Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you'd brought with you?

What do you wish you'd brought with you?

Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of
Default Re: What do you wish you'd brought with you?

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Bring lots of clothes hangers - they don't come free here when you buy clothes!
Oh, I'm so glad you wrote that. My mum and hubby probably thought I was a bit mad when I said I wanted to get hangers to take. I like my hangers to match so i've been stocking up on hangers to bring with me when we finally get to NZ so that I shouldn't run out. I feel much happier now - think I'll go get some more tomorrow

...Must remember not to get carried away because knowing me I'll end up with boxes and boxes of them
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:54 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sparkywater
Hi! everyone.
What about the kitchen white goods. I was considering buying new before we come unpacking them and using once then re packing(was told this would be needed to avoid paying tax!!!???). Do you think this would be worth it? It would be a bit hit and miss with the size of the new property etc.
You're right in that new goods still in original packing can be subject to GST upon arrival. We managed to bring all our old whitegoods but have doubled up on a few. It seems in NZ most houses come with the dishwasher(s) so we've ended up with 2 spares (long story.) We also bought the fridge with the house as it fitted with the stainless steel dishwasher and our fridge was white. This is ok though as it gives you the mandatory "drinks" fridge in the garage for the beer and wine.

You will possibly find it expensive for repairs and parts if you have European washing machines/tumble dryers etc. I don't know yet as so far ours are still working!

But I'm in the bring everything camp. We ended up with 7 surplus wardrobes as most newer houses have them built in. We made a fortune on TradeMe selling them on!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Bring anything and everything u can fit in, NOTHING is cheap over here we paid 800 bux for a dyson and that was with a good discount

Neil
I love my dyson and I'd been wondering how much they would cost in NZ. Think I might see about buying a new one over here and bringing it with us.

Last edited by Lee Lee; Jan 31st 2010 at 8:57 am.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 9:00 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lee Lee
I love my dyson and I'd been wondering how much they would cost in NZ. Think I might see about buying a new one over here and bringing it with us.
Some info here, including importing cars.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Some info here, including importing cars.
Thanks Am Loolah

facts and figures confuse my little brain but its great info to have
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lee Lee
Have a look at this website - might help you decide. http://www.priceme.co.nz/Dyson-DC19Y...882184077.aspx
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:36 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

With you on the coat hangers-I had loads which I took to the charity shop and then had to buy them when I got here [ and don't buy the Warehouse cheapest , they don't last long, surprise, surprise]

I really wish I'd brought my Dyson instead of giving it to my Dad. I could have done a better job of hoovering using a straw and my own lungs than with Mr Sue's old vacuum We have just had to buy a new one, mainly so we could clean the house for open homes.
One thing to be aware of is that they don't seem that keen on uprights here and tend to have very little choice available; we ended up having to get a cylinder type-despite my insistence we get an upright-but I couldn't justify spending so much more for one

So bring one with you if you prefer an upright!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 9:40 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly forgot, bring bookshelves, wish I'd visited Ikea before I came. There isn't much choice here at all. You can get dirt cheap ones that fall over or bend if you place a small paperback on them or hefty pine country cottage types that are expensive and aren't really to my taste.
Hoping someone will come along and tell me where to buy some that are not in either of the two categories mentioned above
Old Feb 1st 2010, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

nice sophisticated furniture.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Bring a plate or few - every invite you have someone will say 'bring a plate' - ohh with something on of course !!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bolton1
Bring a plate or few - every invite you have someone will say 'bring a plate' - ohh with something on of course !!

Incidentally, You can buy most of English Crockery here - Portmeirion, Royal Doulton, Denby etc. I bought most of them here anyway - except Cornish Blue lot - had to order them from the UK two years ago - ended up bankrupt tho..... $$NZ-> ££ Sterling can be cheaper in Britain tho.
Attached Thumbnails What do you wish you'd brought with you?-cornish-9.jpg  

Last edited by crap coffee; Feb 1st 2010 at 7:24 am.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: What do you wish you'd brought with you?

Originally Posted by george toni
if you read alot of the posts on here I'd say alot of them wish they had brought a return ticket back!

george
LOl we bought a return ticket when we came over. Couldn' transfer it so we had to re buy a ticket home after 2 years costly mistake.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Persephone
Nearly forgot, bring bookshelves, wish I'd visited Ikea before I came. There isn't much choice here at all. You can get dirt cheap ones that fall over or bend if you place a small paperback on them or hefty pine country cottage types that are expensive and aren't really to my taste.
Hoping someone will come along and tell me where to buy some that are not in either of the two categories mentioned above
OK, good info thanks. I'll have a look at the bookshelves in ikea next time i go - thats where i get my coathangers!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sarahw
Have a look at this website - might help you decide. http://www.priceme.co.nz/Dyson-DC19Y...882184077.aspx
Thanks for the link
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:02 pm
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

Outside furniture,wooden tables, chairs, wooden swing seat, metal table chairs. Outside ornaments, not the concrete type? We thought we were off in 2008 and cleaned THE WHOLE LOT. Repainted, sanded, washed, disinfected but then it all fell through. Not sure we can go through all that again!! What do you all think? Are these things resonably priced out there or should we take them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.