Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you'd taken with you to NZ?

What do you wish you'd taken with you to NZ?

Old Mar 30th 2016, 7:59 am
Just Joined

RAGARY is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb What do you wish you'd taken with you to NZ?

Hi all, new to this so please bear with me!
Hoping to move to Wellington soon so before I make the big move from the UK, thought I'd ask you expats what you wish you'd done before you left or taken with you to NZ?
Old Mar 30th 2016, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wish you'd taken with you to NZ?

The usual answer seems to be "more money!'
Old Mar 30th 2016, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

My furniture and my car
Old Mar 30th 2016, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RAGARY View Post
Hi all, new to this so please bear with me!
Hoping to move to Wellington soon so before I make the big move from the UK, thought I'd ask you expats what you wish you'd done before you left or taken with you to NZ?
I have no regrets with respect to my two international moves (Bermuda and Australia). I did what I thought was important and brought everything with me.

So the things I thought were important included visiting people and a couple of small UK mini breaks. And other than having a good spring clean and sort out, I brought everything I owned.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Baz036 is an unknown quantity at this point

Once we arrived and had to go and replace the 'tired' bits and bobs we thought were past it we realized we should have brought it all - some regular things can be expensive and not as good quality.

My advice is bring as much as you can and sort it out once here - for example stock up things such as much good quality bedding/linen/towels etc. Went to buy a full sheet set for out super king bed recently and anything of quality was around $500 where similar from somewhere like John Lewis would have been the equivalent of $150 to 200.

Last edited by Baz036; Mar 30th 2016 at 9:08 am.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

A caravan, in fact a whole fleet of caravans.

A caravan that would cost you peanuts back home go for $20k+ here.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

We bought as much as we could in the container. As previous post, bedding including UK duvets as NZ are different sizes. John Lewis and Debenhams will post to NZ.

What would I bring if I did the move again ..... TCP, toiletries, paint and my Mum.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baz036 View Post
buy a full sheet set for out super king bed recently and anything of quality was around $500

I'm almost too scared to ask what you consider a full sheet set. Even luxury, Egyptian cotton sheets from John Lewis to fit a Super Kingsize are only around $60 each.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 8:21 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Take furniture - coffee table, bedside tables, dining table, entertainment unit, chests of draws, display cabinets etc. When it comes to NZ one of three things will happen with furniture:

1. You'll cry at how much it is and buy it anyway if you can afford it. Even the basics cost hundreds and anything up from that will run into high hundreds/ early thousands if lucky.

2. Buy something cheap and very sh1t to the point it looks awful and won't fit together properly.

3. Buy second hand from car boot sales/garage sale and do it up yourself which will involve buying or borrowing tools and having the skills to do so.

So, yes bring the lot!
Old Mar 30th 2016, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Baz036 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/konfus/n065.gif

I'm almost too scared to ask what you consider a full sheet set. Even luxury, Egyptian cotton sheets from John Lewis to fit a Super Kingsize are only around $60 each.

Yep - same quality but four or five times the price. Hence when we go back in June to see the family travelling out with empty suitcases but will make sure they aren't on the way back
Old Mar 30th 2016, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigdog View Post

What would I bring if I did the move again ..... TCP, toiletries, paint and my Mum.
Are you allowed to bring paint?
Old Mar 31st 2016, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I have taken to stocking up on the best quality egyptian cotton towels and homeware stuff when M&S has one of their regular 20% off sales - they ship for free over $50 and as long as you keep the order around $100 you won't get stung for import taxes / GST (yet)

There's nothing even remotely comparable here and therefore I can justify buying the best that M&S has to offer because I would pay at least the same for dubious quality things from Briscoes and Farmers and they don't have anything like as much choice.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 7:26 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Bo - they don't ship from the UK site anymore you have to use the NZ one, just in case you didn't know

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles View Post
I have taken to stocking up on the best quality egyptian cotton towels and homeware stuff when M&S has one of their regular 20% off sales - they ship for free over $50 and as long as you keep the order around $100 you won't get stung for import taxes / GST (yet)

There's nothing even remotely comparable here and therefore I can justify buying the best that M&S has to offer because I would pay at least the same for dubious quality things from Briscoes and Farmers and they don't have anything like as much choice.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan View Post
Bo - they don't ship from the UK site anymore you have to use the NZ one, just in case you didn't know
Yeah I have used the new one, no problems and still get the same offers.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baz036 View Post
same quality but four or five times the price. Hence when we go back in June to see the family travelling out with empty suitcases but will make sure they aren't on the way back
I'd be doing the same. I'd intended to buy a whole load of new bedding anyway but will buy even more than planned now. Thanks for posting the warning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.