Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What food do you most miss from UK?

What food do you most miss from UK?

Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:36 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What food do you most miss from UK?

PAXO!!!!!!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
one of our sites here sells hotdogs on sticks, why?!?!?
Because it's heaps tastier... did you not know that???!!!!!

If you go to Japan and Korea you will see them easily I think (I am totally not sure now but it was when I was little)
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
houmous/humous (hummus doesn't taste quite right)
I don't eat humous stuff in NZ - the taste really weird
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dustybin
you can get a decent curry.. ...
(Recently) I even feel Pataks Curry sauce.co.uk doesn't taste quite right ...:curse:

apart from Pataks, other curry sauce at supermarkets (in NZ) you can get they are utter rubbish

hence I don't eat curry lately - means I don't cook curry at home. strictly speaking I don't know how to make proper Indian curry from scratch!........

think we've been to every Indian Curry place in Wellington while Paul was here (for 2 years). Because he is mad about Thai and Curry

Great India Restaurant was best
Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:30 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

two fat indians in christchurch is good. Go in tell them that you are english.. or curry and there you go! easy. I've found (rash generalisation time) the kiwis like the idea of spicy food, as long as it isn't spicy.. Saying that I think most of the curry in the UK is crap.. but I've been to india
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

A friend in the Uk mentioned that they had been to Frankie & Benny's & I had a sudden urge to go

A decent Chinese & crispy aromatic duck.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:17 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Saying that I think most of the curry in the UK is crap.. but I've been to india
Better Indian food in Malaysia in my humble opinion.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by happynz
Better Indian food in Malaysia in my humble opinion.
only if you ike meat!!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:45 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

My favourites are the banana leaf thalis with a mountain of rice and about a dozen different curries and pickled something-or-rathers. Breakfast of champions are roti canai and dhal dip and giant lava hot coffees for the caffeine fix.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by happynz
My favourites are the banana leaf thalis with a mountain of rice and about a dozen different curries and pickled something-or-rathers. Breakfast of champions are roti canai and dhal dip and giant lava hot coffees for the caffeine fix.
I just had dhal for my tea.. and very nice it was too!

We found this dish, normally called something like 'house special' that was a three curry thing on one plate. Red, yellow and green curries from mild to spicy. Bloody great it was too! no idea what was in it tho.. .
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Adventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to allAdventurer is a name known to all

Decent Pastries.
Better bread choice.
Decent Fruit cake.
Lots of other bakery products.
Better tasting fresh salmon.
Jaffa Cakes.
Choice of Fresh prepared Microwave Meals.
Better Jams and Marmalades.
More choice of fat free products inc dairy.
More choice on lots of items.
Marmite, Sandwich Spread, Matzos, Twiglets, Crunchies, twix.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:07 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

and Hula Hoops.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

two fat indians in christchurch is good. Go in tell them that you are english.. or curry and there you go! easy. I've found (rash generalisation time) the kiwis like the idea of spicy food, as long as it isn't spicy.. Saying that I think most of the curry in the UK is crap.. but I've been to india
We go there,not quite the same but good enough,travel from Rangiora(which has an Indian but awfull) to Merival to get takeaway!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

two fat indians in christchurch is good. Go in tell them that you are english.. :
telling them you are British won't make any real difference - perhaps they can make it nicer (Specially formulated ) for you (if you ask) but they will charge you more. why not?

surely no one would believe I am British :curse:
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

In the same vein as the Indian, I miss good Mexican food, the stuff I have had here has been a bit tex-mex (see Sweet Mothers Kitchen) or not bad (Flying Burritos on a good day!) but nothing fantastic! We had 2 or 3 great Mexicans in Edinburgh and I miss them!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.