British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What have I forgotten? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-have-i-forgotten-368958/)

Radio Ham Apr 21st 2006 4:43 pm

What have I forgotten?

Ok, with only 7 stress filled days left before I flee the UK to NZ, without a job offer, PR selection, work visa, house sale or car sale, I thought it would be fun to hear what other things you all think I've forgotten to do.... :)

CWEMM02 Apr 21st 2006 5:03 pm

Re: What have I forgotten?

Originally Posted by Radio Ham
Ok, with only 7 stress filled days left before I flee the UK to NZ, without a job offer, PR selection, work visa, house sale or car sale, I thought it would be fun to hear what other things you all think I've forgotten to do.... :)

I had to chuckle. We have a much more organized approach that may or may not include a job before we go. However, I can only suggest you take your four leafed clover. You may need it.

Biddy Apr 21st 2006 9:32 pm

Sounds like you've forgotten just about everything!

planty Apr 22nd 2006 7:47 am

Booked a flight? :)

By the way a four leafed clover would only get confiscated (no seeds and plants) better take a horse shoe :D just make sure its not rusty and its been soaked in disinfectant. :D

Radio Ham Apr 22nd 2006 9:07 am

Originally Posted by planty

By the way a four leafed clover would only get confiscated (no seeds and plants) better take a horse shoe :D just make sure its not rusty and its been soaked in disinfectant. :D

I did remember to book the flights and the shipping of all our worldly goods. I also dislike Jeyes fluid with a passion now too, so I must have picked up a few tips from this forum over the months I've been lurking.

CWEMM02 Apr 22nd 2006 11:28 am

Planty, you are funny! On that MAF issue though, we are going to buy new tent and sleeping bags etc for the container if we have room.

planty Apr 22nd 2006 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
Planty, you are funny! On that MAF issue though, we are going to buy new tent and sleeping bags etc for the container if we have room.

I've given all of our camping equipment to my nephew and intend to buy all new over there, I did consider buying a new tent and shipping it but wasn't sure if then we would have to pay import tax on arrival with new and unused goods, may be worth checking. Sleeping bags should be ok cos you can use them before you go. :D

Radio Ham Apr 22nd 2006 5:59 pm

I've given all of our camping equipment to my nephew and intend to buy all new over there, I did consider buying a new tent and shipping it but wasn't sure if then we would have to pay import tax on arrival with new and unused goods, may be worth checking. Sleeping bags should be ok cos you can use them before you go. :D

Should I have bought a tent then? :o

Biddy Apr 22nd 2006 7:54 pm

Should I have bought a tent then? :o

Tents are not compulsary, just optional.

Delsonk9 Apr 23rd 2006 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Biddy
Tents are not compulsary, just optional.

So does that mean i have to buy new golf equipment or just make sure theres no dirt etc on any of it ?

planty Apr 23rd 2006 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Delsonk9
So does that mean i have to buy new golf equipment or just make sure theres no dirt etc on any of it ?

Depends how much you want that new set of clubs. ;)

Biddy Apr 23rd 2006 8:54 pm

MAF like everything to be dirt & rust free. So clubs, tents etc will need to be thoroughly cleaned in preparation for an inspection (that may or may not occur)

livewire Apr 24th 2006 7:34 am

I know someone whose golfing shoes didn't pass the inspection and were taken away to be cleaned. They were delivered back in pretty poor condition, sodden if I remember rightly - they ended up being binned.

Not sure about the cost of golfing equipment but a lot of camping/climbing/walking stuff seems to be quite expensive here so I'm glad we brought all ours with us. I have Scarpa and Brasher Boots, I would hate to think how much it would cost to replace them with something of a similar quality.

As always the advice is to bring it all with you and clean it. We found "Muckoff" from cycle shops to be brilliant in getting rid of dirt on all manner of stuff, including mountain bikes :D We even took boot polish to the cleats of our walking boots to make them look clean. :o

breathe Apr 24th 2006 11:17 am

I know someone whose golfing shoes didn't pass the inspection and were taken away to be cleaned. They were delivered back in pretty poor condition, sodden if I remember rightly - they ended up being binned.

Not sure about the cost of golfing equipment but a lot of camping/climbing/walking stuff seems to be quite expensive here so I'm glad we brought all ours with us. I have Scarpa and Brasher Boots, I would hate to think how much it would cost to replace them with something of a similar quality.

As always the advice is to bring it all with you and clean it. We found "Muckoff" from cycle shops to be brilliant in getting rid of dirt on all manner of stuff, including mountain bikes We even took boot polish to the cleats of our walking boots to make them look clean.

Radio Ham Apr 24th 2006 12:06 pm

Breathe, i have a strange feeling of :beer: :beer: induced deja vu setting in...