced the most structurally sound houses?!

for example, some of the sturdiest houses built in the UK were built in the 50s - the council houses. My house is 20 years old, and has thin walls etc.

So hoping my question makes sense - what age of house should we be seeking? Or should I ask if there is a definitive list of hints and tips for Brits purchasing property in NZ?

or shall i give up now?! LOL...
Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What to look for in a house

Not sure at all about Palmerston North but here in Auckland there is a problem with houses built fairly recently that leak. They are of a particular type of house, more like what you would expect to find in the Mediterranean.
http://www.consumerbuild.org.nz/publish/leaky.php This might be of some help in what to avoid!
We are in the middle of buying our first home here and our lenders want a full builders report on anything built between 1990 and 2005. I think the brick and tile houses are the sturdiest, the estate agents seem to make a big deal out of them anyway, the one we are currently renting is brick and tile and seems fine!
The best way really is actually viewing them although that doesn't help if you are not here yet. We must have looked at dozens now and you get a feel of how sturdy they are when you walk around.
Wood houses are popular but seem strange at first. We looked at one that was just completely wood, wood panelling on all the interior walls, it was weird to us and I dont think I would want to live in one but they must be fine as they are still being built that way.
Hope this helps but I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people on here that can help more!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Insulation !!!

Gardens that aren't too big, if you aren't a "natural" gardener, as they can be hard work to maintain.

Double garage, to store all that outdoor stuff, bikes, kayaks etc.

Facing the sun !!

Good indoor/outdoor flow, nice patio doors {ranch sliders} and a great patio/deck to sit on, as the summers can be very hot.

Plenty of storage cupboards.

Heated towel rail and heat light/extractor in the bathroom. A must if you don't have central heating {LOL LOL !!}.

Central Heating or a system that covers most of the house, e.g. log fire and heat pumps.

Good neighbours, goes with out saying the trouble bad ones can cause/bring.

Something you can heat easily. Big rooms can be difficult to heat and keep warm in winter.

No musty damp smells.

Gill
Old Jun 4th 2006, 11:38 am
livewire

I'd agree with the above.

Good indoor/outdoor flow. People use their outdoor areas for entertaining a lot more than they do in the UK so a good set of ranchsliders close to the kitchen or main living areas is very useful. Triple stackers or bifolds are also nice because you can open them a bit wider than a ranchslider.

Heating. Something like a wood burner, underfloor heating, a heat pump, sufficient plugs for electric heaters - whatever you can find. If you buy a house with a woodburner make sure you have a good supply of prepared and seasoned (Dry) wood before the winter sets in or you'll be forever hunting it down or waiting for someone to chop it up for you.

Insulation. Underfloor (suspended wooden floors can be very draughty and cold) batts in the walls and ceilings

Good draught proofing and absence of condensation/mould growth.

A view from a hill or out over the sea. (We like our views ) Flat land is all well and good but a view will add a lot of value to your house, higher land also tends to be drier and less prone to water logging. Seafront sections will realise the highest prices.

Room for - the kids, the boat, the pets, chickens of whatever else you have. Houses often have a rumpus room/family room. Basements can be cold and damp.

Water and waste disposal. You don't have to travel far from the towns before you're on septic tanks and rainwater tanks. Are the tanks that come with the house big enough, in good condition and well maintained? If there is bore water is the right to take it protected ? How often did the vendors have to have water delivered in the last 12 months?

Old Jun 4th 2006, 1:43 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

blimey - thats a whole new concept, getting water delivered LOL.

i have a few rolls of insulation still sealed. Is it worth bringing over?

thanks so much for your posts - they are really useful and given me lots to think about

:scared: