Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What is it with grey?

What is it with grey?

Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of
Default Re: What is it with grey?

Yay! Perhaps I am getting a calling to ditch nursing and become an interior designer (or work in a paint factory??)
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

catt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the rough

What gets me is the grey carpet with big paler grey swirls on it. No matter what part of the country you look at you find the same carpet in a variety of different styles of houses. I guess they must have left the carpet machine running and it produced millions of yards of it so it had to be put somewhere
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:16 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Our house had cream walls in every room, cream carpet in the lounge, and the curtains we brought with us are, you guessed it, cream.

So bland!!

Thought I think I might have gone a bit too far the other way with the paint I bought for our "rumpus room" - it's called "Daffodil"

The lounge is now red ("Carmen Miranda"!!!) dining room and hall are blue and brown. Spare room is lilac/blue.

Much better!!

We still have the original blue bathroom suite at the moment
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:11 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

you're absolutely right, it does seem to be the newer builds that are very grey.
Ours is an old villa and was pale green all over the place with a red and yellow bathroom!!
First thing I did was paint everything, then we got new kitchen.
Friends of ours have a huge villa and have painted it grey and dark grey on the outside with cream window frames and doors and fretwork and it looks amazing, though.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's far more noticable and annoying because people tend to do the house in the same colour the whole way through. If it's grey, everything is grey.

We have *rustic* (fake distressed) terracotta tiles that start outside the front door, are all the way through the hall, in the bathroom, with the same tiles in the laundry and kitchen. I could cope with hating one area of tiles that appear permanently dirty, but why do we have to have them through the whole house, :curse:

I agree some of the the uber-modern 'gourmet kitchens' especially those with the rounded clear doors that they fit in the new plastic palaces ought to be banned. OMG, they're a shocker and should not be allowed!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

OH saw an advert for a paint company the other day and drew my attention to it as it showed bits of Wellington and it was a couple doing supposed colour matches....cannot remember the slogan but the gist of the advert seemed to be that the colour match for all these beautiful locations was...well you guessed it......grey....... so the advertisers must have had this trend in mind.

I had a greyish kitchen in UK in a new build but it was much lighter than the NZ grey and I would never want grey throughout a house...I love neutrals though especially cream.

Has anyone else noticed the trend in cafes for dark brown with either dark wood or metallics...also a bit on the boring side?
Old Mar 1st 2008, 6:30 am
Just Joined

sophiekins is a jewel in the roughsophiekins is a jewel in the roughsophiekins is a jewel in the roughsophiekins is a jewel in the roughsophiekins is a jewel in the rough

LOL - my kitchen is soo murkey grey (rented) - I wanna spark up the old swan Vestas!! My friends just had her house painted grey - INSIDE AND OUT - WHAT are they thinking??? How is this a good look?? Do they not have the old Crown colour cards here - or just one? As someone else said - I thought Magnolia was boring - but bring it on - feel like i'm on a submarine most of the time.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 6:45 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sophiekins
LOL - my kitchen is soo murkey grey (rented) - I wanna spark up the old swan Vestas!! My friends just had her house painted grey - INSIDE AND OUT - WHAT are they thinking??? How is this a good look?? Do they not have the old Crown colour cards here - or just one? As someone else said - I thought Magnolia was boring - but bring it on - feel like i'm on a submarine most of the time.
Could be worse - it could be 70's wallpaper like my rental........
However, I have a waste disposal system, a log burner, DVS and a heat pump so not complaining tooooooo much
Old Mar 1st 2008, 6:56 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

WE visited friends in a new build and were horrified by the grey tones throughout the WHOLE house! We've gone for a putty and half putty base with feature walls and allowed the kids to go wild
Old Mar 1st 2008, 4:16 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of

Look this one isn't grey!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Pr....htm?key=21065

Too expensive but it isn't grey - perhaps colours demand a premium now!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 5:17 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spid
perhaps colours demand a premium now!

Not usually.

I find the colours in that house make me feel really irritated and on edge. Which I thought was really weird. Especially the red kitchen. Although we had a red feature wall in the kitchen of our last house.

Great views though.

Now that I have children, I need calm neutral colours. Hints of pale blue/green are as colourful as I can go.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

oooh! Spid. I wouldn't mind living there. love the huge dog in the bedroom!

Yes. our whole house is painted in tawny crest 5! (in the magnolia family) and i came home with a green rug, and some green vases, and my Hubby was not happy. He's in for a shock in NZ, i am going to go colour mad!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

When we first moved into our black and white exterior house, 1 bedroom was white (ours),1 was 4 big beige and brown squares,1 was lilac and light green (as in 1 wall,split top feft to bottom right in two triangles), and 1 was a dark blood red. The hall was a light turquoise,and the living room white and beige.
They're divorced now.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yuk! That has given me a headache just trying to imagine it!!

What colour is it now then??
Old Mar 1st 2008, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

The beige and brown squares are now cream,(daughters), the four red walls are now 1,with 3 white(son is a Liverpool fan-couldn't let him down), but stunningly the lilac and green still rules (son,4 doesn't care and we skint!!).
Ours is still virginal white (14 years married-seems ironically appropriate), and the hall is the same. Living room we got used to!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.