Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What has happened ....

What has happened ....

Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Angry What has happened ....

.... to this forum ?!

I came here about 10m ago just browsing and didn't like it as there was a lot of bitchiness (not NZ forum, the whole site!) and nastiness going on! I stumbled upon you again back in October and it was so so different to how I remembered it. I've been so happy here and love all the posts, very informative and such a friendly place to be ... I even speak to members off the forum too now! But, these past few days there has been the nastiness and bitchiness again it's not very warm and welcoming to newbies and may actually scare them off like it did me !!!

This is a great forum and I'm not naive, I've been a member of other forums and seen this before. No people don't always agree, tbh the world would be very boring if everyone agreed! Can't we just ignore these trolls who have nothing better to do than throw the sh*t into the fan and stand back watching it be spread around ?! Yes I've been tempted to reply but am sitting on my hands! (Very rational Michelle ) It really isn't worth the hassle ..

Off my soapbox now Please don't shoot me down.

Michelle xx
Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:13 pm
Banned

andy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has happened ....

Hi Hun

Great post - I completely agree with you.

I have noticed over the past few days the tone on the NZ board has dropped and there is no need for it.

People are fully entitled to put across their personal views on a country but the way they have been doing it is very aggressive and not very beneficial.

I think like you said - ignore the trolls and maybe they will go away

G x
Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:48 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
.... to this forum ?!

I came here about 10m ago just browsing and didn't like it as there was a lot of bitchiness (not NZ forum, the whole site!) and nastiness going on! I stumbled upon you again back in October and it was so so different to how I remembered it. I've been so happy here and love all the posts, very informative and such a friendly place to be ... I even speak to members off the forum too now! But, these past few days there has been the nastiness and bitchiness again it's not very warm and welcoming to newbies and may actually scare them off like it did me !!!

This is a great forum and I'm not naive, I've been a member of other forums and seen this before. No people don't always agree, tbh the world would be very boring if everyone agreed! Can't we just ignore these trolls who have nothing better to do than throw the sh*t into the fan and stand back watching it be spread around ?! Yes I've been tempted to reply but am sitting on my hands! (Very rational Michelle ) It really isn't worth the hassle ..

Michelle xx
Michelle,

You're right. I should probably have ignored some of the posts too, but I find it difficult when they come across as very aggressive (especially to positive posters), so I'm sorry if I have upset you with any of my posts. I hope not. Carmen
Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

I agree too, people seem very intent on persuading people NZ is a crap place to live because of there own bad experiences and they seem to forget that some people love it here

I have held back in answering when I see some of the bitchy posts, people are entitled to their own opinions
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Michelle,

You're right. I should probably have ignored some of the posts too, but I find it difficult when they come across as very aggressive (especially to positive posters), so I'm sorry if I have upset you with any of my posts. I hope not. Carmen
No you haven't upset me !!! Just thought I'd let you know out of courtesy though

People are entitled to their own opinions and thats what is great about this forum - we DISCUSS! It's when trolls come along and start personally attacking members for merely stating that 'some, not all' can be happy in NZ despite others' experiences, be it good or bad!

Some people just have blinkered eyes and only they can start viewing the outside world, they choose not to !!!

Michelle xx

Last edited by UKNZAUS; Jan 7th 2007 at 7:06 pm. Reason: Pants spelling! lol
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:35 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

No you haven't upset me !!! Just thought I'd let you know out of courtesy though

People are entitled to their own opinions and thats what is great about this forum - we DISCUSS! It's when trolls come along and start personally attacking members for merely stating that 'some, not all' can be happy in NZ despite others' experiences, be it good or bad!

Some people just have blinkered eyes and only they can start viewing the outside world, they choose not to !!!

Michelle xx
Please report any instances of breaking the forum rules to the moderators. We are aware of the current "Troll" activity and would appreciate any assistance you can give us in eliminating it.

Buzzy
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:13 pm

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Michelle xx
Phew! I didn't think so, but did get a bit worried as I usually ignore these things but on a couple of occasions haven't. I always try to be reasonably courteous and not to deeply upset anyone.

