Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What Happened to the Haka??

What Happened to the Haka??

Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:01 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What Happened to the Haka??

Is it true that the All Blacks didn't perform The Haka in Cardiff today because it was deemed to be not politically correct?

Does this mean that next time they'll be told they can't be called the All Blacks because that's rascist?

Will they have to change the colour of their kit because it's whiteist?

Someone tell me there was a different reason pleeeeeaaaaase!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:05 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Happened to the Haka??

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Is it true that the All Blacks didn't perform The Haka in Cardiff today because it was deemed to be not politically correct?

Does this mean that next time they'll be told they can't be called the All Blacks because that's rascist?

Will they have to change the colour of their kit because it's whiteist?

Someone tell me there was a different reason pleeeeeaaaaase!

Did it in the dressing room before the game!!! Lots of booing as you can imagine and the air was a very fine shade of blue in our living room
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Did it in the dressing room before the game!!! Lots of booing as you can imagine and the air was a very fine shade of blue in our living room
I was all settled with my new huge flags, one NZ, one All Blacks, made the kids assume the position, kness bent, hands on knees ... then nothing? Gutted! Had offered to help Dan the man with the slapping of his body, but no call up?

Was it coz it's considered non PC? If it is, I shall get me coat now! Totally pathetic!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Ok jump on me for this if you want. :scared: ...but it drives me crazy!!! I think its use has just gone too far!!!
Why are Kiwis allowed to hold up everything because they want to do the Haka??? What if all countries wanted to do something similar.
Remember the Olympics??? it was ridiculous every medal they got proceedings were held up even for a silver or bronze. (good job we didn't win more we may have made the whole event go on for an extra day!!!)
What makes Kiwis special???
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:14 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I was all settled with my new huge flags, one NZ, one All Blacks, made the kids assume the position, kness bent, hands on knees ... then nothing? Gutted! Had offered to help Dan the man with the slapping of his body, but no call up?

Was it coz it's considered non PC? If it is, I shall get me coat now! Totally pathetic!

Think the Welsh Rugby Union objected to it!!! My kids were far from impressed altho' Hannah soon cheered up at the sight of her "boyfriend"!!! That child is gonna give us sleepless nights as she gets older!! :scared:

Expected to see Rugby Matt had already been on to rant
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Ok jump on me for this if you want. :scared: ...but it drives me crazy!!! I think its use has just gone too far!!!
Why are Kiwis allowed to hold up everything because they want to do the Haka??? What if all countries wanted to do something similar.
Remember the Olympics??? it was ridiculous every medal they got proceedings were held up even for a silver or bronze. (good job we didn't win more we may have made the whole event go on for an extra day!!!)
I think it's a great thing for a country to do that shows a certain element of patrioism (sp?), and unity. All we Engalnd fans can muster is banging off a drum, tooting on a trupmet to the DamBusters (which when you think about it isn't very PC?) or flicking coins at the opposition when losing - which sadly is most of the time, or at least when it counts!

I don't know about the Olympics I must confess - not my thing I'm afraid!

What makes Kiwis special? My hubby's one and he very special!

But, no, I won't jump on you, that would be inappropriate and rude - not to mention a health and safety issues from this distance!!!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:18 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jueinnz

I think the Kiwis doing the Haka is part of Rugby Tradition.
I for one can't remember them NOT doing it.

I also think the fact that the Kiwis and their supporters observed the minutes silence for the Welsh RU chairman who had passed away, would have deserved a reciprical mark of respect by recognising the Haka
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:19 pm

I think it's a great thing for a country to do that shows a certain element of patrioism (sp?), and unity. All we Engalnd fans can muster is banging off a drum, tooting on a trupmet to the DamBusters (which when you think about it isn't very PC?) or flicking coins at the opposition when losing - which sadly is most of the time, or at least when it counts!

I don't know about the Olympics I must confess - not my thing I'm afraid!

What makes Kiwis special? My hubby's one and he very special!

But, no, I won't jump on you, that would be inappropriate and rude - not to mention a health and safety issues from this distance!!!
Trupmet/trumpet/whatever!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:20 pm

I think the Kiwis doing the Haka is part of Rugby Tradition.
I for one can't remember them NOT doing it.

I also think the fact that the Kiwis and their supporters observed the minutes silence for the Welsh RU chairman who had passed away, would have deserved a reciprical mark of respect by recognising the Haka
Good point, for you!!

Did Hannah see the blonde in the crowd at the end pointing to her left breastical where her t-shirt read "No. 1 Dan Fan" ??!!

I've asked Father Christmas for an All Blacks t-shirt with number 10 on the back and "Mrs Carter"
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:22 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Did Hannah see the blonde in the crowd at the end pointing to her left breastical where her t-shirt read "No. 1 Dan Fan" ??!!

Think Hannie may have growled at said person !!!!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:34 pm

Think Hannie may have growled at said person !!!!
Then she is more restrained than me!!!

Hubby just read on Teletext that they were told to perform the Haka after their National Anthem and then the Welsh National Anthem would be sung after, before play.

The sad thing being that to me, a complete novice in this area, thinks (just my opinion) this shows huge insecurity on the Welsh side?! Oooo, the big men in black have scared and unsettled me, I'll feel a whole lot more comfortable if I belt out my National Anthem first?!

The Haka is not what makes the All Blacks the best team in the world at rugby, their talent makes them the best team in the world at rugby. And they haven't even played their 1st team yet!!!

(P.S: I have no idea how rugby works, all the above is just my opinion or Hubby's knowledge!!! )
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:41 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Then she is more restrained than me!!!

Hubby just read on Teletext that they were told to perform the Haka after their National Anthem and then the Welsh National Anthem would be sung after, before play.

The sad thing being that to me, a complete novice in this area, thinks (just my opinion) this shows huge insecurity on the Welsh side?! Oooo, the big men in black have scared and unsettled me, I'll feel a whole lot more comfortable if I belt out my National Anthem first?!

The Haka is not what makes the All Blacks the best team in the world at rugby, their talent makes them the best team in the world at rugby. And they haven't even played their 1st team yet!!!

(P.S: I have no idea how rugby works, all the above is just my opinion or Hubby's knowledge!!! )

Proved themselves in the best way possible by going out and winning by a huge margin!!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:43 pm

Proved themselves in the best way possible by going out and winning by a huge margin!!
And just wearing black sooo much better than the Welsh wore red?! SexGods that they are ... well I think 2 of them are, and considering the population of New Zealand and the number in a rugby team, I have high hopes for eye candy levels when we get there!!!

Only window shopping you understand!!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

The WRU wanted to sing their anthem after the Haka, so the AB's chose to do Ka Mate in their dressing room.
A couple of years ago the AB's agreed to this same course of action but as a mark of respect of the centenary of the WRU and were assured it was a one off request.

I love seeing the Haka but can totally understand those who are in the unfair advantage camp that believe that it gives the AB's an edge while the opposition just have to stand there and take it.

Personally I thought the Welsh really fancied their chances and thought this would upset the AB apple cart- how wrong could you be, the result speaks volumes.

ps- any one fancy Andy Robinsons job

Lee
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:52 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

ps- any one fancy Andy Robinsons job

Lee[/QUOTE]

Think whoever takes over there is facing an uphill struggle to find the same calibre of team as we had for the last World Cup.

Our local team ( Northampton Saints) just doesn't seem to have that standard of home grown talent expect for the likes of Ben Cohen; in fact the Kiwis in the team are probably better!!! ( slightly unfair cos they've got Carlos Spencer)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.