Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What has happened ....

What has happened ....

Old Jan 9th 2007, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What has happened ....

Originally Posted by hubbard
I'm a bit unsure about this troll stuff - am I considered a troll?

I have posted on here for a number of years and have always maintained my (at times very vocal) dislike of NZ as a place to live. I do understand that some have had success with their move but I do find it hard (and I really do try) to think of points that redeem NZ as a place to live over other OECD other countries this world. I appreciate it is all down to personal choice and life experiences but sometimes when I read the pro NZ posts on here I honestly wonder if that person lived in the same country that I did! I find it amazing that the view points can be so completely polar and tend to either think I must have imagined my time in NZ or the other poster must be living in a different country. My rational head says the middle ground between the pro poster and myself is probably reality.

So apologies if I I have been considered a troll.

Well I'm no troll expert but I dont think you are!

I feel the same way you do when I hear of peoples bad experiences here, I think I wonder why I haven't been affected by the same things and how I see the country so differently it could be on another planet!
It was the same in England though, when I moved to a place near Sheffield so many people told me I would love it and the Yorkshire people are so friendly, in fact I found it to be the complete opposite, at least in the bit I lived and worked in. I couldn't understand why I wasn't loving it.

From what I have read here is that some people just refuse to see that there are many, many people living very happily in various parts of NZ, and wouldn't trade for all the world. Not you neccessarily, but some
Old Jan 9th 2007, 11:52 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion probably doesn't count as I have only been here since October but I am happy here. We moved extensively round the UK as Steve was in the RAF and I liked all the places we were posted to there also. We haven't come to get away from the UK but to do something different with our lives. I concur with the point that it is more to do with oneself and the ability to be happy rather than where in the world you are.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Hi Mandie H and welcome to the forum.

Our move overseas to NZ had nothing to do with disliking the UK. We both enjoyed where we lived, had no issues financially, nor had any experiences of 'negative' UK factors (crime, poor schooling, bullying etc). We went purely for the life experience and better weather. So NZ had a lot to live up to equal our UK existance and negate the missing of friends and family. We moved to Auckland due largely to work opportunities and never clicked with place when comparing it to other cities we had travelled to and worked in.

In a nut shell my negatives on NZ were:
- Majority of man made things (clothes, buildings etc) are shoddily made and pretty hideous. We travelled a fair bit around NZ and most of the towns were not terribly aethitically pleasing at all to look at - some really were eyesores on the landscape.
- Weather was very average (been done to deathon this site) and had very very high rainfall. Denial on the weather by the Kiwis used to drive me mad! They'd have you believe you'll be on the beach everyday during a 4 month long summer of beautiful sunny weather.
- Kiwis had a big chip on their shoulder about everything being the best because it's NZ made - in some instances it really wasn't Kiwi ingenuity it was just making do with sub standard rubbish.
- Groceries and goods in general are expensive so money doesn't go far - an important factor if you like travelling and intend to go and see your new homeland and nearby neighbouring countries.
- 4 million population made things that really were no big deal get blown out of all proportion in the media - made me want to scream 'get some perspective on this issue'.
- Minimal public transport and car focused culture.
- Limited 'public' land that you can ride your horse on or walk your dog on in comparison to the UK.

Nothing particularly earth shattering and alot of the above you could learn to live with but we were fortunate in our age, skillset, and education that we didn't have to compromise on what we wanted from a country as we had other opportunities open to us to live in.

I know people will say 'what you wanted from a country' - 'what about what you can bring to a country' and very valid but being youngish (32) educated, healthy, good career in a skill shortage, financially secure and no criminal record means we bring, in most immigration policy's eyes, a heck of alot. Hence a number of doors are open and we can chose based on what we think will be a good fit for our lifestyle desires. And in this respect NZ just did not stack up against it's competitors - namely Oz and Canada.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:04 am

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply...much appreciated
Mandie
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie

If all else fails, may I recommend you all grab yourselves a can of this...

Pah, I use that stuff as underarm deodorant!

Does not worry me, I am a troll!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default What has happened ....

I'm a bit unsure about this troll stuff - am I considered a troll?
You can be in my gang if you want!

I am a troll!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Default A bit fed up being a Troll

Actually I’ve had a change of heart and I don’t mean transplant!

