Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you think of New Zealand Prisons?

What do you think of New Zealand Prisons?

Old Dec 10th 2006, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Mathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to all
Default What do you think of New Zealand Prisons?

With many overseas Prison Officers coming to New Zealand, I thought it fair to describe the reality of what you will find.

New Zealand is a wonderful country; their Prisons unfortunately are not.

Your experience or previous rank will count for nothing. Which is surprising given the complete lack of experience that could be earned from working for Corrections for many years? New Zealand prisoners by Western Standards are extremely tame and incidents are remarkably few. Thus you have to ask New Zealand Immigration “Why do you need skilled labour in your prisons when your Prison Department fails to recognise that experience? You could simply advertise for un-skilled labour and pay the same rate.”

Having arrived from overseas you will be sent to Wellington for training. This training is a complete waste of time, energy and money. Nobody fails, because when you do you are then given the answers. This philosophy spills over into all aspects of training including the NZQA which is an alleged measure of competence. In reality the NZQA is a time consuming process that prevents many staff from immediately accessing the higher pay scale. All the training, excepting cultural and C&R tuition proved irrelevant. Experienced staff know that the measure of competence is dependant on natural variables. Thus for example working with “Youth” or “Women” maybe easier than working with male “Lifers.” I may suffer an illness or another exterior factor that changes my competence. Thus my competence may decline or fall and cannot be logically measured at one specific point in time. The process is seriously flawed and praised remarkably by only those who administer the scheme. The fact that most staff are awarded several of the thirty required measures without doing anything except to copy the answers reflects the contempt this process deserves. To summarise, it’s like seeking a skilled ‘Doctor’ and sending him/her to medical school for the full sub-standard training.’ It’s a disappointing measure of Managerial incompetence as to why they did not send for previous records and references; from overseas Services such as the UK who bi-annually assess competence.

It’s fair to say that in many respects the Department of Corrections by UK standards could be described both as a national disgrace and a failing Prison Service. I estimate them to be about fifteen years behind the UK. The Service lacks auditable accountability at senior managerial levels and the prisons are almost feudal in characteristics. Over the past several months I have watched many of the overseas recruits put forward healthy alternative methods and better practises; nearly all have been listened to and then ignored, it’s quite remarkable. It’s equally astounding to note how many e-mails are also ignored reflecting again the severity of the unprofessionalism. Senior managers are seldom seen in the Prisons and there prevails a lack of ownership. The Annual appraisals for all staff are poorly administered and staff have almost a free reign; this is reflected through the survival of negative and dominate individuals in the work place alongside a minority of those who are incompetent. ‘Corrections’ is without doubt a racist and sexist organisation, references to race or sex are made daily in the workplace and would attract dismissal in overseas services. Although most prison officers are robust to such terminology it still remains unacceptable. In simple terms management are not effectively managing. Indeed there are many meetings and much discussion; unfortunately there is little productive action. When ideas are introduced, there is little in place to ensure continued compliance.

Prisoners are managed in many differing ways by staff; in the UK the main approach involved the the ultimate use of discipline, officers were in charge. Here I have found a system in the main that is centred on appeasement. Many of the prisons on the North Island are managed in this way; prisoners although still in custody are given most things they ask for, such as phone calls, letters and other concessions. Officers turn a blind eye to many things and I believe there may be a number of corrupt staff in the service. This would naturally occur given a disassociated and unaccountable management.

I previously mentioned Corrections was almost feudal in characteristics. I base this analogy on astute observation. Although still relatively a small service, Corrections has evolved from an even smaller service. These prisons were controlled by dominate local managers who have remained in their static positions for many years; thus promotion avenues are limited. As the Service develops in other ways there has clearly been little investment in the selection and development of management. This neglect is certainly the root-cause of many of the failings and a responsible factor for many incidents. Many staff describe Management as re-active rather than pro-active, my own perception is that they are neither; they are simply ignorant to their failings and inefficiencies.

Corrections does appear however to have a future, work is being done to address the managerial lack of accountability and to introduce auditable processes at senior levels. Many of the staff do an exceptional job and are exceptional people. The CEO and other very Senior Managers at Head Quarters are clearly addressing many of the shortfalls I have covered (Ref: Corrections Web-site; ‘The Mercer Group’).
Old Dec 10th 2006, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future
Default Re: What do you think of New Zealand Prisons?