Anyhow, as Buzzy has said, the mods are on the case! Happy times are back.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've been sucked in on a few occasions where my hands just grew from under my bum Not here, but another forum ... sometimes it's just too hard

Michelle xx
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

We are just about to come to NZ & having last minute cold feet:scared: . The "Troll" posts over the past few days have made me think seriously about getting as faraway from this website as possible. I have enough stress going on without the added negatives.
I have no problem with those who post realistic statements, because there is good, bad & indifferent in any country. If anywhere were perfect, may I suggest that it might be just a tad tedious
May balance & karma soon be restored
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AnnieNell
We are just about to come to NZ & having last minute cold feet:scared: . The "Troll" posts over the past few days have made me think seriously about getting as faraway from this website as possible. I have enough stress going on without the added negatives.
I have no problem with those who post realistic statements, because there is good, bad & indifferent in any country. If anywhere were perfect, may I suggest that it might be just a tad tedious
May balance & karma soon be restored
same here ... I've caught myself wondering what the hell we're doing !!!

I'm not going to be put off though, if we don't go we'll never know! If it doesn't work out then what a heck of an experience we've had !! We've worked out what we'll do if it does fail - and have both agreed to this!

NZ here we come - after house sells

Michelle xx
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

same here ... I've caught myself wondering what the hell we're doing !!!

I'm not going to be put off though, if we don't go we'll never know! If it doesn't work out then what a heck of an experience we've had !! We've worked out what we'll do if it does fail - and have both agreed to this!

NZ here we come - after house sells

Michelle xx
Good Luck with everything Michelle. All we can do is try, if it goes pear-shaped then at least we know we tried & we've experienced life. It's got to beat treading water
Hope house sells very soon, fingers & toes crossed.
Annie
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good Luck with everything Michelle. All we can do is try, if it goes pear-shaped then at least we know we tried & we've experienced life. It's got to beat treading water
Hope house sells very soon, fingers & toes crossed.
Annie
Thanks xx

Hope everything goes well for you too! When do you go ?? I probably know but get everything confuzzled on here
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What has happened ....

.... to this forum ?!

Michelle xx
Hi, Planty's OH here. We found this forum really useful when we were planning our move to NZ; other members were generous with their advice and encouragement, and we were very grateful for that. We have been happily living in Timaru for 5 months now, and come back to the forum from time to time, to catch up with how other members are getting on, and also to offer advice, where we can, on the things that we have experience of. When I browsed the forum yesterday I was surprised at the level of negativity that I found; I was also saddened by some of the personal comments. It seems to me that a forum like this should be about supporting each other, and not about putting other members down.

Experiences of living in a new country will be different for everyone. I can only say that we are really enjoying being here, and if we can be helpful to anyone thinking about making the move, then just ask away!

There, that's me off my soapbox too!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

Thanks xx

Hope everything goes well for you too! When do you go ?? I probably know but get everything confuzzled on here
We fly on the 18th Jan(via LAX) & arrive on 20th (my Birthday !). OH has a job in Auckland CBD, so we are based there until end of Feb, after that we are homeless! We are looking to live on the north shore possibly on the Whangaparaoa peninsula, also Titirangi but OH thinks this may make for a difficult commute. Just have to see when we get there

Glad you get mixed up to, thought it was just me, being blonde 'n' all
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:04 pm

We fly on the 18th Jan(via LAX) & arrive on 20th (my Birthday !). OH has a job in Auckland CBD, so we are based there until end of Feb, after that we are homeless! We are looking to live on the north shore possibly on the Whangaparaoa peninsula, also Titirangi but OH thinks this may make for a difficult commute. Just have to see when we get there

Glad you get mixed up to, thought it was just me, being blonde 'n' all
Hi Annie,

Have sent you a PM. In addition, given your last post -

We had high hopes for the Whangaparaoa peninsula, but really disliked it when we visited (weird feeling to the place is all I can say, very temporary if that makes sense) - but go and see for yourself. You may then understand or disagree and totally love it (but from research on the web I was convinced that Gulf Harbour was where we were headed!!) The drive to the peninsula was lovely though - spacious and rural/green. The single road on/off it isn't great though, but probably not comparable to the M6 on a Friday night much!!!

Titirangi is a great spot, although again there is one main road in and out (up a big hill) which isn't great for commuting into the city (so others say) and also we found it a bit too claustrophobic with all the trees - ie not the feeling of space that we know NZ has and was/is on our wish list. But I would explore the surrounding areas.

North Shore also lovely. Down to personal tastes here. We like Devonport village (although affordable plots are a bit compact so we probably wouldn't live there) and most of the bays. We would most likely choose the more northern ones because of value for money and more space - Mairangi, Waiake, Torbay and Long Bay personally speaking.

You just have to go and explore. The distances are all pretty minimal. All good areas so I don't think you can go too wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.