Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you'd brought with you?

What do you wish you'd brought with you?

Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Jo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really nice
Default What do you wish you'd brought with you?

Well, we've been advised by the packing company not to bother packing my lovely Miele vacuum cleaner - even though I said I'd obviously take out the dirty bag and air filters. Any comments?
Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wish you'd brought with you?

Originally Posted by Jo_Paul87
Well, we've been advised by the packing company not to bother packing my lovely Miele vacuum cleaner - even though I said I'd obviously take out the dirty bag and air filters. Any comments?
BRING IT!
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Bring anything and everything u can fit in, NOTHING is cheap over here we paid 800 bux for a dyson and that was with a good discount

Neil
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Flatcap is an unknown quantity at this point

If I had a second chance I'd have definately have brought my car.

If you've had yours over a year and it's decent - BRING IT!!!

Made a BIG, BIG mistake not bringing mine - got a terrible second hand price on it before we left (3 year old A6 estate). To replace it over here would be around $30k

We were told we couldn't bring our fridge, telly, outdoor furniture, tv's, washer & dryer, but since arriving and listening to others on the forum - they've brought everything without any problems .... am so mad
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Bring as much as you can and change the plugs! Throw away bags and filters that you have used and pack new ones in with the vacuum cleaner.

Phyl x
Old Jan 31st 2010, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

I gave away heaps of books .....wish I'd kept more of them.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flatcap
If I had a second chance I'd have definately have brought my car.

If you've had yours over a year and it's decent - BRING IT!!!

Made a BIG, BIG mistake not bringing mine - got a terrible second hand price on it before we left (3 year old A6 estate). To replace it over here would be around $30k
That's my biggest regret too. I had my dream car, had saved up years to buy it (a vauxhall convertible) and I loved it. It was only about 3 years old when we came over, but I'd heard horror stories about how difficult it was to bring cars over and get them cleaned to the standards required by MAF. So I decided to sell.....and was ripped off big time when I came to sell it, only got around 50% of it's actual value, but the buyer realised that I was stuck between a rock and a hard place.....and took advantage :curse:

I've since found out how much cars cost over here....how many Holden dealers & repair places there are (ie Vauxhalls under another name)......and that the MAF experience isn't that scary after all in the grand scheme of things. Big mistake in letting it go

There's a few other things that with hindsight I would have brought over, mainly books & work documents that I decided to bin in order to save space, and I sort of wish I'd just gone for a bigger container and bunged the lot in. If I'd brought the car I'd have needed the bigger container anyway...but at the time it was all about stuffing all our worldly possessions into a 20' (I think) container to keep the costs down....and some things just had to give.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn,t stress to much about bringing the car unless u are really attatched to it or it,s a really nice expensive one there are plenty over here to choose from

neil
Old Jan 31st 2010, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I wouldn,t stress to much about bringing the car unless u are really attatched to it or it,s a really nice expensive one there are plenty over here to choose from

neil
You're right of course...I just answered from my perspective because that is a personal regret. But I wouldn't necessarily recommend everyone looks at bringing their cars, since it's perfectly possible to get decent cars over here. In fact I'd caution against bringing European models...parts & servicing can, apparently, be difficult & costly over here.
That said I was put off because I believed it was too difficult to bring them over....and I've since learnt that it's not actually that hard.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

we brought a motorbike and i just took it to VTNZ and they did the lot compliance, rego, number plate on the spot from memory it was about 400 bux, we had an illigal exhaust on it and they really went out of there way to help us get it on the road before crimbo

Neil
Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Flatcap is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tomsk
You're right of course...I just answered from my perspective because that is a personal regret. But I wouldn't necessarily recommend everyone looks at bringing their cars, since it's perfectly possible to get decent cars over here. In fact I'd caution against bringing European models...parts & servicing can, apparently, be difficult & costly over here.
That said I was put off because I believed it was too difficult to bring them over....and I've since learnt that it's not actually that hard.
I totally agree with you Cate. If you have a fairly decent car, AND it's paid for, there's no point getting buttons for it in the UK, as the same car over here will cost four times as much.
If you want to buy an older car, then there is plenty of choice, and I agree, that they're not too badly priced. New/prestige cars are a totally different story tho.

(apparantly Saab's are notoriously expensive to service/repair)

It would be great if someone who's brought a car over could start a thread about the experience :
Is the cleaning/MAAF inspection as tough as we hear about?
(the one we had at the house to inspect our container contents was a breeze).
Which cars have owners regretted bringing due to the cost of maintenance /repair?

I wish I'd had more info - despite all the research i did before selling.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Bring lots of clothes hangers - they don't come free here when you buy clothes!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:04 am

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

if you read alot of the posts on here I'd say alot of them wish they had brought a return ticket back!

george
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Flatcap
I totally agree with you Cate. If you have a fairly decent car, AND it's paid for, there's no point getting buttons for it in the UK, as the same car over here will cost four times as much.
If you want to buy an older car, then there is plenty of choice, and I agree, that they're not too badly priced. New/prestige cars are a totally different story tho.

(apparantly Saab's are notoriously expensive to service/repair)

It would be great if someone who's brought a car over could start a thread about the experience :
Is the cleaning/MAAF inspection as tough as we hear about?
(the one we had at the house to inspect our container contents was a breeze).
Which cars have owners regretted bringing due to the cost of maintenance /repair?

I wish I'd had more info - despite all the research i did before selling.
We have brought ours over!!! Despite everyone telling us not to - it arrived last week and we should get it back this week. When we have it back again, will give update on the costs/ experience. One thing though - we already have the stuff we packed in the car - especiallly glad as our container is a wee while off!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

sparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nice

Hi! everyone.
What about the kitchen white goods. I was considering buying new before we come unpacking them and using once then re packing(was told this would be needed to avoid paying tax!!!???). Do you think this would be worth it? It would be a bit hit and miss with the size of the new property etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.