Good report on your experience of the prison system in NZ. I have to say that in some parts their system from what you say is no different to the system in the UK. I refer to those who are incarcerated being appeased to keep them happy; ie given their phone credits, television and kettle, no loss of days etc. In general at adjudications it's often the "officers" who are left with egg on their faces with a faint look of a satisfying smirk from the perpetrator.

The mangement also in the UK often leave a lot to be desired in some areas of the service, particularly beyond PO grade. I can see what you are saying but in the distance the reflection is not too far from that of the UK except that in the UK there seems to be more money spent on salaries. As for annual appraisals - the ones who work very hard and give the service their full commitment with an excellent sickness record get the same or less score than the jobsworth colleague with the diabolical sick record who regulalrly plays on the golf course!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

I worked for nearly 18 yrs at Paremoremo--it is the nearest thing to "Only Fools and Horses" that you will find.

Walt Disney would have a field day!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tooanfrom
I worked for nearly 18 yrs at Paremoremo--it is the nearest thing to "Only Fools and Horses" that you will find.

I have no experience of the prison service in NZ or anywhere else, either personally or professionally, but..... that was really funny

An image can be worth more than a bookful of words - you plonker, Rodney!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 4:38 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooanfrom

the only thing I remember about Paremoremo is during the annual fun run is are any of my fellow runners more than a bit serious in running away from the prison.

You should write a book mate
Old Dec 11th 2006, 5:37 am
Just Joined

Mathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to allMathews is a name known to all

Today the Media covered a Report that was critical of the Department of Corrections for the avoidable death of a prisoner in Auckland. Legislation states that certain Prisoners are to be segregated from others. Remarkably this rule along with others was ignored throughout the country and resulted in a tragic death. Demands were made for the resignation of the Minister. Cellular vans are now being looked at? Naturally this was a preventable death and although sad to say there are many more suicides and violent incidents that are equally preventable. Corrections deserve condemnation; they met with the overseas recruits on differing forums and listened to their failings they should have taken action but did nothing. There is no point to a meeting that resolves or changes nothing. The influx of new staff with their new methods is being lost by those who are intransient to change. Remarkably it is not a union or a workforce that I refer too it is an ineffective middle-Management.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 8:49 am
Banned

Lenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mathews
Today the Media covered a Report that was critical of the Department of Corrections for the avoidable death of a prisoner in Auckland. Legislation states that certain Prisoners are to be segregated from others. Remarkably this rule along with others was ignored throughout the country and resulted in a tragic death. Demands were made for the resignation of the Minister. Cellular vans are now being looked at? Naturally this was a preventable death and although sad to say there are many more suicides and violent incidents that are equally preventable. Corrections deserve condemnation; they met with the overseas recruits on differing forums and listened to their failings they should have taken action but did nothing. There is no point to a meeting that resolves or changes nothing. The influx of new staff with their new methods is being lost by those who are intransient to change. Remarkably it is not a union or a workforce that I refer too it is an ineffective middle-Management.
So you have not been promoted yet then?
Old Dec 11th 2006, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

monkeyscrew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mathews
With many overseas Prison Officers coming to New Zealand, I thought it fair to describe the reality of what you will find.

New Zealand is a wonderful country; their Prisons unfortunately are not.

Your experience or previous rank will count for nothing. Which is surprising given the complete lack of experience that could be earned from working for Corrections for many years? New Zealand prisoners by Western Standards are extremely tame and incidents are remarkably few. Thus you have to ask New Zealand Immigration “Why do you need skilled labour in your prisons when your Prison Department fails to recognise that experience? You could simply advertise for un-skilled labour and pay the same rate.”

