British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What an embarrassment this man is.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-embarrassment-man-882955/)

LoCarb Sep 6th 2016 10:45 pm

What an embarrassment this man is....

Daily Telegraph:

"New Zealand needs migrant workers to make up for locals who are lazy or on drugs, prime minister says"

New Zealand needs migrant workers to make up for locals who are lazy or on drugs, prime minister says�

barnsleymat Sep 7th 2016 12:14 am

Re: What an embarrassment this man is....

But you always get told Kiwi's are known the world over to be hard workers, apparently employers in London fight over available Kiwi workers!!!!!

Another popular myth kept alive by the locals.

jmh Sep 7th 2016 1:42 am

I had a client who worked for one of the fruit picking companies as a manager. They ditched NZ workers in favour of the islanders because they are more obedient. Migrants are afraid they'll be kicked out so they do as they are told for little money. Often they are forced to live on site (for which they are charged rent) so of course they turn up. Once their position is more secure, e.g. residency, they move on and take the more attractive jobs in companies that pay a decent wage and treat their staff better.

You would think the leader of a country would be working on upskilling local people instead of throwing them on the scrap heap and bringing in labour from overseas - it's a sign of poor management at the top.

Justcol Sep 7th 2016 7:21 am

Comments quoted out of context to create the story the author wanted

Personally, even if the comments were made in the context of the quote
I would praise a prime minister who can be so honest. Would you rather him lie
and claim that half the lazy arse dropkicks dont exist. Lets not confuse these tossers
with your ordinary decent hard working folk.

LoCarb Sep 7th 2016 8:05 am

Looks like there is more to it than some knee-jerk commentators acknowledge.

Leon Stallard - a grower:
"We have 10 weeks of harvest. It is difficult for New Zealanders to come from out of town, to find accommodation just for a period of 10 weeks - and then there's the issue of if they bring families, the issue of schooling and finding schooling for them for that time, and making sure they don't fall though the cracks ... Basically, adds pressure if you're running your own business to have to do all that pastoral care too, which comes with the territory and we understand that."

Kotare Sep 7th 2016 8:25 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12045381)
But you always get told Kiwi's are known the world over to be hard workers, apparently employers in London fight over available Kiwi workers!!!!!

Apparently the lazy NZ tossers are better than the lazy UK tossers :-)

But probably the Kiwis who got off their ass and went to London aren't lazy druggies.

scrubbedexpat094 Sep 7th 2016 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12045381)

Friends of ours in Brisbane mentioned that Kiwi workers have a reputation for being lazy and more interested in their smoko breaks. There was an article on one of those early evening shows last week about the difficulty of employing young people in the trades. They all want to start on large salaries rather than put the hard yards in work their way up in the world. I do believe that some parents have raised 'entitled' children. Thankfully I know some kids that are very hard-working and show initiative. I'd like to think they are in the majority.

BEVS Sep 7th 2016 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12045595)
But probably the Kiwis who got off their ass and went to London aren't lazy druggies.

They're on their OE. Who knows what they drink and smoke. They OE for a good time and adventure.

This will be more about the ones that don't or cannot afford to OE. The ones that could do the orchard/vineyard work but don't want to as it is hard work and low pay.

That is why NZ Immigration has the seasonal workers policy to bring in the Pacific Islanders each year. It is because the locals will not do the work. The orchards and vineyards rely on that policy + backpackers on WHV to make up the workforce.

There are some that routinely work at the vineyards tying vines etc but mostly those are the more mature rural person that grew up with nothing but that work & farming.

I will also say here , that is why corrections officers are in a special immy category as NZ Corrections cannot keep the posts filled so must look to overseas. It is work that many Kiwis do not want .

I am no fan of John Key at all. His policies & his ministers are the pits , IMO of course. However , on the subject of New Zealand needing immigrants, temporary or otherwise, he is correct. NZ needs immigrants & NZ needs to face up to that fact that NZ needs immigrants more than immigrants need NZ.

