Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you'd shipped over..

What do you wish you'd shipped over..

Old Oct 22nd 2013, 8:14 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wish you'd shipped over..

DAB not sure if its the whole of NZ but we can't get it where we are.

Computer stuff is a bit of a debate, I consider it to be on a par with UK but other feel that it is more expensive. Just need to be aware that if you buy new and ship over if it goes wrong its going to be expensive to get it repaired.
I barter on big buy items always have and will continue to do so.

Make sure if you do buy new and ship over if customs believes the items are new they may charge you import tax
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
DAB not sure if its the whole of NZ but we can't get it where we are.
Just a thought as seems to becoming standard on a lot of kit now..

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
make sure if you do buy new and ship over if customs believes the items are new they may charge you import tax
Suppose same applies for ikea type stuff, will need to be "de-packaged" and then "re-packaged"?
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

kiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kingacat;10955432]I wish I had bought more books with me as they are so expensive here.

Take a look at the Book Depository. We get most of our books from there at about half to two-thirds the price in NZ stores including home delivery.
Pete
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

thepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nice

My wardrobe - the inbuilt ones here are not much cop. The spare bedroom furniture (lost some bed fixings in the move and can't get replacements - would have been fine had I packed the spare bed). Decent chinese food, although my Gok Wan cook book has a decent sweet and sour so I don't have to endure boingy pork. I packed my curtains (so pleased) and snuck in some Dulux paint (so expensive here).
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
A wallpaper pasting table....I am a man of simple taste but it is an object that brings blank looks in decorating shops SI.
You can afford to buy wallpaper in NZ?
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 12:32 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I'd brought my dyson with me. I have a fight with my crap NZ vacuum cleaner every morning.

Also more girly stuff. I got rid of loads of nail varnishes, handbags, shoes etc. Don't ask me why.... Must have had one too many when I packed

Oh yes and that bucket load of cash that was mentioned in the first post.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Evolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Your front loader washing machine, they are mostly top loaders. All clothing and footwear. It is either very cheap and cheerful or expensive, very little in between. Infact I would say hold onto most things as it certainly isnt such a throw away society and most new is expensive in relation to the pay. It is right what another has written, you just would not believe what rubbish they will sell particularly on trade me (their equivalent of e-bay) A friend of mine even sold her 5 year olds underwear!! Feel free to ask me anything, we did 8 years over there. Good luck with your move
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 8:43 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought loads of shoes and clothes and haven't worn any of them.....pair of shorts and jandals I bought here!
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 8:46 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
You can afford to buy wallpaper in NZ?
Can't stand painting The paper may be more expensive but the quality of straight edge is excellent, not the wavy edge I had to put up with. Just papered the kitchen ceiling with Resene lining paper and the seams are edge to edge.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Stock up on toiletries and vitamins and fill a box in the container, you know those fantastic "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" deals you get in Boots? You don't get them here
Old Oct 28th 2013, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Evolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably best not to rush out and buy heaps of clothes. (t- shirts - yes) Although NZ still has their seasons it is quite different to here. They tend to layer a lot to suit climate as even in winter some days you could be in a t-shirt/light long sleeve top by lunch time.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

wendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nice

We arrived two months ago thinking it was winter and have been living in t shirts and hoodies as we "thought it was winter". Definitely for casuals its cut offs and jandals, but very smart for business. Our container arrives next week, we bought our house here three weeks ago, what we need to sell as we will not need them are: heaps of curtains, all our old light fittings, dishwasher and fridge as our house has all these, it is standard for drapes, blinds, cookers, dishwashers, tv ariel/sat dish to be par of the chattels when you buy, to the extent they are listed in your sale and purchase agreement. We have tv's in the container but don't think the in built decoder for free view will work here, so will need to buy a decoder, a sky multi-view is an extra $25 per so will buy sky hd for main tv which gives freeview, but will have to get a decoder for second tv, so maybe it would have been more cost effective to buy televisions here. Broadband is expensive and i am hoping our modem will work here otherwise we will have to buy one($100+) , or go with telecom who give it for free with a 12 month contract. We are buying a bbq here, much cheaper than the uk, and buying a little lawnmower for our little lawn, can get a petrol one for $200 in Bunnings.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

wendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nice

Oh, and don't get sick! I got really bad flu that developed into a sinus infection, i wax stupid enough to not see a doctor early enough and had emergency consultation on sunday$90 then meds $60, get registered but still $37 a consultation then extra for meds! However, i did get well a lot faster here and the whole experience much nicer!
Old Oct 29th 2013, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Anything you like from IKEA.
Anything you might want to have from a DIY store - buy two of everything, plus replacement parts - like sanding pads, drill bits etc.
Wallpaper (don't suppose you can bring pots of paint, but be prepared to die at the cost of un-tinted paint here)
Those coffee pod things from nespresso.
Most electronics, and anything gaming - inc games
Kitchen appliances - esp higher-end things and most 'brands' - for example Bridgewater Pottery or Le Creuset pans.
Things with a mediterranean flavour - hand painted pottery or rugs such as kilims for example. V. hard to find and heavily marked-up prices.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute

My family

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.