Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What have I forgotten?

What have I forgotten?

Old Apr 26th 2006, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future
Default Re: What have I forgotten?

Originally Posted by Radio Ham
Ok, with only 7 stress filled days left before I flee the UK to NZ, without a job offer, PR selection, work visa, house sale or car sale, I thought it would be fun to hear what other things you all think I've forgotten to do....
Whatever you do DON'T FORGET TO SAY GOODBYE.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

Ok, with only 7 stress filled days left before I flee the UK to NZ, without a job offer, PR selection, work visa, house sale or car sale, I thought it would be fun to hear what other things you all think I've forgotten to do....
have you taken a copy of your ham license, so you can get a ZL callsign when you get there?
Old May 5th 2006, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

royalsfans is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure if I'm scared for you or excited for you !! you silly sod !! All i can say is GOOD LUCK, we will be thinking of you in 7 days. keep in touch and let us all know how it goes for you. If it gets too stressful post a message on here, as there is some great support to be found here!

YOU GO FOR IT....!!!!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Radio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura about

Hello Forum

A year on I thought I'd let you all know that life on the North Shore is fantastic. I found a job in August and now commute to Manukau daily, my OH is employed at a local Special Needs School, the kids have settled in to Takapuna Grammar.. and the 2 cats think they're in paradise.. and they're right. Last week we got our permanent residency, making it a 2 year 6 month journey of adventure from the initial punt on the immigration points lottery over a glass of wine in the UK to being here in NZ, living the dream.

My advice to anyone considering taking the risk of a big step without all the security in place is the same as on the last comment before this one...

GO FOR IT!

Colin
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff! Glad it all worked out for you and you're loving it - I love a happy ending! We're coming on a wing and a prayer too - with 3 kids, EOI selection but no ITA yet, no job, it'll all come together I'm sure!

House just sold on Monday and they've mentioned 6 weeks to us but we're going to drag it out by a few more weeks so we can have some sunshine here first

Michelle x
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Radio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura about

Good on you both, and good luck.

ITA to residence will take longer than the 6 months visitor visa you will enter on, so expect to have to apply and pay for a 3 year work visa to tide you over (and that's easier if you get a job offer from an accredited employer).

If either of you work in IT and you're coming to Auckland, PM me and I'll hook you up with the good guys here.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 2:47 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Admire your spirit. He who dares wins!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be checking hotels by the airport mate!! Go for the fat immiration bloke in case you need to leg it!! Good luck sir.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Boo Boos will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: What have I forgotten?

My husband and i decided to move to NZ a couple of years ago,we talked about it loads and looked everything we could up on the computer.We spoke to as many people as we could and gathered as much info as possible but never really did anything about it.My husband is a kiwi but grow up in the uk.In August last year i finally put our house on the market, we excepted an offer begging of December and from that moment it was all systems go.I applied for mine and my 3 children residency as our daughter together automatically became a kiwi,after booking/canceling everything i could, having our medicals done and sorting out xmas we moved out of our house 5wks later on the 5th January 2007.We stayed at a friends house for 2 wks til my husband finished work then we flow out to New Zealand with 10 suitcases 4 children and a VERY stressed husband.Never being here before me and the children jumped in with both feet and it was so worth it.We travelled around for 3 wks then got a 4 bedroom rental and the children into school,my husband has started work and im at home looking after our toddler
(would rather be at work) our container finally arrived 4 wks ago with one of the boxes having to be sent away for cleaning (at an extra $150 ) we also had to pay an extra $1150 for unloading of the container,the inspection and storage,and believe me when i say i wasn't happy about it.But looking back i must of been crazy,it only took 7 wks for everything to happen and i wasn't ready for it but in true BRIT form i gritted my teeth and did it and im so glad we did.If it goes wrong or we dont settle i'll come back but at least i did something with my life,so go on try it or you'll always wished you had)
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Forum

A year on I thought I'd let you all know that life on the North Shore is fantastic. I found a job in August and now commute to Manukau daily, my OH is employed at a local Special Needs School, the kids have settled in to Takapuna Grammar.. and the 2 cats think they're in paradise.. and they're right. Last week we got our permanent residency, making it a 2 year 6 month journey of adventure from the initial punt on the immigration points lottery over a glass of wine in the UK to being here in NZ, living the dream.