Stormer999 Sep 7th 2016 10:06 pm

Not too long ago I was working on an advisory role ref utilities and maintenance for a large molding company in Chippenham UK that, although paying good wages could not fill too many job vacancies for manual work. Hence the company, daily, had to bring in a bus full of Polish and Latvian workers from an agency based in Cirencester. The local lads were mostly signed on claiming benefits and working cash in hand on building work. So, no they were not lazy just people who could earn more by doing easier, more flexible work. ;)

BEVS Sep 7th 2016 10:21 pm

Should I move your post to the UK forum Stormer, as it is about the UK & bugger all to do with New ZEaland . Perhaps those living there would like to comment.

This is about NZ, and the comments the actual very Kiwi NZ Prime Minister made.

Have you read the article ? What do you think of his comments? This doesn't just come from him alone y'know. This comes from actual employers here.

Should NZ adjust it's seasonal worker policy perhaps and alter how Work & Income gives benefits to those locals unwilling to take up local paid employment ?

Given the area where I live and the people we know here, I'd say he reflects how several of the employers feel. They need the Pacific Islands to come in. The exception to this is the Talley's fishing boat operation. Tough work with tougher shifts out to sea BUT money to be made and those workers choose to either work hard and play hard or work hard and save hard. Mostly Maori and semi-rural small town folk where job opportunities are very limited for those with no skills and basic school education.

The black economy, tax dodging, issue in NZ is a whole other matter and perhaps for another thread.

Kotare Sep 7th 2016 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12046258)
Should I move your post to the UK forum Stormer, as it is about the UK & bugger all to do with New ZEaland . Perhaps those living there would like to comment.

This is about NZ, and the comments the actual very Kiwi NZ Prime Minister made.

Have you read the article ? What do you think of his comments? This doesn't just come from him alone y'know. This comes from actual employers here.

Should NZ adjust it's seasonal worker policy perhaps and alter how Work & Income gives benefits to those locals unwilling to take up local paid employment ?

The black economy, tax dodging, issue in NZ is a whole other matter and perhaps for another thread.

I think Stormer's comment and mine merely reflect that the problems are common to both NZ and UK. Can you imagine the outrage if May made those comments.Yet we complain politicians don't tell it as it is 😀

LoCarb Sep 7th 2016 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12046179)
However , on the subject of New Zealand needing immigrants, temporary or otherwise, he is correct. NZ needs immigrants & NZ needs to face up to that fact that NZ needs immigrants more than immigrants need NZ.

Yes... but. I can't see Theresa May dissing her fellow countrymen quite like Key just did.

Typical National party attitude, from him and his ministers :frown:

It's quite clear Key is under pressure about the high immigration numbers and Auckland housing market, so he picked on an easy target as usual.

BEVS Sep 7th 2016 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12046263)
I think Stormer's comment and mine merely reflect that the problems are common to both NZ and UK. Can you imagine the outrage if May made those comments.Yet we complain politicians don't tell it as it is 😀

*sigh* Yes. You two are the everlasting defenders of the faith. :rolleyes:

Do you have an actual viewpoint or opinion on Key's observations to share.

I hadn't even thought about whether he should have voiced his thoughts as he did. I was far more focused on the issues he raised as it is about NZ which is where I am.

How about you guys?

Is he right? Wrong? A bit of both?

If NZ does not like the immigration numbers coming in be it temp. or perm. , then what does one suggest can be done to change that.

BEVS Sep 7th 2016 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by LoCarb (Post 12046267)
Yes... but. I can't see Theresa May dissing her fellow countrymen quite like Key just did.
Typical National party attitude, from him and his ministers :frown:
It's quite clear Key is under pressure about the high immigration numbers and Auckland housing market, so he picked on an easy target as usual.

Well yes. I am no fan of him or his Ministers as I said. However doesn't NZ pride itself on its straight talking . Winston Peters is just the same. :p

Who is the easy target then?

Do his observations hold some truth?

There is a discussion that could be had about the issue raised if people stop being defensive.

LoCarb Sep 7th 2016 10:58 pm

New Zealand has suffered from a seasonal worker shortage for decades, so this is absolutely nothing new. Most people want a permanent job, not a fill-in.

Seasonal work used to be something mums did to earn some extra cash or students doing holiday work, backpackers etc.

Not sure if this is still the case, but once you finished a temp job and went back on the benefit, you had a stand-down period with no income.

What is the pay like for fruit picking anyway? Are orchardists paying enough to attract NZ workers or do they rely on cheap labour from the Pacific Islands to make a profit, therefore keep wages low?