Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What food do you most miss from UK?

What food do you most miss from UK?

Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What food do you most miss from UK?

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I think I'm over most things, but occasionally the voices in my head still tell me otherwise.

Jam doughnuts is a biggie, why oh why can't we get jam doughnuts?

Also Pizza Express, where are they? Surely someone is missing a nice business opportunity. Hells Pizza is good enough but doesn't quite reach the spot - they only do takeaways and I'd really like a sit down fresh out of the oven restaurant pizza, some doughballs and garlic butter, some salad and a well chilled bottle of Peroni.

That made me because it is so true! I've been bulk buying red peppers over the past few weeks when they were really cheap, roasting them and putting them in the freezer for the winter months. I was gutted this week, I needed a fresh pepper (capsicum if you must) for a spanish omlette and they were back up to $1.49 for a tiny wizzened little thing. :curse: No more fajitas till next summer.
OK, you HAD to mention Pizza express, grrrrr, I had blocked that one from my mind, not fair
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:47 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I'd forgotten how good they were until you metioned Pizzas "Hell" Hath no Pizza......like an Express one.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:48 am

(now I've developed a lisp)
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

OneManAndHisDog is an unknown quantity at this point

I found Walkers Smokey Bacon crisps in my local New World the other day ($2.50 a packet!?!?!?!?) and indulged. Beats the Chucken crisps over here which taste like somebody's crumbled an OXO cube and a sugar cube into the packet.

There's some odd stuff in there under the English section though. I've only been over here for 9 months but I can't remember seeing (or definitely being very popular that it would warrant shipping) a Maltesers Hot Chocolate drink.

Also Heinz Baked Beans (with a 2 for 1 pound label on) selling at nearly $3 and a box of PG Tips Pyramids for $12. Talking of which - you can buy PG Tips over here in the ordinary tea section but the box looks like something from the 1970's.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:52 am

I buy the pyramid bags here for $5 something in Coles. What supermarket did you see them in?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nerine
I buy the pyramid bags here for $5 something in Coles. What supermarket did you see them in?
New World in Albany. Fortunately I'm not a tea drinker but I was still alarmed at the cost of something that's not quickly perishable.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I'd forgotten how good they were until you metioned Pizzas "Hell" Hath no Pizza......like an Express one.
Hell hath 'Grimm': Chicken, Cream Cheese, Pine Nuts, Spring Onions, Rosemary and APRICOT sauce.

Grimm indeed, apricot sauce? WTF?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:33 am

I know.....jam on yer Pizza!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Stop that, how dare you criticise it - it's gourmet. So overused and abused in Australasia to describe anything slightly above something you purchase from a Four Square regardless of how edible it is!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve and Julie
Hi All
Having posted a reply, I started thinking about food items I most missed from the UK as, Choc doesnt taste quite the same here and a list came to mind of what I miss most, so here goes,
Walkers Crisps, Beef and Onion, Prawn Cocktail.
M&S food
Twiglets
Jammy Wagon Wheels
Jaffa Cakes
Atlantic Prawns / Cod
Maple and Walnut Slice
Chewy Cookies M&S
I could keep going on but, what do you miss?
Thanks
Julie

A curry! I havent found any Indian here that matches the "British" style Indian restaurant. Maybe they are too authentic here!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Now if only they could find their way to get that jam into a doughnut, we'd all be happy.

Lesson one from the Poms Edmunds Cookbook revised edition: Jam belongs in doughnuts NOT on Pizza.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:18 am

I think they have, it's called Calzone isn't it?

Stop that, how dare you criticise it - it's gourmet. So overused and abused in Australasia to describe anything slightly above something you purchase from a Four Square regardless of how edible it is!
Sorry, that was a bit child-like of me .

Paua fritters and apricot jam......yum yum!!!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

I think they have, it's called Calzone isn't it?

Sorry, that was a bit child-like of me .

Paua fritters and apricot jam......yum yum!!!
Paua fritters with gourmet apricot jam.

Add parsley to a mince and potato pie and it's suddenly gourmet.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:02 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OneManAndHisDog
Paua fritters with gourmet apricot jam.

Add parsley to a mince and potato pie and it's suddenly gourmet.
stick a table cloth on and you're eating it in a "boutique" restaurant......
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Butter on your muffin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.