Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What food do you most miss from UK?

What food do you most miss from UK?

Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice
Default What food do you most miss from UK?

Hi All
Having posted a reply, I started thinking about food items I most missed from the UK as, Choc doesnt taste quite the same here and a list came to mind of what I miss most, so here goes,
Walkers Crisps, Beef and Onion, Prawn Cocktail.
M&S food
Twiglets
Jammy Wagon Wheels
Jaffa Cakes
Atlantic Prawns / Cod
Maple and Walnut Slice
Chewy Cookies M&S
I could keep going on but, what do you miss?
Thanks
Julie

Last edited by Steve and Julie; Mar 30th 2008 at 7:21 am.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:02 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What food do you most miss from UK?

a decent curry!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:04 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dreamfish
a decent curry!
here here

oh and a decent kebab
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Curry,kebab and BUDWIESER BEER!!!!!!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:19 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

A barnecutts cornish pasty, I have made my own, but they weren't the same, but did the trick. ( The pasties in woolworths look like they have peas and carrots in, )
Don't miss much else, enjoy all the different things here, we find the Beef much tastier here than Beef we had in U.k .
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Spudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really nice
Wink Re: What food do you most miss from UK?

Yeah, gotta be a decent curry or Chinese. Oh and a decent Glasgow morning roll. Well fired. ( Scottish thing there, for my fellow Jocks)
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

Hi Marika
I do agree, the meats are much better here than the UK. More Flavour.
Fruit is good as well. We do eat much more healthily here but, sometimes
miss the naughty nibbles.
Julie
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:51 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Hi julie, try the Arnott's Shapes, different flavours for naughty nibbles, also cadburys range here is bigger, Coconut Rough is one of our fave's, delicious.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

Just had kippers for brekfast, dont think i will be doing that in NZ, whole house now smells like Grimsby docks OH hates them
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

tommytucker1975 is a jewel in the roughtommytucker1975 is a jewel in the roughtommytucker1975 is a jewel in the roughtommytucker1975 is a jewel in the roughtommytucker1975 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon
Just had kippers for brekfast, dont think i will be doing that in NZ, whole house now smells like Grimsby docks OH hates them
Been here less than 4 weeks and missing couple of things, walkers crisps (all varieties esp. salt n vinegar square crisps) daddies sauce, john smiths.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

My sister, who has been here 5 yrs asked me this the other day adn after 4 months I replied nothing really. Then she mentioned Seabrooks prawn and cocktail...........I neally cried

Oh and another thing, as a bloke on his own I used to use ready meals too often. The options here are dire or really expensive, so I'm getting used to cooking from scratch. I cook a meal for four and freeze 3 portionsfor nuking later. Homemade fast food!!

Actually the sauces are pretty pants too, especially the curries. You have to start with the paste and get to know your herbs and spices.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Stef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud of

I am actually not missing too much, I am enjoying the food here more than what I thought.

Don't take the P*** out of me here but I do miss the odd packet of Pickled Onion Monster Munch and Prawn Cocktail crisps. When we went to Wellington the other week we went the the shop Cool Brittania and although they were $2.50 per packet I bought 3 bags of Pickled Onion crisps and enjoyed every bite!

I also bought a bottle of Sarsons Vinegar but only for the vinegar shaker, has anyone else noticed that they don't sell anything to "safely", and I don't use that word lightly, get vineger out of the bottle on onto your plate??!! LOL.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stef_Paul

I also bought a bottle of Sarsons Vinegar but only for the vinegar shaker, has anyone else noticed that they don't sell anything to "safely", and I don't use that word lightly, get vineger out of the bottle on onto your plate??!! LOL.
I make a hole in the top of the plastic lid, it works just like a Sarsons shaker

Catkin
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Lincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really niceLincolnshire Lass is just really nice

LINCOLNSHIRE SAUSAGES!!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Construction Site canteen food!! The stuff here is not the same, when I have a hangover I want a sausage or bacon buttie and a can of Irn Bru, one of our sites here sells hotdogs on sticks, why?!?!?

And I do miss M&S food still...especially when I need to nip out at lunchtime for a sandwich or something!! Wishbone here is pretty good, if a bit pricey for that though...

Oh, and those muffins you get in M&S that are crispy on top and have runny chocolate on the inside, mmmmmmmmm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.