Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What if you can't find work in your trade??

What if you can't find work in your trade??

Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

nicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nice
Default What if you can't find work in your trade??

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me...... I have my interview coming up with our case officer next week as i don't have a job offer (Auto Electrician). My question is....

In the interview they ask, what if you dont find work in your trade/skill for some time?

If i cant find work in my trade, is it ok to take up other work until something comes up. Would that be an ok?

Thanks

Paul
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:32 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What if you can't find work in your trade??

Originally Posted by nicorsts1
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me...... I have my interview coming up with our case officer next week as i don't have a job offer (Auto Electrician). My question is....

In the interview they ask, what if you dont find work in your trade/skill for some time?

If i cant find work in my trade, is it ok to take up other work until something comes up. Would that be an ok?

Thanks

Paul
That depends on whether there are conditions attached to your residency. I had gained full residency, without a job offer or conditions of residency and so could do any job to earn cash.

When I had our interview and they asked me that question, I was fortunate to have other skills and previous job experience to fall back on (transport, as a driver and a transport manager) as well as telling the interviewer that I would turn my hand to anything I was capable of, in order to earn a wage.

All they are after is knowing that you will be a benefit to New Zealand and not a drain on the Government money. Let's face it, you're not about to spend all this time, effort and money getting here, just to sit on your a#se and do nothing and that's what they want to hear...Good Luck, the interview isn't as daunting as it sounds
Old Apr 24th 2010, 2:32 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My hubbys a spark, in same boat, no job offer so had to have telephone interview.
When he was asked the question he just said he would persevere trying to gain employment as an electrician, knock on doors with CV, check employment websites, join agencies etc... said he was willing to take ANY job in the meantime to tide him over until he got work as an electrician.

Interview went really well, you just have to be realistic and prove you've done your research... theres some threads on here with advice on what is asked etc but we were basically asked 'why nz' 'do we have a support system' 'how do you plan to settle and make friends' 'do you know how much rent, utility bills etc cost'... amongst other general Q's.

All good anyway as we were granted Work To Residence (WTR)... basically have 9 months from when we arrive for hubby to gain employment and work for 3 months, can then convert to Permanent Residence

Think we have a job lined up for him through my dads friend so it should work out!

Good luck, and try not to worry, theres very few reasons they would decline you!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

nicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by sirplug
That depends on whether there are conditions attached to your residency. I had gained full residency, without a job offer or conditions of residency and so could do any job to earn cash.

When I had our interview and they asked me that question, I was fortunate to have other skills and previous job experience to fall back on (transport, as a driver and a transport manager) as well as telling the interviewer that I would turn my hand to anything I was capable of, in order to earn a wage.

All they are after is knowing that you will be a benefit to New Zealand and not a drain on the Government money. Let's face it, you're not about to spend all this time, effort and money getting here, just to sit on your a#se and do nothing and that's what they want to hear...Good Luck, the interview isn't as daunting as it sounds

Thanks, that was a worry.... I hope to find work fairly soon without dibbing into our savings so to know i can turn to other things is a relief. All being well I'll get something in my trade, i've already made enquires with positive feedback. At least this way I can turn to something else in the short term if it takes a longer period of time.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Hi

My hubbys a spark, in same boat, no job offer so had to have telephone interview.
When he was asked the question he just said he would persevere trying to gain employment as an electrician, knock on doors with CV, check employment websites, join agencies etc... said he was willing to take ANY job in the meantime to tide him over until he got work as an electrician.

Interview went really well, you just have to be realistic and prove you've done your research... theres some threads on here with advice on what is asked etc but we were basically asked 'why nz' 'do we have a support system' 'how do you plan to settle and make friends' 'do you know how much rent, utility bills etc cost'... amongst other general Q's.

All good anyway as we were granted Work To Residence (WTR)... basically have 9 months from when we arrive for hubby to gain employment and work for 3 months, can then convert to Permanent Residence

Think we have a job lined up for him through my dads friend so it should work out!

Good luck, and try not to worry, theres very few reasons they would decline you!
Thanks and good luck with your move, I'm doing my home work lol, We've been over everything no end of times so all being well I should be fine Its whats at stake thats so scary, fingers crossed n' all that.

Just out of interest, such as utility bills, council rates etc..... where is it best to find the average costs? I've looked on the web but not having much luck.

Thanks again

Paul and Dani
Old May 2nd 2010, 8:47 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: What if you can't find work in your trade??

Thanks and good luck with your move, I'm doing my home work lol, We've been over everything no end of times so all being well I should be fine Its whats at stake thats so scary, fingers crossed n' all that.

Just out of interest, such as utility bills, council rates etc..... where is it best to find the average costs? I've looked on the web but not having much luck.

Thanks again

Paul and Dani
Sorry - just seen your reply!

Bills wise - this is quite a recent thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665503

If you use the search tool in the forums and just type 'bills' or something I'm sure plenty more will come up!

When's D-Day?!
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough

My interviewer asked that.

I said I would give myself x weeks to find a job in my field, and if I could not then I would find a job in another field and continue to look in my field. She then asked what if I still could not find work for a longer period of time, would I re-train? I said yes, but in my field. If I could still not find work in my fleld, then I would re-train in another field.