My advice to anyone considering taking the risk of a big step without all the security in place is the same as on the last comment before this one...

GO FOR IT!

Colin
I admire you for doing it. It's something i have been considering and discussing with the OH since my EOI got put back into the pool as they wouldn't recognise my work experience (although i still had 105 pts). I promised her that i'd try and get a job from this side of the pond first or give it a good go at least. Just wondering how long is a good go before (if unsuccessful) we bite the bullet and come over and try from NZ.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boo Boos
My husband and i decided to move to NZ a couple of years ago,we talked about it loads and looked everything we could up on the computer.We spoke to as many people as we could and gathered as much info as possible but never really did anything about it.My husband is a kiwi but grow up in the uk.In August last year i finally put our house on the market, we excepted an offer begging of December and from that moment it was all systems go.I applied for mine and my 3 children residency as our daughter together automatically became a kiwi,after booking/canceling everything i could, having our medicals done and sorting out xmas we moved out of our house 5wks later on the 5th January 2007.We stayed at a friends house for 2 wks til my husband finished work then we flow out to New Zealand with 10 suitcases 4 children and a VERY stressed husband.Never being here before me and the children jumped in with both feet and it was so worth it.We travelled around for 3 wks then got a 4 bedroom rental and the children into school,my husband has started work and im at home looking after our toddler
(would rather be at work) our container finally arrived 4 wks ago with one of the boxes having to be sent away for cleaning (at an extra $150 ) we also had to pay an extra $1150 for unloading of the container,the inspection and storage,and believe me when i say i wasn't happy about it.But looking back i must of been crazy,it only took 7 wks for everything to happen and i wasn't ready for it but in true BRIT form i gritted my teeth and did it and im so glad we did.If it goes wrong or we dont settle i'll come back but at least i did something with my life,so go on try it or you'll always wished you had)
yeah up the BRITS! We may be shite at football but we know how to grit our teeth and get on with it.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Boo Boos will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
I admire you for doing it. It's something i have been considering and discussing with the OH since my EOI got put back into the pool as they wouldn't recognise my work experience (although i still had 105 pts). I promised her that i'd try and get a job from this side of the pond first or give it a good go at least. Just wondering how long is a good go before (if unsuccessful) we bite the bullet and come over and try from NZ.
I was lucky my husband is a kiwi but we only decided to get married in October (4wks before applying for my residency) even tho we'd been together for years they still could of said no so it was a hell of a chance.We came over with no jobs lined up and not even knowing where we were going to live and believe me with 4 children thats a hell of a gamble but it worked,we have a good out look on life.Rent your house out and come over for a while and see if you can get yourselves a job,if you cant and you find out you dont like it you can go back home knowing you haven't lost anything.Ive meet a few Brits that have done the same thing,just came out on there passports and managed to get themselves a job then sponsorship. Its easier this side but it is a risk,i still cant believe im here.I love waking up every morning looking out of the bay to the beautiful blue sea and going for a run a long the golden sandy beaches (heaven).... Good luck!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boo Boos
I was lucky my husband is a kiwi but we only decided to get married in October (4wks before applying for my residency) even tho we'd been together for years they still could of said no so it was a hell of a chance.We came over with no jobs lined up and not even knowing where we were going to live and believe me with 4 children thats a hell of a gamble but it worked,we have a good out look on life.Rent your house out and come over for a while and see if you can get yourselves a job,if you cant and you find out you dont like it you can go back home knowing you haven't lost anything.Ive meet a few Brits that have done the same thing,just came out on there passports and managed to get themselves a job then sponsorship. Its easier this side but it is a risk,i still cant believe im here.I love waking up every morning looking out of the bay to the beautiful blue sea and going for a run a long the golden sandy beaches (heaven).... Good luck!
I hear what your saying and love the area your living in. Stayed not far from there when we recce'd NZ in August. Stayed in Gulf Harbour for a week.