Having arrived from overseas you will be sent to Wellington for training. This training is a complete waste of time, energy and money. Nobody fails, because when you do you are then given the answers. This philosophy spills over into all aspects of training including the NZQA which is an alleged measure of competence. In reality the NZQA is a time consuming process that prevents many staff from immediately accessing the higher pay scale. All the training, excepting cultural and C&R tuition proved irrelevant. Experienced staff know that the measure of competence is dependant on natural variables. Thus for example working with “Youth” or “Women” maybe easier than working with male “Lifers.” I may suffer an illness or another exterior factor that changes my competence. Thus my competence may decline or fall and cannot be logically measured at one specific point in time. The process is seriously flawed and praised remarkably by only those who administer the scheme. The fact that most staff are awarded several of the thirty required measures without doing anything except to copy the answers reflects the contempt this process deserves. To summarise, it’s like seeking a skilled ‘Doctor’ and sending him/her to medical school for the full sub-standard training.’ It’s a disappointing measure of Managerial incompetence as to why they did not send for previous records and references; from overseas Services such as the UK who bi-annually assess competence.

It’s fair to say that in many respects the Department of Corrections by UK standards could be described both as a national disgrace and a failing Prison Service. I estimate them to be about fifteen years behind the UK. The Service lacks auditable accountability at senior managerial levels and the prisons are almost feudal in characteristics. Over the past several months I have watched many of the overseas recruits put forward healthy alternative methods and better practises; nearly all have been listened to and then ignored, it’s quite remarkable. It’s equally astounding to note how many e-mails are also ignored reflecting again the severity of the unprofessionalism. Senior managers are seldom seen in the Prisons and there prevails a lack of ownership. The Annual appraisals for all staff are poorly administered and staff have almost a free reign; this is reflected through the survival of negative and dominate individuals in the work place alongside a minority of those who are incompetent. ‘Corrections’ is without doubt a racist and sexist organisation, references to race or sex are made daily in the workplace and would attract dismissal in overseas services. Although most prison officers are robust to such terminology it still remains unacceptable. In simple terms management are not effectively managing. Indeed there are many meetings and much discussion; unfortunately there is little productive action. When ideas are introduced, there is little in place to ensure continued compliance.

Prisoners are managed in many differing ways by staff; in the UK the main approach involved the the ultimate use of discipline, officers were in charge. Here I have found a system in the main that is centred on appeasement. Many of the prisons on the North Island are managed in this way; prisoners although still in custody are given most things they ask for, such as phone calls, letters and other concessions. Officers turn a blind eye to many things and I believe there may be a number of corrupt staff in the service. This would naturally occur given a disassociated and unaccountable management.

I previously mentioned Corrections was almost feudal in characteristics. I base this analogy on astute observation. Although still relatively a small service, Corrections has evolved from an even smaller service. These prisons were controlled by dominate local managers who have remained in their static positions for many years; thus promotion avenues are limited. As the Service develops in other ways there has clearly been little investment in the selection and development of management. This neglect is certainly the root-cause of many of the failings and a responsible factor for many incidents. Many staff describe Management as re-active rather than pro-active, my own perception is that they are neither; they are simply ignorant to their failings and inefficiencies.

Corrections does appear however to have a future, work is being done to address the managerial lack of accountability and to introduce auditable processes at senior levels. Many of the staff do an exceptional job and are exceptional people. The CEO and other very Senior Managers at Head Quarters are clearly addressing many of the shortfalls I have covered (Ref: Corrections Web-site; ‘The Mercer Group’).
Well it seems to me you must have been in a different HMP, than I am in at present. To start with working with lifers is harder than Young Offenders? yeah right, tried both, lifers are mainly whining old man who think they know they rights and keep their cells clean. Young Offenders mainly don't care about rights, they just want everything now or someone will suffer and from what I've heard women are the same (inmates that is). Now thats out of the way. I moved from a prison down south to a prison up north (UK) after 13 years service. It was like going back in time, all I knew about working in the new house blocks, which I tried to pass on was totally blanked. The Management and staff carried on trying to run the newly built house blocks in the same way they had run the old accommodation. Until things started to go wrong, then they sort my expertise drawing from my experience and asked me to assist in putting into place new practices. Yeah right, they let it carry on inmates were injured, staff assaulted e.t.c. No one listening (I thought), I gave up. Soon staff rotations occurred, I was moved to a different group, off the houseblocks. A few months down the line, my old line manager is promoted, he has put into place some excellent new practices on the houseblocks.
You've got it right, someone was listening, so might I suggest, people can be the same, even when they are a world apart. They are listening, you just have to find someone, who will act and give credit where it is due. I am bringing my family over there in the hope of finding one, cause there's none here. Dog eat dog, the dogs are in charge, I ain't no Dog, so I'm moving.

