Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you wish someone had told you?

What do you wish someone had told you?

Old Apr 29th 2014, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

Originally Posted by BEVS
Just keep some money in reserve if you find you don't like it here or it doesn't work out for whatever reason. I know that when you're starting out that isn't even on the horizon but believe me, I've read complete changes of heart many times around these BE boards.
Just on this, the best thing I did when I moved here was make sure I had this.

It gives me the same peace of mind that my folks did when shipping me off to Boarding School and telling me that if I didn't like it, they wouldn't keep me there.

Sure there were tough times at school, I think we all had that but not once did I want to leave and I spent 9 years there and would love to have a day back at school. Best days of you life and all that.

Knowing I have this as a final back up plan, really does give me the get up and go to soldier on when things aren't great. Because I soon realise that if it was all that bad I would cash in my chips and head home, because I can.

This might still happen in time, who knows, but I'd hate to be in a position where I'm unhappy and can't do anything about getting out. A vicious cycle ensues.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I made any mention of Bali being anywhere NZ in the first place - I know where it is and been there seen that and done anyway from the UK - my point is that if you don't / won't / can't manage that kind of travel from the UK then it's pointless dreaming that you will be able to achieve it from NZ, unless you win Lotto or are prepared to rough it and do low budget dormitory / backpacking stuff.

Originally Posted by Mrsbrightside7
I briefly browsed flights this afternoon from wellington to Bali and it was £439 for a return. That's cheaper than a flight would be from the uk to Bali, so not too bad.
I think perhaps you are missing the trick and presumably you checked prices on a UK based website / travel site?

If for example I look at Expedia (UK) the cheapest flight £478 was Welly to Denpasar via Melbourne with Air NZ/ Aussie Virgin leaving Welly on my random chosen day 19th July - with an 18.5 hour journey with 7 hour wait in Melbourne

Exact same flights on Expedia (NZ) $1,224.78 - go figure

I recently made enquiries at travel agents after seeing all these package deals being advertised in the papers and on TV for school holidays. They were advertising 7 nights in Fiji from $1,200 or something; I near fell on the floor laughing when I got the actual quote $3,599 per person for bed and breakfast.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Mrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Not that I made any mention of Bali being anywhere NZ in the first place - I know where it is and been there seen that and done anyway from the UK - my point is that if you don't / won't / can't manage that kind of travel from the UK then it's pointless dreaming that you will be able to achieve it from NZ, unless you win Lotto or are prepared to rough it and do low budget dormitory / backpacking stuff.

I think perhaps you are missing the trick and presumably you checked prices on a UK based website / travel site?

If for example I look at Expedia (UK) the cheapest flight £478 was Welly to Denpasar via Melbourne with Air NZ/ Aussie Virgin leaving Welly on my random chosen day 19th July - with an 18.5 hour journey with 7 hour wait in Melbourne

Exact same flights on Expedia (NZ) $1,224.78 - go figure

I recently made enquiries at travel agents after seeing all these package deals being advertised in the papers and on TV for school holidays. They were advertising 7 nights in Fiji from $1,200 or something; I near fell on the floor laughing when I got the actual quote $3,599 per person for bed and breakfast.
I see what you mean by the price difference from UK and NZ websites, this may be a really stupid question but...could I book for example the Bali flight from a uk website, using a uk account? And therefore get a cheaper flight
Old Apr 29th 2014, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Mrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond reputeMrsbrightside7 has a reputation beyond repute

Erm. Does your sister do this?

You tell me.
No because she hasn't got a UK account, she has probably never thought about using my account to do this either. I'm just thinking out loud as we are on the subject, I'm sure it could work? Book from a uk account, the tickets are usually issued via email these days?
Old Apr 29th 2014, 8:34 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I see what you mean by the price difference from UK and NZ websites, this may be a really stupid question but...could I book for example the Bali flight from a uk website, using a uk account? And therefore get a cheaper flight
if that was possible then everyone would be doing it and not complaining about the cost of getting out of the country.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
if that was possible then everyone would be doing it and not complaining about the cost of getting out of the country.
Can you please explain why it is not possible though? What are the reasons for not being able to do this?
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:18 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

because the site would ask you where you were booking from and you would have to lie so basically it would be fraud
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

because the site would ask you where you were booking from and you would have to lie so basically it would be fraud
But it would be booked by a friend/family member in the uk from a Uk account
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:44 am

well if you can get it done, legally, then please come back and let us all know so we could possibly take advantage also.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

well if you can get it done, legally, then please come back and let us all know so we could possibly take advantage also.
Of course I will
I'm going to make some enquiries and I will let you all know
Old Apr 29th 2014, 10:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Can you please explain why it is not possible though? What are the reasons for not being able to do this?
You explain how the ticketing works as it is you that have raised this option.

Please show and give links to how it is done.

Thanks

Sounds screwy and fraud to me. Call me old fashioned.

Of course I will
I'm going to make some enquiries and I will let you all know
No need . Your family will have done this already surely.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

You explain how the ticketing works as it is you that have raised this option.

Please show and give links to how it is done.

Thanks

Sounds screwy and fraud to me. Call me old fashioned.

No need . Your family will have done this already surely.

No my family haven't already done it otherwise I would not have asked the question. If it's fraud then of course it's a 'screwy' thing to do which is why I will do my own research and find out for myself, like phoning the UK booking sites and making enquiries.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 11:02 am
`

I shall ask ABTA & IATA & also perhaps show them this from you so they know what it is that I am asking.

However, this isn't likely to effect you is it . You'll be doing the NZ thing with your lad.

Camping over NZ Christmas and N Year. Sending him on lovely NZ kids camps.

As I said , you are young & with a young son . If you haven't the urge to travel then you'll be fine.

The rest of us who like to be able to travel offshore must find our own way and that way is not cheap at all.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

I shall ask ABTA & IATA & also perhaps show them this from you so they know what it is that I am asking.

However, this isn't likely to effect you is it . You'll be doing the NZ thing with your lad.

As I said , you are young & with a young son . If you haven't the urge to travel then you'll be fine.

The rest of us who like to be able to travel offshore must find our own way and that way is not cheap at all.
Of course I will be wanting to do all those things with my son and have a good explore of New Zealand but I would also like to still have the occasional holiday abroad if and when I can afford to do so, I am just thinking out loud and am wondering whether it is possible to do this cheaper via UK links. Please let me know what your findings are from ABTA. If it's not possible then it's not possible but I think it's definitely worth asking the question for sure
Old Apr 29th 2014, 11:44 am
`

Y'know. I have to say I have made several responses in one way or another & which I have deleted as being useless or of no gain to the board as a whole at all.

Let the OP go her own way.

I shall still investigate further as it is news to me.

However as Catcha would have said "I'm Out" .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.