Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What is it like to live in Tauranga???

What is it like to live in Tauranga???

Old Aug 9th 2009, 6:41 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light
Question What is it like to live in Tauranga???

Hi, me, oh and 2 sons hopefully will be coming to tauranga in jan 2010, already have a job working for Guardian Healthcare (now Bupa apparently). What are we gonna like and may dislike? I will be working on I think its davenport or devonport rd, by the harbour, so guess will be living around there and will have to find a school for the boys, they will be 13 and nearly 16 when we arrive. Any help/tips, we would be so grateful as having trouble with the younger one (does not want to go at all)!!!
Lots of ???? I know, cheers.

Tina.x
Old Aug 9th 2009, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

sparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nice
Default Re: What is it like to live in Tauranga???

Hi dont know what its like to live there but we went there last February when we were over and decided that was where we want to settle. Bethlehem seems a really nice area. OH works for Beds PCT at mo and we will hopefully look to move in 2012 when our kids will then be 13 & 16. Please keep posting when you get there or PM me to lets us know how you get on.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 7:23 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: What is it like to live in Tauranga???

Originally Posted by sparkywater
Hi dont know what its like to live there but we went there last February when we were over and decided that was where we want to settle. Bethlehem seems a really nice area. OH works for Beds PCT at mo and we will hopefully look to move in 2012 when our kids will then be 13 & 16. Please keep posting when you get there or PM me to lets us know how you get on.
Thats brill, thank you all advice will help us. Keep with your dream and you will get there!!! Will def keep posting, dont think I can do without this site now, lol.

Tina.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 10:54 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is it like to live in Tauranga???

Originally Posted by willand tina_h
Hi, me, oh and 2 sons hopefully will be coming to tauranga in jan 2010, already have a job working for Guardian Healthcare (now Bupa apparently). What are we gonna like and may dislike? I will be working on I think its davenport or devonport rd, by the harbour, so guess will be living around there and will have to find a school for the boys, they will be 13 and nearly 16 when we arrive. Any help/tips, we would be so grateful as having trouble with the younger one (does not want to go at all)!!!
Lots of ???? I know, cheers.

Tina.x
Hi Tina,

We live in a Papamoa, which is on a small peninsula of land over Tauranga Harbour Bridge. Tauranga as a whole is a big area and covers many such "suburbs." It would be down to whether you want views, rural, city or beach really as that will decide the area. In Papamoa and Mount Maunganui we are most definately beach living! It's all about the 25km+ stretch of golden sand lapping the Pacific Ocean , the surf, the sun, ahhh, I'll stop for fear of sounding like a Tourism advert!

We have 4 kids aged, 17, 14, 10 and 6 and there is plenty for all of them to do - and us too! Some good schools, some seem not so good. Primaries are heavily zoned here, apart from Mount Primary that is not. Have a look in the Wiki at City Guide Tauranga and there are some links to some of the schools. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tauranga_City_Guide

Our doctors are good, same day appointments, nice people - and you usually get about half an hour if you need it! But as with all of NZ you pay for it.

Cost of housing in Tauranga is one of the most unaffordable in comparison to wages - which are some of the lowest! However, as with anywhere, there are still some ways to get a deal and some of the new build stuff and housing in Papamoa East which is next to be developed are cheaper. Tauranga itself is cheaper than Papamoa and the Mount.

Have a look at www.eves.co.nz and www.realestate.co.nz

Use the "Search Forum" tool on the left blue task bar above the main forum threads to find previous threads on Tauranga.

It's Devonport Road - runs through the main bit of the CBD downtown. If you have harbour views you must be up high as the ground floor shops etc don't.

Good luck.

Last edited by Am Loolah; Aug 10th 2009 at 10:08 am.