British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   what on earth is going on in Canterbury??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-earth-going-canterbury-844240/)

Blade Down Under Oct 1st 2014 9:34 am

what on earth is going on in Canterbury???

Is September and October the common months for road deaths in the Canterbury area??

It's quite worrying, reading about all these crashes and even worse deaths.

I saw the crash at Waikuku which turns out killed a 19 year old boy. Very upsetting to hear.

What's causing it???

kshurey Oct 1st 2014 7:47 pm

Re: what on earth is going on in Canterbury???

Idiot kiwi drivers, they seem to think that drink driving is acceptable and have no concept of driving to the road conditions. They are allowed to drive with no insurance, often have no licence at all, and take little or no responsibility for their actions.

Mark Smith Oct 1st 2014 7:58 pm

The standard of driving over here has been a shock. Tailgate, don't indicate, speed, jump lights, cell phones whilst driving, eat your breakfast whilst commuting, add to that the EQ's and people that can seem to plan journey times to accommodate road works, rush rush rush. Drink drive limit being reduced in December to that of aussie, still won't stop recidivist drink drivers, its going down to 250 - in the paper this morning a guy was caught asleep at the wheel and blew about 1100. I had a customer who admitted to having 7 bans for drink driving and was appalled that I thought insurance should be mandatory because that would mean he'd never be able to drive again. Another horrible factor is tourists not used to the roads, inattentive driving whilst looking at scenery and being on the wrong side of the road. Also punishments never seem to fit the crime. A truckie who tragically killed a cyclist this year gets an 8 month ban and a $10000 fine. He'll have to live with that forever, but where is the deterrent?

RobClubley Oct 1st 2014 8:38 pm

I think it's funny how the locals all blame the tourist drivers and seem to think they're all perfect behind the wheel.
Did you see the Stuff survey where about 1/3 of responders thought it was fine to text when driving?

BEVS Oct 1st 2014 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 11425043)
I think it's funny how the locals all blame the tourist drivers

Makes me spit does that.

The driving standards here are atrocious. I've been driven off the road by an oncoming ute taking a bend too fast and so on the wrong side of a road. I've seen someone stopped on a roundabout to let drivers out. I've seen plenty just drive over roundabouts. The side of my vehicle was scraped by someone who just could not bear the thought of me driving down R60 at 15k under the speed limit. The weather conditions meant nothing.
I've heard someone blame two campervans for an accident he caused by overtaking & driving too fast in wet conditions. Their fault. They're foreign. He had no insurance.
Argh!

Last month alone the police caught 4 drink drivers coming out of the village. Four ! So, how many actually were not caught. We have a lesser police presence here now because of cut backs. When you think of how few people there are here, it is shocking.

Can you tell it makes me very cross. :p

ellenarosemary Oct 1st 2014 10:04 pm

I regularly cross numerous crossings in Wellington CBD but never go until its safe and indicated to do so. Why, because people, particularly bus drivers in the CBD dont seem to know what a red light is. Just because it's red and people are starting to cross doesnt mean you can still go.

Was also tailgated the other day by a ute, who was so close, I couldnt see their headlights.

To be quite honest, given the level of bad driving, I'm surprised there arnt more accidents and deaths.

kshurey Oct 1st 2014 10:06 pm

New Zealand, a third world country with a first world veneer!

Mark Smith Oct 1st 2014 10:13 pm

Ah I know a certain ex-Chch poster who would love this thread, except for the fact he was recently ran down at a Chch city pedestrian crossing - car didn't stop for the green man/woman.

RobClubley Oct 2nd 2014 12:34 am

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary (Post 11425138)
I regularly cross numerous crossings in Wellington CBD but never go until its safe and indicated to do so. Why, because people, particularly bus drivers in the CBD dont seem to know what a red light is. Just because it's red and people are starting to cross doesnt mean you can still go.

Was also tailgated the other day by a ute, who was so close, I couldnt see their headlights.

To be quite honest, given the level of bad driving, I'm surprised there arnt more accidents and deaths.

Yes! Every single work day I see at least one red light jumped by either a car, a bus or a pushbike.

LauraNotts Oct 2nd 2014 4:55 am

I'm taking driving lessons in Christchurch right now from a qualified instructor. She says the same thing and is shit hot on basic road courtesy. It's basically because people don't take lessons here, they learn from parents and then take a couple of formal lessons to scoot the test and go out on the road complete with lazy habits. They are pretty freaking awful drivers and it's hilarious that they don't know it and blame tourists. Heck the tourists are probably crashing cause they're freaked out by Kiwi driving. (And I love this country).

Jan n Neil Oct 2nd 2014 5:13 am

I do about 3000K a week with my job and have never seen such an appalling standard of driving in any country I have visited, it took me a long time to get used to it... The tourists are pretty bad especially in the campervans :thumbdown:

Neil

Mark Smith Oct 2nd 2014 5:13 am

How are you enjoying learning Laura? I'm sad to say I'm 36 and in the same boat and learning in Chch as well.

RobClubley Oct 2nd 2014 5:29 am

My wife just passed her restricted test. She's 39 and never drove in the UK. She's starting to enjoy the freedom now. :)

LauraNotts Oct 2nd 2014 5:39 am

Hehe Mark, I'm 30 so don't be too sad. UK public transport is excellent after all.

I am enjoying it so far, I am an absolute beginner though so it's all very basic right now but so far so good. Are you having proper lessons or learning with a friend?

Mark Smith Oct 2nd 2014 5:46 am

Proper lessons, with waimak driving school. Funny getting my head around the instructor teaching me to cross my hands over when steering. I don't think my wife wouldn't put up with teaching me.