Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you wish your had brought over from UK?

What do you wish your had brought over from UK?

Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

thelondonmacs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you wish your had brought over from UK?

Hi

I hear that some things are more expensive or worse quality in NZ compared to in the UK. What do you wish you had purchased and shipped over when you first came over instead of buying new when you got over there?

Thanks!
Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:18 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wish your had brought over from UK?

Um, nothing really. I didn't know that our portable t.v.'s would only get picture not sound in nz. Anyway as they are switching off the analogue t.v. signal this year in nz, they were only fit for the bin. Our wide screen t.v. was ok. No point hanging on to the portables in case we go back to the uk for the same reason.

The new t.v. we purchased here was part funded by Christmas present money from my Dad in 2011.

No point bringing our old car, just not worth the cost of shipping it. I got a good deal on a new microwave in nz for about fifty quid. Still got our old fridge freezer.

Anything less than a year old would be subject to duty on arrival in nz. So there's not much point buying new stuff. We didn't buy new furniture etc in case it got damaged in transit.

Any new furniture etc we get in the future will come from the sale. Just like it would have in Britain.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:47 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thelondonmacs
Hi

I hear that some things are more expensive or worse quality in NZ compared to in the UK. What do you wish you had purchased and shipped over when you first came over instead of buying new when you got over there?

Thanks!
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't buy anything new to ship over, as snapshot says, there's import duty to think about for a start.

However, if the stuff you own is serviceable then bring it.

The electrical system is to all intents and purposes the same as the U.K. Computer gear etc. etc. - bring your U.K. plug boards and then stick a NZ one on the end. Then you only have to change one plug and not a few dozen.

Stuff that I brought with me that I didn't need I sold.

Enjoy B.E.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I wish I'd brought over a decent house at a reasonable price!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

passthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud of

Upright vacuum cleaners, loads and loads of them. The ones here are very expensive and not very good so far. If I could relocate Fosse Park M and S then I'd bring that as well. And of course my sanity, lost it along the way. And snow at Christmas.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks!
a really nice TR6.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
I wish I'd brought over a decent house at a reasonable price!
yeah, a brick, Victorian house. And the pretty much earthquake free crust that the UK lies on. A decent govt? Mind you they are pretty crap there by all accounts.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

TESCO, IKEA, a decent curry house and some double glazing.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

A drawbridge
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:49 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Good looking guys and style
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:41 am
Just Joined

thelondonmacs is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha ha, excellent replies! Thanks everyone. I will see if I can pack my house (bricks and all) into the container! :-)
Old Mar 1st 2013, 6:51 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha, excellent replies! Thanks everyone. I will see if I can pack my house (bricks and all) into the container! :-)
No no no, don't bring a brick house! They fall down too easily and hurt people

Bring paint-that's very expensive
Upright vacuums have already been mentioned, I still grieve over the Dyson I left behind.
Bookshelves-not a lot of choice and expensive for reasonable ones here. How would they know they're not a year old?
Outdoor wear if you're into hiking
I do miss a good department store so if you could fit in a branch of John Lewis, Debenhams or Binns I'd be most grateful
Old Mar 1st 2013, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Running shoes and sports gear at knockdown prices from SportsDirect.com, if I have to suffer the limited stock and inflated prices at Rebel Sport just one more time I think I'll go mad!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Not bricks
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Bring paint-that's very expensive
I don't think you're allowed to bring paint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.