I’m a bit fed up being a troll as it is a lonely existence.

Perhaps all trolls or would be trolls need to have something examined before posting………….

Signing off from this post.

Nice Guy No Longer A Troll.

Troll Winding Anyone Tremendously = TWAT for short
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:20 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
I am a troll!
You are the egg man/I am the walrus...ku ku ku joob

Old Jan 10th 2007, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mandie H and welcome to the forum.

Our move overseas to NZ had nothing to do with disliking the UK. We both enjoyed where we lived, had no issues financially, nor had any experiences of 'negative' UK factors (crime, poor schooling, bullying etc). We went purely for the life experience and better weather. So NZ had a lot to live up to equal our UK existance and negate the missing of friends and family. We moved to Auckland due largely to work opportunities and never clicked with place when comparing it to other cities we had travelled to and worked in.

- Majority of man made things (clothes, buildings etc) are shoddily made and pretty hideous. We travelled a fair bit around NZ and most of the towns were not terribly aethitically pleasing at all to look at - some really were eyesores on the landscape.
- Weather was very average (been done to deathon this site) and had very very high rainfall. Denial on the weather by the Kiwis used to drive me mad! They'd have you believe you'll be on the beach everyday during a 4 month long summer of beautiful sunny weather.
- Kiwis had a big chip on their shoulder about everything being the best because it's NZ made - in some instances it really wasn't Kiwi ingenuity it was just making do with sub standard rubbish.
- Groceries and goods in general are expensive so money doesn't go far - an important factor if you like travelling and intend to go and see your new homeland and nearby neighbouring countries.
- 4 million population made things that really were no big deal get blown out of all proportion in the media - made me want to scream 'get some perspective on this issue'.
- Limited 'public' land that you can ride your horse on or walk your dog on in comparison to the UK.

Nothing particularly earth shattering and alot of the above you could learn to live with but we were fortunate in our age, skillset, and education that we didn't have to compromise on what we wanted from a country as we had other opportunities open to us to live in.

I know people will say 'what you wanted from a country' - 'what about what you can bring to a country' and very valid but being youngish (32) educated, healthy, good career in a skill shortage, financially secure and no criminal record means we bring, in most immigration policy's eyes, a heck of alot. Hence a number of doors are open and we can chose based on what we think will be a good fit for our lifestyle desires. And in this respect NZ just did not stack up against it's competitors - namely Oz and Canada.
Ditto de-doo-dah - but not the Oz and Canada bit.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Have you ever bought clothes from New Look or visited high rise council estates in London - you know, the ones they're knocking down because of "concrete cancer"?
Weather patterns are changing all over the world mate, not a lot can be done about that - who'd have thought the UK would go through a 30+ degree heatwave?
Can't comment on that - the only NZ made stuff we buy is grocery produce
We manage to make our money go far... it's called clever shopping
Actually, I'm with you on this. Front page of the Herald was a flooded basement and some rich dude's Roller in it oh the tradgedy!
I know lots of people who take public transport and find it ok
There's lots of 'public' land - it's owned by DOC and is usually home to ground nesting birds, one of NZ's unique attributes. Therefore, no horses and dogs allowed! But it certainly looks prettier to me that the bramble covered walks I used to take.

On the whole, I still prefer to be here than in the UK. We live on a low wage and an average wage, we have three kids and the associated childcare costs, we run two cars and eat out once a week. We can pay all our bills, including our mortgage, we came out here with 20,000 GBP, so didn't have it all land in our laps.

I've not liked it here sometimes, but that's mainly because something else in my life when bellyup, not really anything to do with the country I live in. Because the car will still break down, people still get sick, jobs suck just as much here as any other country.

JMHO :-)

Last edited by dlmckay; Jan 10th 2007 at 9:25 pm. Reason: forgot to add stuff and buggered up the quotes
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:37 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

"Jobs suck here as much as they do in any other country" ain't that the truth!

Only in other countries there are more to choose from. I've already said what I think about Kiwi employers and it being a reason for us wanting out.

I prefer it here to the UK as well, but there are plenty of other places I'd prefer more. All relative I guess

Agree with many of the things you say Mazi, places to ride and to walk dogs are pretty limited, wonder if Oz will be any different?