Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What heating system?

What heating system?

Old Jun 16th 2015, 1:34 pm
Loves Australia

AceofSpades is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What heating system?

Thanks for the link, but I'm surprised you don't have a fresh air intake for the fire.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

There is an alternative version of hrv that is much better.
One issue with hrv is that it uses long tubes to distribute the warm air
to the various rooms, the problem is, the longer the tube, the cooler the
air will be when it comes out, and some of the tubes are very long.
The alternative system uses a small fan in each of the ceiling outlets.
They still draw warm air from the loft space, but each fan can operate
independently, will switch off automatically when the loft space temp
drops below a specified temp and on again once its rissen again.
The fans run off a 12 volt system so cost next to nothing run and extra
fans can be added by simply connecting it into the system a bit
like connecting chains of LED Xmas lights together.

I'm not a fan of HRV, but then I've never had a damp, mouldy house
that's needed one, and friends houses that have them always seem cold to me.

Last edited by Justcol; Jun 16th 2015 at 8:19 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
There is an alternative version of hrv that is much better.
One issue with hrv is that it uses long tubes to distribute the warm air
to the various rooms, the problem is, the longer the tube, the cooler the
air will be when it comes out, and some of the tubes are very long.
The alternative system uses a small fan in each of the ceiling outlets.
They still draw warm air from the loft space, but each fan can operate
independently, will switch off automatically when the loft space temp
drops below a specified temp and on again once its rissen again.
The fans run off a 12 volt system so cost next to nothing run and extra
fans can be added by simply connecting it into the system a bit
like connecting chains of LED Xmas lights together.

I'm not a fan of HRV, but then I've never had a damp, mouldy house
that's needed one, and friends houses that have them always seem cold to me.
And the name is?
Old Jun 16th 2015, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

i'll find out
Old Jun 17th 2015, 7:04 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is a mistake in logic there, the HRV system tubing is actually in the roof space so obviously is at the same temperature as the surrounding air so there is no heat loss. The HRV system runs through very large filtration systems to ensure clean dry air and is totally controlled by a thermostat that measures house/loft difference hence the settings can be adjusted to bring down cooler night time air in the summer.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Had HRV fitted on Tuesday and our crying windows have gone. So impressed , wish we had done this year's ago. Have already noticed an improvement in my lungs. Breathing is much easier and the breathlessness I've had for the past couple of months has gone.

We've now got a dehumidifier we no longer need
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Had HRV fitted on Tuesday and our crying windows have gone. So impressed , wish we had done this year's ago. Have already noticed an improvement in my lungs. Breathing is much easier and the breathlessness I've had for the past couple of months has gone.

We've now got a dehumidifier we no longer need

That's excellent, someone else we know recently had it installed and they said the same, the improvement was almost instant.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

Question Re: What heating system?

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
That's excellent, someone else we know recently had it installed and they said the same, the improvement was almost instant.
Heard this from others too. We were a bit sceptical before we had it fitted but the benefits have been pretty instant. It wasn't as expensive as we were expecting it to be either. The health benefits are what I'm most pleased about followed by not having to mop up bloody crying windows every morning!

If we ever do a self-build then I shall have it put in as the house is being built! But then I shall also have gas central heating and uPVC double glazing. Dreaming of a lottery win this weekend