Hope that helps. Gizzy
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Thanks

Paul
hi thats what makes me laugh when the people who apply to go to nz have the points ect but no job, either have to use there savings or find a different job,
when people who have a job offer cant get in or nz make it hard two get in,
if you have points for say nurse and you cant get a job as a nurse and you get a job in bunnings, whats the difference in someone who has not got the points, but has a job offer at least they could start right away but that's nz immigration for you don't get me wrong i am not jealous, of people who get in because we are coming over in oct just think they make a mockery of it
Old May 3rd 2010, 10:07 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by concretepump
hi thats what makes me laugh when the people who apply to go to nz have the points ect but no job, either have to use there savings or find a different job,
when people who have a job offer cant get in or nz make it hard two get in,
if you have points for say nurse and you cant get a job as a nurse and you get a job in bunnings, whats the difference in someone who has not got the points, but has a job offer at least they could start right away but that's nz immigration for you don't get me wrong i am not jealous, of people who get in because we are coming over in oct just think they make a mockery of it
In my experience INZ bend over backwards to get people into NZ that have a job offer. They give you 50 points straight off and prioritise you. If they didn't use a points system at all it would be much easier for people to get in using family or social connections, bribery or fraud to obtain job offers in the non-shortage industries at the expense of New Zealand nationals. Do you think that would be a good thing?

It's also quite difficult, if not impossible to get into NZ without a job unless the applicant puts a lot of effort into proving that they CAN get a job when they get there. It's down to you, not INZ to do the research and find the work.

I might have to eat my words if I can't find work when I get to NZ - but I'm not going to blame INZ. It's my choice to go after all.

I do have sympathy with those that can't find work. It often seems to be the partners of the primary applicant that have the biggest struggle. But your example doesn't really cut it. If as a primary applicant, someone can't find a job as a nurse when there is a nationwide shortage then there was probably something wrong with the application, or they are being too selective or inflexible in my opinion.

WP
Old May 3rd 2010, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
In my experience INZ bend over backwards to get people into NZ that have a job offer. They give you 50 points straight off and prioritise you. If they didn't use a points system at all it would be much easier for people to get in using family or social connections, bribery or fraud to obtain job offers in the non-shortage industries at the expense of New Zealand nationals. Do you think that would be a good thing?

It's also quite difficult, if not impossible to get into NZ without a job unless the applicant puts a lot of effort into proving that they CAN get a job when they get there. It's down to you, not INZ to do the research and find the work.

I might have to eat my words if I can't find work when I get to NZ - but I'm not going to blame INZ. It's my choice to go after all.

I do have sympathy with those that can't find work. It often seems to be the partners of the primary applicant that have the biggest struggle. But your example doesn't really cut it. If as a primary applicant, someone can't find a job as a nurse when there is a nationwide shortage then there was probably something wrong with the application, or they are being too selective or inflexible in my opinion.

WP
hopefully then i am the only one they wont bend over backwards to get in when i was there in 07 eoi was accepted and we were invited to apply for ita
now we are back in uk, they have stuck that off which leaves me with no points
so only way in for me is temporary visa and hope to get pr later and i have a job offer

useing a nurse was just an example , they can check up with the firm that offered you or me a job , so no fraud there, there are quite a few people who have got pr gone to nz cant get a job and came back to uk

so rather than give them pr because they are qualified , in there line of work
make sure they have a job before they come
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:42 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by concretepump
hopefully then i am the only one they wont bend over backwards to get in when i was there in 07 eoi was accepted and we were invited to apply for ita now we are back in uk, they have stuck that off which leaves me with no points
Why is that? Because you didn't progress the original ITA??
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by simonsi
Why is that? Because you didn't progress the original ITA??
yes turned it down , because we could not sell house in uk and it was going to cost about $5,000 , and didn't know at the time if we were going to come back, been away three years in oct this year, we want to come back now and my old employers want me back, so thought i would go direct route EOI
but they turned that down , and the firm who offered job would not go for accredited employers because they want two much money over two years and info so temporary route is only way and try and get PR once we have been there awhile
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:04 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that the rules have changed since the the last time you applied. Maybe if the economy picks up again they will change again.

Good luck.

WP
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Sorry - just seen your reply!

Bills wise - this is quite a recent thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665503

If you use the search tool in the forums and just type 'bills' or something I'm sure plenty more will come up!

When's D-Day?!
I had it on Friday....real nervous but I think i did ok.... waiting game now. That thread link you posted, is a thread I started lol, thanks for you help tho, appreciate it

Last edited by nicorsts1; May 3rd 2010 at 9:44 pm.
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gizmo27
My interviewer asked that.

I said I would give myself x weeks to find a job in my field, and if I could not then I would find a job in another field and continue to look in my field. She then asked what if I still could not find work for a longer period of time, would I re-train? I said yes, but in my field. If I could still not find work in my fleld, then I would re-train in another field.

Hope that helps. Gizzy
Thanks mate, I had the interview on Friday.... My CO did ask me the same question and I told her pretty much the same as you did.