Last edited by monkeyscrew; Dec 11th 2006 at 5:08 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkeyscrew
Well it seems to me you must have been in a different HMP, than I am in at present. To start with working with lifers is harder than Young Offenders? yeah right, tried both, lifers are mainly whining old man who think they know they rights and keep their cells clean. Young Offenders mainly don't care about rights, they just want everything now or someone will suffer and from what I've heard women are the same (inmates that is). Now thats out of the way. I moved from a prison down south to a prison up north (UK) after 13 years service. It was like going back in time, all I knew about working in the new house blocks, which I tried to pass on was totally blanked. The Management and staff carried on trying to run the newly built house blocks in the same way they had run the old accommodation. Until things started to go wrong, then they sort my expertise drawing from my experience and asked me to assist in putting into place new practices. Yeah right, they let it carry on inmates were injured, staff assaulted e.t.c. No one listening (I thought), I gave up. Soon staff rotations occurred, I was moved to a different group, off the houseblocks. A few months down the line, my old line manager is promoted, he has put into place some excellent new practices on the houseblocks.
You've got it right, someone was listening, so might I suggest, people can be the same, even when they are a world apart. They are listening, you just have to find someone, who will act and give credit where it is due. I am bringing my family over there in the hope of finding one, cause there's none here. Dog eat dog, the dogs are in charge, I ain't no Dog, so I'm moving.
Congrats on your first post

You'll soon be addicted
Old Dec 11th 2006, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

what are you go to do (workwise) in NZ?
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:42 am
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by monkeyscrew
Not Wetherby YOI by any chance
Old Dec 12th 2006, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry never been in a NZ prison or a UK one for that matter! But funny enough I was served in a shop yesterday by a young lad of 17 who has lived here last 18 months. He was from the same neck of the woods as my hubby and he asked where I was from.
We got chatting about NZ etc and if he liked it. His screwed up nose answered my question! He said he and his family thought it 'backward' here and his Dad HATED his job here. I aksed what his father did and he said he was a prison officer. (Shite wages and conditions rang bells then) He went on to say that last week his father was attacked by a inmate and nothing was done about it! He was just told to get on with his job! He said that back home his Dad loved his job and regrets leaving it now.
He said they were off back to the Uk soon to 'justify' their reasons for coming here, then they were going to go to OZ to hopefully move over there.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Mathews? You are not this lads father by any chance???
Old Dec 14th 2006, 8:49 am
Just Joined

UNIONJACK is on a distinguished road

Well I am sad to say I have to agree having been here working now since February the Dept. Of Corrections is very poorly run and security what there is of it is a complete joke. Any suggestions on how to improve things are ignored which begs the question why they wanted us over in the first place. We have already lost 2 staff who came over from the UK.
But I would add that there are some very good staff who have been very helpful when we first arrived, they are just poorly led. I have never seen a senior manager on my unit and only inside the fence at a staff meeting.
Still living here makes it worth while!!!!!!!
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:24 am
Just Joined

nzyorkshireman will become famous soon enoughnzyorkshireman will become famous soon enough

Mathew (?)

We could change this subject line to "What do Kiwis think of the Pommy Whingers" Mathew...if that is your real name? If you dont like here, let me know and if your working in the same prison as I am then I will be more then happy to drop you off at Wellington airport....you can bugger off home and leave the place to those that like living here....You want to be given a head start because you worked for ANOTHER government in another country...gives you some sort open Right to over take the others who have worked in the system...take a hike buddy...get real...you want something put your name (real one) forward and if you get it...good luck...but stop your moaning man or woman?
Christ you will be moaning your beer is too cold or your fish n chips were not cooked in enough fat.
This is a great country you have chosen to move to...I dont think the kiwis knocked you on the head and you awoke to find yourself in this little bit of paradise...because what is waiting back home for you...this place is paradise!!
Tom

Last edited by nzyorkshireman; Dec 18th 2006 at 7:01 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.