Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you'd brought with you?

What do you wish you'd brought with you?

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:32 pm
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What do you wish you'd brought with you?

Originally Posted by gags
Outside furniture,wooden tables, chairs, wooden swing seat, metal table chairs. Outside ornaments, not the concrete type? We thought we were off in 2008 and cleaned THE WHOLE LOT. Repainted, sanded, washed, disinfected but then it all fell through. Not sure we can go through all that again!! What do you all think? Are these things resonably priced out there or should we take them?
I know reasonably priced is relative but it would be great to have an idea as I do love being outside and in nz I intend to do stacks of it. Bit of a home lover me.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

All the beautiful sea shells we collected and bought throughout our visits to the Caribbean, Mediterranean and other holiday locations. [6 polished and treated Paua Shells from previous visits to NZ]
All the rock samples and fossil collection made by my father and added to by myself [quite irreplaceable]
My grandmother's 'wicker/bamboo rocking chair'.

Totally pi$$es me off when I see the crap [ imported from Asia] for sale in shops, made of wicker/bamboo and the very same shells imported from wherever!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:00 pm
DGH
Danni

DGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jo_Paul87
Well, we've been advised by the packing company not to bother packing my lovely Miele vacuum cleaner - even though I said I'd obviously take out the dirty bag and air filters. Any comments?
Yep definitely bring it. We're bringing our Dyson. Was a pain in the ass to clean the bloomin thing so it would get through MAF inspection but glad we did.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:03 pm
DGH
Danni

DGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really nice

Also, if you like drinking tea, bring loads of your favourite tea bags. Even 2 Kiwi tea bags in a mug doesn't seem to hit the spot. We found some Yorkshire tea bags in New World and got really excited! Not cheap though so pack a load if you can. (If MAF allow you to pack tea bags?!).
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:12 pm
DGH
Danni

Originally Posted by Lee Lee
OK, good info thanks. I'll have a look at the bookshelves in ikea next time i go - thats where i get my coathangers!

We didn't bother shipping our whitegoods, and we're glad we didn't. The house we're renting came with washing machine and dishwasher (many do), and we bid for a fridge freezer on trade me when we arrived. It's a fab one, and we got it really cheap. There are loads on there.
One thing we're finding it difficult to get is some furniture in light coloured wood. New Zealand wood (e.g. Rimu) seems to be all pretty dark and orangey. We're looking for 2 bed frames at the moment and the only place we can find some we really like is 'Freedom furniture' which is extremely expensive. Bring some Ikea furniture if you can - you can always sell it on Trade me if you find you don't need it when you get here.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:45 am
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DGH
Also, if you like drinking tea, bring loads of your favourite tea bags. Even 2 Kiwi tea bags in a mug doesn't seem to hit the spot. We found some Yorkshire tea bags in New World and got really excited! Not cheap though so pack a load if you can. (If MAF allow you to pack tea bags?!).
Not sure that you can bring T bags. Is that not under food? If you can I will def bring loads.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DGH
wonder... why do Brits drink/need very strong cuppa?

am drinking tea now.. Does this look too weak and yucky for ya?
I drink weak tea.. unlike most Brits. anyway I don't often drink tea hence I can't really tell... What are the major differences between Yorkshire tea, Scottish Breakfast tea VS Dilmah or any Kiwi tea bags...

I find Dilmah tea bag too horrible, so I've been using loose leaf.. its weak but delicate flavour. its ok. well I don't see why I need to go for Yorkshire... Yorkshire Gold is a good stuff.. but regular Yorkshire tea (and Tetley, PG Tips etc..) - personally I do not like it.
Attached Thumbnails What do you wish you'd brought with you?-tea-1.jpg   What do you wish you'd brought with you?-tea.jpg  

Last edited by crap coffee; Feb 4th 2010 at 10:52 am.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Bring lots of clothes hangers - they don't come free here when you buy clothes!
thank you, thank you, thank you!

I've been getting it in the neck from MOH for bringing over 1000!
No I didn't count them.
Well they filled a 54 cu.ft box- which is still half full as we haven't unpacked 2 trunks and 6 cases!
Old Feb 5th 2010, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennifer45

No I didn't count them.
Well they filled a 54 cu.ft box- which is still half full as we haven't unpacked 2 trunks and 6 cases!
its a good idea bring nice hangers but they are bulky, aren't they?

I'd like to bring some too whenever I go to overseas but its always impossible to bring with me cos it's stupidly bulky,.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 9:47 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gags
Not sure that you can bring T bags. Is that not under food? If you can I will def bring loads.
We had tea bags packed in suitcase......declared on customs form, no problems, customs (maf guy) just checked they didn't contain any citrus flavouring.
B x
Old Feb 7th 2010, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

There's quite a few foods you can bring.When I had a trip home a couple of years back on my own, I came back with some Gravy Granules as we missed them so much. Then when nearing Auckland Airport, when you are given your landing cards, and I read through what you can and cannot bring through Customs and the penalties, I really started to worry. I thought of ways of hiding them. Perhaps casually forgetting that I had them.. As it was I went up to the first Customs officer I saw and confessed my sin. I was told that they don't have to be declared. I'd never be able to carry anything stronger than gravy through Customs would I?!

I also brought back packets of Blue Riband, Penguins and the like (can't get them here, unless you pay a fortune at British food specialty shops) but my kids ate them all in a couple of days.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 5:42 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DGH
Hi I will not pay that price in New World!! but in New World you can also get PG Tips for amount $3.95.
I did bring some in the container and never got rid of what was left like tin stuff or unopen box of spices placed them all in to a plastic container and used my old Saninsbury shopping boxes!! the shipping compony just marked it down as Kitchen items NOT one was asked to be inspected by MAF. Only items they wanted was to look at the XMAS Tree.
A s other have said pack to container to the top
Old Feb 7th 2010, 5:51 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Bring an extra 20k
Old Feb 7th 2010, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

beautiful dresses fit nicely.

Last edited by crap coffee; Feb 7th 2010 at 9:27 am.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jennifer45

No I didn't count them.
WOW! and I thought I had a lot of hangers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.