British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What happens to child benefit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-happens-child-benefit-792191/)

PHONEJUNKY Mar 28th 2013 9:18 pm

What happens to child benefit

HI,

Just a quick question really, do you get child benefit in NZ like you do in the uk if you have children under 16. Once I let DSS know I am leaving country my child benefit will stop.

Can you claim in NZ if you have residency?

Thank you
Mandy

MrsFychan Mar 28th 2013 9:24 pm

Re: What happens to child benefit

depends on wage as far as I can see. we were getting child benefit in the UK but cannot get anything over here.

don't know if this will help or confuse you more but look here

http://www.workingforfamilies.govt.n...ent-table.html

RobDon Mar 28th 2013 9:54 pm

There is no child benefit here whether you have residency or not. :thumbdown:
I read somewhere, a couple of years ago though, that you are allowed to claim your child benefit for six months once you have actually left the country. ;)
Something to do with if you dont settle and come back it is all still in place.
Not sure if this is still the case.

MrsFychan Mar 28th 2013 9:57 pm

ours stopped as soon as I gave them the date we departed. I was asked by the lady on the phone if we were likely to be returning within 3 years but as our plan is to stay for at least 5 years I didn't think to ask why.

PHONEJUNKY - if/when you call maybe you could ask them about the 3 yrs thing and let me know

Genesis Mar 28th 2013 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by RobDon (Post 10629882)
There is no child benefit here whether you have residency or not. :thumbdown:
I read somewhere, a couple of years ago though, that you are allowed to claim your child benefit for six months once you have actually left the country. ;)
Something to do with if you dont settle and come back it is all still in place.
Not sure if this is still the case.

You git working for family tax credits. One of the parents has to be in full time employment, 40hrs plus and it depends on how many sub 16 (I think is the age limit) kids you have and how much TOTAL income the house brings in. To give you an idea we have 3 kids sub 16 and our GROSS income was about 83-85 I think from memory and we got about $5k, you get it either monthly or in a lump sum.

You CANNOT claim this AND have the 4 year foreign earnings tax free that all new residents get, and yes I think you have to be a resident.

Genesis Mar 28th 2013 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10629886)
ours stopped as soon as I gave them the date we departed. I was asked by the lady on the phone if we were likely to be returning within 3 years but as our plan is to stay for at least 5 years I didn't think to ask why.

PHONEJUNKY - if/when you call maybe you could ask them about the 3 yrs thing and let me know

We just got a 498 pound bill from the UK for being overpaid in 2006 child tax credits AFTER we left, we are sure we told them we had gone, they are adamant we have to repay them. We alas have no bank details to check we were paid what they say we were.

MrsFychan Mar 28th 2013 10:09 pm

I work in After School Care and got an email this week from one of the parents saying there was no point me issuing receipts for payments made as IRD are no longer giving tax credit for child care.

RobDon Mar 28th 2013 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 10629889)
You git working for family tax credits. One of the parents has to be in full time employment, 40hrs plus and it depends on how many sub 16 (I think is the age limit) kids you have and how much TOTAL income the house brings in. To give you an idea we have 3 kids sub 16 and our GROSS income was about 83-85 I think from memory and we got about $5k, you get it either monthly or in a lump sum.

You CANNOT claim this AND have the 4 year foreign earnings tax free that all new residents get, and yes I think you have to be a resident.

Sorry, I thought PHONEJUNKY meant is there any non-means tested benefits, similar to British CB, available in NZ for families with under 16`s. Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick.
Working for families tax credits is available but it is means tested.

PHONEJUNKY Mar 29th 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks everyone being helpful, and when I do contact the DWP in the UK before we leave I will ask about the 3 year thing.

Interesting about the family tax credit dont think we will qualify only one of my children is under 16. Might have a couple more kids just to be eligible for extra benefits (ha ha, only joking!!!) My days of having more children are well and truly over.

RobDon Mar 29th 2013 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by PHONEJUNKY (Post 10630930)
Thanks everyone being helpful, and when I do contact the DWP in the UK before we leave I will ask about the 3 year thing.

Interesting about the family tax credit dont think we will qualify only one of my children is under 16. Might have a couple more kids just to be eligible for extra benefits (ha ha, only joking!!!) My days of having more children are well and truly over.

You may still qualify even if you only have 1 under 16. :thumbup:

concretepump Mar 29th 2013 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 10629898)
We just got a 498 pound bill from the UK for being overpaid in 2006 child tax credits AFTER we left, we are sure we told them we had gone, they are adamant we have to repay them. We alas have no bank details to check we were paid what they say we were.

hi genesis
the bank, should still have you info, even after all this time if you get in touch, with them you will only have to pay for copys, maybe a bit more to send to nz or they can e-mail worth a try

simonsi Mar 29th 2013 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 10629898)

Surely child tax credits were "paid" through a reduction in your monthly tax bill (or possibly a net payment via your employers payroll), rather than separate bank payments as with Child Benefit (they are completely different things).

Your PAYE records would show them I would think. If you weren't earning in the UK though, I don't know how they would be "paid" if you aren't on a payroll???