Reload this Page >

What items are not allowed in?

What items are not allowed in?

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

dougslug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What items are not allowed in?

Hi

Is there a list anywhere which details the household goods that you are not allowed to bring over with you when you immigrate?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of
Default Re: What items are not allowed in?

Will I be able to put teabags in my container?!?! (I'm aware how English this is!!!!)
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

We put tea bags in our suitcase when we went to visit last time. I put them in the pocket at the front. I told customs and they waved us through. If they had said no I would have just taken them out and put them in a bin so I would think they are OK in your container.

Having said that their tea bags are OK because when I used our own they did not taste the same as at home so it must be the water. Remember they are upside down there as well. LOL

June
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:35 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.transinternational.co.nz/movenz.stm
and
http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/declare

I've heard about people not taking in feather duvets cane furniture, wooden stuff etc. We took all of these things and it was no problem. Things of ours that MAF wanted to look at were
vacuum cleaner
tent
hiking stuff
bikes
garden stuff
I think that was it. Just clean these things.We were allowed everything we packed.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

dougslug is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks pixi-dust, exactly what I was after ...
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Lynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dougslug
Hi

Is there a list anywhere which details the household goods that you are not allowed to bring over with you when you immigrate?

Thanks in advance.
We have had a couple of shipping companies out to quote and they all say no wicker, as in chairs, baskets etc. Apparently MAF can apply a $35 cleaning fee per item, whatever size, and you have to pay, there is no longer a "just biff it option" due to the masses of stuff people were chancing to bring in!
Were still uncertain whether to chance it as our dining room chairs are wicker, not to mention numerous baskets.....!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:39 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne sinclair
We have had a couple of shipping companies out to quote and they all say no wicker, as in chairs, baskets etc. Apparently MAF can apply a $35 cleaning fee per item, whatever size, and you have to pay, there is no longer a "just biff it option" due to the masses of stuff people were chancing to bring in!
Were still uncertain whether to chance it as our dining room chairs are wicker, not to mention numerous baskets.....!
you will find that there are loads of us that took wicker - I took numerous baskets and the dog bed. MAF didn't even ask to see it. What I did was ignore the advice of the shippers - a lot of it was actually incorrect. I called MAF directly. They were incredibly helpful and put our minds at rest about what we could and couldn't take ( there was actually nothing we couldn't take that we wanted to)
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Lynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant future

Thank you Pixi-Dust i may phone MAF then just for piece of mind, I'd obviously hate to take stuff, incurr a cleaning fee and be fined for not declaring, so thanks for your advice!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 3:10 am
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lynne sinclair
Thank you Pixi-Dust i may phone MAF then just for piece of mind, I'd obviously hate to take stuff, incurr a cleaning fee and be fined for not declaring, so thanks for your advice!
I am sooooo gutted as did not bring any of my wicker stuff (and that was a lot) meet so many people that brought theirs and had no probs, I should have checked I think, too late now as many friends and family enjoying it all and I get tea bags delivered every few weeks from family awwwhhhh tetley tea love them, dont get any probs with them coming through customs, I cannot drink their tea bags, but yes water is very different here, we use a filter jug and so does almost everyone else we know. xx
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 5:24 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willand tina_h
I am sooooo gutted as did not bring any of my wicker stuff (and that was a lot) meet so many people that brought theirs and had no probs, I should have checked I think, too late now as many friends and family enjoying it all and I get tea bags delivered every few weeks from family awwwhhhh tetley tea love them, dont get any probs with them coming through customs, I cannot drink their tea bags, but yes water is very different here, we use a filter jug and so does almost everyone else we know. xx
Nothing like living on the edge eh?....
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 5:43 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What items are not allowed in?

Originally Posted by willand tina_h
...but yes water is very different here...
I noticed this as well, but then I remembered that in the UK my water came through Victorian lead lined pipes and sat in a filthy old reservoir for days before getting to my house. This may have had some effect on the taste TBH .

NZ water can be absolute top notch in some parts .
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Nuclear weapons and any component parts thereof are a big no-no
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 5:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Nuclear weapons and any component parts thereof are a big no-no
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

we bought over wicker sofa, baskets, tent, bikes, hoover and wine
all the packers said no, we did not have any problems, to be honest MAF are more interested in xmas decs that might have pine cones on this is an absolute no and they will be ripped of the decoration if they are found.