British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What items are not allowed in? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-items-not-allowed-673539/)

dougslug Jun 22nd 2010 5:47 pm

What items are not allowed in?

Hi

Is there a list anywhere which details the household goods that you are not allowed to bring over with you when you immigrate?

Thanks in advance.

zoexr Jun 22nd 2010 6:51 pm

Re: What items are not allowed in?

Will I be able to put teabags in my container?!?! (I'm aware how English this is!!!!):o

Margaret Parkinson Jun 22nd 2010 7:09 pm

We put tea bags in our suitcase when we went to visit last time. I put them in the pocket at the front. I told customs and they waved us through. If they had said no I would have just taken them out and put them in a bin so I would think they are OK in your container.

Having said that their tea bags are OK because when I used our own they did not taste the same as at home so it must be the water. Remember they are upside down there as well. LOL

June

pixi-dust Jun 22nd 2010 8:35 pm

http://www.transinternational.co.nz/movenz.stm
and
http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/declare

I've heard about people not taking in feather duvets cane furniture, wooden stuff etc. We took all of these things and it was no problem. Things of ours that MAF wanted to look at were
vacuum cleaner
tent
hiking stuff
bikes
garden stuff
I think that was it. Just clean these things.We were allowed everything we packed.

dougslug Jun 22nd 2010 9:19 pm

thanks pixi-dust, exactly what I was after ... :thumbup:

Lynne sinclair Jun 22nd 2010 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by dougslug (Post 8649406)
Hi

Is there a list anywhere which details the household goods that you are not allowed to bring over with you when you immigrate?

Thanks in advance.

We have had a couple of shipping companies out to quote and they all say no wicker, as in chairs, baskets etc. Apparently MAF can apply a $35 cleaning fee per item, whatever size, and you have to pay, there is no longer a "just biff it option" due to the masses of stuff people were chancing to bring in!
Were still uncertain whether to chance it as our dining room chairs are wicker, not to mention numerous baskets.....!

pixi-dust Jun 22nd 2010 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Lynne sinclair (Post 8649841)
We have had a couple of shipping companies out to quote and they all say no wicker, as in chairs, baskets etc. Apparently MAF can apply a $35 cleaning fee per item, whatever size, and you have to pay, there is no longer a "just biff it option" due to the masses of stuff people were chancing to bring in!
Were still uncertain whether to chance it as our dining room chairs are wicker, not to mention numerous baskets.....!

you will find that there are loads of us that took wicker - I took numerous baskets and the dog bed. MAF didn't even ask to see it. What I did was ignore the advice of the shippers - a lot of it was actually incorrect. I called MAF directly. They were incredibly helpful and put our minds at rest about what we could and couldn't take ( there was actually nothing we couldn't take that we wanted to)

Lynne sinclair Jun 22nd 2010 9:44 pm

Thank you Pixi-Dust i may phone MAF then just for piece of mind, I'd obviously hate to take stuff, incurr a cleaning fee and be fined for not declaring, so thanks for your advice! :p

willand tina_h Jun 23rd 2010 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Lynne sinclair (Post 8649862)
Thank you Pixi-Dust i may phone MAF then just for piece of mind, I'd obviously hate to take stuff, incurr a cleaning fee and be fined for not declaring, so thanks for your advice! :p

I am sooooo gutted as did not bring any of my wicker stuff (and that was a lot) :( meet so many people that brought theirs and had no probs, I should have checked I think, too late now as many friends and family enjoying it all :confused: and I get tea bags delivered every few weeks from family awwwhhhh tetley tea :) love them, dont get any probs with them coming through customs, I cannot drink their tea bags, but yes water is very different here, we use a filter jug and so does almost everyone else we know. xx

Dustybin Jun 23rd 2010 5:24 am

Originally Posted by willand tina_h (Post 8650338)
I am sooooo gutted as did not bring any of my wicker stuff (and that was a lot) :( meet so many people that brought theirs and had no probs, I should have checked I think, too late now as many friends and family enjoying it all :confused: and I get tea bags delivered every few weeks from family awwwhhhh tetley tea :) love them, dont get any probs with them coming through customs, I cannot drink their tea bags, but yes water is very different here, we use a filter jug and so does almost everyone else we know. xx

Nothing like living on the edge eh?....:huh:

Charismatic Jun 23rd 2010 5:43 am

Originally Posted by willand tina_h (Post 8650338)
...but yes water is very different here...

I noticed this as well, but then I remembered that in the UK my water came through Victorian lead lined pipes and sat in a filthy old reservoir for days before getting to my house. This may have had some effect on the taste TBH :rofl:.

NZ water can be absolute top notch in some parts :thumbup:.

lapsed kiwi Jun 23rd 2010 5:44 am

Nuclear weapons and any component parts thereof are a big no-no

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 23rd 2010 5:46 am

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi (Post 8650538)
Nuclear weapons and any component parts thereof are a big no-no

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

janeyk Jun 23rd 2010 6:16 am

we bought over wicker sofa, baskets, tent, bikes, hoover and wine
all the packers said no, we did not have any problems, to be honest MAF are more interested in xmas decs that might have pine cones on this is an absolute no and they will be ripped of the decoration if they are found.