Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you'd bought BEFORE moving to NZ?

What do you wish you'd bought BEFORE moving to NZ?

Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:19 am
Just Joined

liz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really nice
Default What do you wish you'd bought BEFORE moving to NZ?

Hi all,

Our stuff is getting packed up the end of January and I'm starting to make a list of the things I really want to buy here in the UK before heading over to NZ. Top of my list is a Dyson vacuum cleaner, as it looks like they are stupidly expensive over in NZ (some close to $1,000!!). I am also taking about 2 years' supply of my Benefit foundation make-up, as I pay £17 for it here via an eBay shop, don't even know if it's available in NZ, but in Sydney department stores, it is AUD$65!!!

Is there anything you wish you had known about that is either unavailable or outrageously expensive in NZ that you now wished you'd bought before leaving the UK??
Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:28 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wish you'd bought BEFORE moving to NZ?

I'd be careful about payingout for to many expensive things as my courier company say we could get charged duty on things less than 12mths old. not sure obviously how strict they are.

hopefully someone will come along who has done it and clarify it
Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:31 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

A toy boy ...
Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:57 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
A toy boy ...
got myself one of them and I'm not sharing
Old Nov 18th 2011, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Use the hoover then it won't look new

Coustoms don't crawl all over your container. They look at the list, probably to make sure you're not a dealer in something, see it's emigration, and pass it to MAF to look for dirty things. Your Hoover however will be fine - wipe it down, make it look used-but-clean, no problem.

Jan
Old Nov 18th 2011, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Si19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud of

Check out the meile hoovers, if I had my time again I would go for their cat and dog, what you spend on bags shouldn't outwieigh cost of dyson filters dependng how often you change... they are so much lighter though and better rated.

In terms of new don't get excited and buy more than 1 as that will get customs looking.... they did look at our hoover though to check it was clean....

Will try and think of what else we are suffering on later...
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:23 pm
UK to NZ to OZ

sarahinnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
we moved here 6yrs ago and within the first 6 few months we wished we had bought EVERYTHING with us. Electrical stuff is expensive especially if you want the brand quality your used to in the UK. I recommend if its cleanable and you can ship it, then bring it with you especially with the exchange rate at the moment. It cost us so much more than we thought to set up a house again. We had friends who moved out 3 months after us and they had no trouble bringing everything out from the garden lawn mower (as long as its cleaned first) to their flat screen TV.

Hope this helps
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

yorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the rough

we bought loads of new stuff with us, just take it out of the boxes / packaging. We bought a new dyson, kettle, toaster, microwave and loads of bedding. Wish I'd bought more bedding though, you cant beat M and S or Next, they wash great unlike a lot of stuff you buy here !!!

Make up is rediculously expensive here, so stock up on mascara, lippy and your favourite facecream too.

Dont buy TVs - they are so cheap here.

Good luck with the move. We love our new life here :sunglasses:
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:28 am
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We moved out here 6 months ago, and we are so pleased we bought out books, loads of them!!! We also bought out a shed load of shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, not to mention perfumes/aftershave.

I also stocked up on birthday cards and wrapping paper.

for your move
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:55 am
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by liz_r
Hi all,

Our stuff is getting packed up the end of January and I'm starting to make a list of the things I really want to buy here in the UK before heading over to NZ. Top of my list is a Dyson vacuum cleaner, as it looks like they are stupidly expensive over in NZ (some close to $1,000!!). I am also taking about 2 years' supply of my Benefit foundation make-up, as I pay £17 for it here via an eBay shop, don't even know if it's available in NZ, but in Sydney department stores, it is AUD$65!!!

Is there anything you wish you had known about that is either unavailable or outrageously expensive in NZ that you now wished you'd bought before leaving the UK??

TOOLS TOOLS TOOLS! cheap tools here fall apart, poor quality. you end up paying over the odds for good tools which are cheap in UK THEY HAVE TO BE CLEAN!

BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS if you like reading - books. although you can get most things via amazon.com for kindles.

GOOD QUALITY CLOTHES tend to be expensive here. the cheap stuff is made in china and poor quality and still much more expensive than cheap stuff in UK. (ie 5GBP shorts are $30NZD)
dont bother bringing woollen stuff - lots here!

GOOD SHOES oh yes, if you like good quality shoes, bring shoes.

if you like old stuff, you can get great old antique-ish furniture here at auction.
electrical and white goods are cheap here

have a look on the NZ shopping chain websites MITRE 10, FARMERS, WHITCOULLS, BUNNINGS, BODYSHOP etc

look at www.oilyrag.co.nz to see what people are finding expensive in NZ

Last edited by tweetweet; Nov 20th 2011 at 1:15 am.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

The South of France!
Old Nov 20th 2011, 2:17 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

A cold pint of Stella.....sigh.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 2:23 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are into vitamins or supplements - found them quite expensive and some are not readily available.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Batteries Batteries Batteries.

Another example of how we are well and truly ripped off.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:48 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

IKEA
7dayshop
Amazon
Screwfix
Currys
Clarks
Royal Worcester

wish I'd got my CD player, DVD player and old amp repaired.
should've brought all our tools including the "harder" stuff to clean up
more decent kitchen utensilts
kids shoes
football boots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.