Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you wish your had brought over from UK?

What do you wish your had brought over from UK?

Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wish your had brought over from UK?

Originally Posted by BEVS
Not bricks
I spent 20 odd years thinking my darling Uncle lived in a brick house in Glenfield, until I finally visited him and found it was just a flimsy cladding
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Good one! And I bet you thought he had proper windows with window ledges as well!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

trafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond repute

Paracetamol and ibuprofen is cheaper in the UK (19p for 16 paracetamol in the UK supermarket). Batiste dry shampoo is hideously expensive in NZ (in fact any toiletries and makeup are cheaper in the UK). I have only visited NZ for the past 17 years (rather than lived there), so I only know the sort of stuff you run out of on holiday and need to buy locally - which always comes as a shock to the wallet. We are planning a move back to NZ at the beginning of next year, so the list might look a bit different then. I am planning on stocking those containers full to the brim with all my "essentials" (and hopefully not fall foul of the authorities), so that I wont run out for ages
Old Mar 6th 2013, 12:29 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmm..... the entire contents of screwfix, maplin, IKEA, a good outdoors shop (if there is one left), a spare washing machine, more hifi gear, undies (though I've never had to buy any from NZ myself - thanks Mum)

Most other true rip-off stuff, specs/books/CDs/electrical bits and pieces can now be gotten off the interweb and sent over for not much lolly. Not as bad as when we arrived in 2007.

Even football gear from Kitbag.com was on free shipping last week so the kids got some boots and me a pair of shorts!

Real double glazing would be a start when you're looking at houses. But I truly shudder to think how much it would cost in NZ!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 12:32 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
Good one! And I bet you thought he had proper windows with window ledges as well!
yeah - lovely term "brick veneer"
was at a house fire involving a state house from the 60s the other day
the only thing to perform well was the dividing wall between the two "semis" and guess what?
it was made of real red brick!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 3:56 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
Mmmmm..... the entire contents of screwfix, maplin, IKEA, a good outdoors shop (if there is one left), a spare washing machine, more hifi gear,

Real double glazing

plus family and friends
Old Mar 6th 2013, 6:03 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
...plus family and friends
or one of those transporter thingies, like they have on Star Trek
bet you can make one from number 8 wire.....?
Old Mar 6th 2013, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

We were driving past this house the other day and I shouted out to my other half cause I couldn't believe it. It was a double storey made of solid brick. Haven't seen that here for a long, long time.