British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   To what lengths would you go? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-lengths-would-you-go-595343/)

Trenchfoot Mar 4th 2009 6:01 am

To what lengths would you go?

So, I'm 40-something. Not over the hill, fit enough to do a couple of bush walks every week (one around 10 kms), still very young at heart, don't usually wince when I sit down or wheeze when I sand up. So in summary no where near retirement or anything like that.

But, being somewhat out on a limb here, what with knowing no one and going slowly stir crazy because I'm working from home, tonight I walked in to the bowling club to enquire about membership.

Not the trendy 10-pin bowling mind, the crown green type. Y'know... dairy board outfits and white knee length socks (and that's just the blokes).

Not that I have anything against bowls or bowlers. I just didn't see me even thinking about joining a bowling club till I'd picked up my bus pass, had a repeat prescription for incontinence meds and needed to keep my address handy on a piece of paper.

So what have other newbies done when first they arrived to start making some mates?

I've got my first bowls lesson on the 22nd!

Trench

Genesis Mar 4th 2009 6:18 am

Re: To what lengths would you go?

Originally Posted by Trenchfoot (Post 7343749)
So, I'm 40-something. Not over the hill, fit enough to do a couple of bush walks every week (one around 10 kms), still very young at heart, don't usually wince when I sit down or wheeze when I sand up. So in summary no where near retirement or anything like that.

But, being somewhat out on a limb here, what with knowing no one and going slowly stir crazy because I'm working from home, tonight I walked in to the bowling club to enquire about membership.

Not the trendy 10-pin bowling mind, the crown green type. Y'know... dairy board outfits and white knee length socks (and that's just the blokes).

Not that I have anything against bowls or bowlers. I just didn't see me even thinking about joining a bowling club till I'd picked up my bus pass, had a repeat prescription for incontinence meds and needed to keep my address handy on a piece of paper.

So what have other newbies done when first they arrived to start making some mates?

Trench

Good on you!! 4 years ago when I 1st got here I knocked on a neighbour's door as they had kiddie stuff in their garden. A young lady who was chilean answered he door and I said' hullo, do you have young children? ' Fortunately she was not very good with english (thus did not see the potential wrong end of my verbal stick) and was very friendly. We all became firm friends and our kids all went to toddlers group together.

nero Mar 4th 2009 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Trenchfoot (Post 7343749)

Trench

Good for you - the couple of bowls clubs I have visited have had a variety of ages of people playing and of both sexes. Plus alot of them have bars with subsidised drinks, which is always good news.

On arrival we joined a local swimming club - even though I could only do breast stroke and poor back stroke at the time, they did not laugh. I am now a dab hand at freestyle and can swim kilometres (just) and not metres (lol). In Auckland there are a number of tramping clubs (lots of walks of varying difficulty and allow you to get to know the area), there is an expat group and the cycle touring club here in Auckland is very friendly as well. We have made some great friends through these varied routes, so good luck.

Trenchfoot Mar 5th 2009 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 7343773)
I said' hullo, do you have young children? ' Fortunately she was not very good with english (thus did not see the potential wrong end of my verbal stick) and was very friendly.

That is bloody brilliant!

In the UK you'd have been surrounded by a mob armed with flaming torches and pitchforks faster than you could say 'phone The Sun, love, I've found a peado'

I'm not sure I'll try your tack as I know our new neighbours speak pretty good English!

Trenchfoot Mar 5th 2009 1:14 am

Originally Posted by nero (Post 7343835)
alot of them have bars with subsidised drinks, which is always good news..

Now you really have my attention ;)

Originally Posted by nero (Post 7343835)
In Auckland there are a number of tramping clubs (lots of walks of varying difficulty and allow you to get to know the area), there is an expat group and the cycle touring club here in Auckland is very friendly as well. We have made some great friends through these varied routes, so good luck.

This is really good to hear. The group I walk with on Thursdays in the Waitakere Ranges are already becoming semi-friends, few more weeks and I reckon we'll be inviting each other to BBQs etc.

If nothing else, my efforts to make friends should keep me quite fit!

Kiwiprincess Mar 5th 2009 1:21 am

Lawn bowls have become quite the in thing apparently. For the last couple of years the universities have offered lawn bowls as an option. Quite popular for work related social activities too.

After all, any game which allows you to sip wine whilst playing has got to be a good thing. Right? :)

Trenchfoot Mar 5th 2009 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess (Post 7346529)

After all, any game which allows you to sip wine whilst playing has got to be a good thing. Right? :)

That is a very valid point!

Charismatic Mar 5th 2009 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess (Post 7346529)

Sounds like my type of fun, do they test for drugs? ;)

Kiwiprincess Mar 5th 2009 3:20 am

Nah. The hormone replacement therapy meds keep giving false positives.