British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What do you wish you'd shipped over.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-do-you-wish-youd-shipped-over-812742/)

Northern Henry Oct 21st 2013 10:17 am

What do you wish you'd shipped over..

Apart from the obvious answers of "A bucket load of cash":D

Starting to plan out what would be worth renewing or purchasing before a move over to NZ instead of getting over and cursing a lack of forward planning..

Are there any stand-out items that will be substantially more expensive/ hard to source/ on that "damn wish we'd got X before we left"..?
e.g
Kitchen appliances?
TV's
clothes?
etc

Thanks..

NH

kiwigeordie Oct 21st 2013 12:43 pm

Re: What do you wish you'd shipped over..

Decent power tools.
For example, you can pick up a Makita 18V Li-ion cordless drill with 2 batteries in the UK for around GBP130.00 (approx. NZ$300.00). Price here, NZ$480.00. This is pretty much reflected in pricing for all decent power tools (you can get Chinese cheapies if you don't mind regular replacement).
Even if you're not a woodworker or DIY handyman I'd make sure I had a decent drill, power saw etc. as NZ homes generally need a lot more attention due to their construction.
Pete

Persephone Oct 21st 2013 4:05 pm

Bookshelves
Upright vacuum cleaners-very expensive in NZ compared to cylinder types [which I hate!]
Good walking boots since I have small feet:sneaky: Ordering online is possible of course
Cheap reasonable furniture

MrsFychan Oct 21st 2013 6:30 pm

My Henry, they just don't know how to make vacuum cleaners here. serves me right for being to lazy to clean him properly.

Sparkleydiva Oct 21st 2013 6:34 pm

Agree with all the above - especially the vacuum cleaners - so expensive!

Good furniture is very expensive and the lack of choice is always a drag. Colour choices are limited too - you can generally get 'the colours of NZ'!

Clothes - depends on what you like but choice is very limited here and what there is is either very expensive or just rubbish - but you can get a lot online now - much better than when we arrived in 2008. Or you can nip over to Aussie like I do each year for shoe shopping :)

britsinnz Oct 21st 2013 9:25 pm

Definitely upright vacuum cleaners, I'd pop into Tesco and buy 3 or 4. Also stuff from Ikea, there are none in NZ, and I'd have bought massive quantities of interdental brushes from Wilko. They are ridiculously expensive here and only a couple of pounds from Wilko. When they do BOGOF they're even better value. Also M and S T shirts, you just can't beat the quality.

Water Lily Oct 21st 2013 9:57 pm

Agree with the above - kitchen appliances, a lot more expensive and fewer options to choose from here. If there's anything you're very attached to, or are considering buying at some point, get it over there.

Electronics are also generally quite a bit dearer here too. I purchased an Epson Photo Scanner last year and decided to take the risk and get it shipped from the US. I saved 50% on the price even after I included shipping costs. Luckily I didn't get stung by customs, but even if I had been, I would've still saved about $300.

Outdoor gear and general clothes - also expensive.

As for larger items - exercise equipment is a rip off. If you have anything like a treadmill or rowing machine... definitely get it in that container!

5 years on, I still can't get over the price some people ask for certain second hand items that in the UK would be headed for the tip :ohmy:

Tom1983 Oct 21st 2013 10:03 pm

My comfortable sofas
The bed
My television

Infact I wish I bought everything that was in the house over after seeing the prices of stuff.

The day a Tesco or an Ikea etc come to New Zealand the better!

MrsFychan Oct 21st 2013 10:12 pm

Tesco's deliver clothes to NZ and very good service it is to

Stormer999 Oct 21st 2013 10:21 pm

A wallpaper pasting table....I am a man of simple taste but it is an object that brings blank looks in decorating shops SI. :(

Catchafire Oct 21st 2013 10:27 pm

My local Indian restaurant.....I could kill for a decent curry.

Drool.

Sparkleydiva Oct 21st 2013 10:30 pm

Well I didn't realise Tesco shipped clothes here - don't tell the OH though ;)

And agree with a decent curry too - just nowhere near as good :(

kitti Oct 22nd 2013 12:02 am

lol at a good curry! Poppadoms. Have you seen the price of them in Countdown? And you still have to cook them!

I'd have brought half the contents of Ikea. And based on today's shopping trip, a ton of Atora Suet. :/

kingacat Oct 22nd 2013 6:20 am

I wish I had bought more books with me as they are so expensive here.
Marks and spencers do free delivery regularly. At the start of the winter I bought 4 thermal tops for £12 with free delivery!

Northern Henry Oct 22nd 2013 7:44 am

:unsure: Makes interesting reading...thanks:

So far...
Stock up on new clothes/ underwear etc,
a major trip to Ikea,
plus those bits of other furniture we've ben contemplating about..
Buy those "might use in the future" power tools
Renew waterproofs/ outdoor clothing

Apple products - computer stuff?
hifi - renew minisystem?
Do NZ use DAB?

NH