Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you think of New Zealand Prisons?

What do you think of New Zealand Prisons?

Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:26 am
Just Joined

TAWHIWHIRANGI is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do you think of New Zealand Prisons?

I'm totally with you on this one Yorkshire Dude. You hit the nail on the head re: Wellington Airport. I dont know what the crims are like over your way in the UK or what the system that you came from is like either, but the fact is you are here now so GET ON WITH IT and dont give us any further reasons to pull out the ole "Whinging Poms" hymn sheets.

Originally Posted by nzyorkshireman
Mathew (?)

We could change this subject line to "What do Kiwis think of the Pommy Whingers" Mathew...if that is your real name? If you dont like here, let me know and if your working in the same prison as I am then I will be more then happy to drop you off at Wellington airport....you can bugger off home and leave the place to those that like living here....You want to be given a head start because you worked for ANOTHER government in another country...gives you some sort open Right to over take the others who have worked in the system...take a hike buddy...get real...you want something put your name (real one) forward and if you get it...good luck...but stop your moaning man or woman?
Christ you will be moaning your beer is too cold or your fish n chips were not cooked in enough fat.
This is a great country you have chosen to move to...I dont think the kiwis knocked you on the head and you awoke to find yourself in this little bit of paradise...because what is waiting back home for you...this place is paradise!!
Tom
Old Dec 20th 2006, 5:42 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't anyone allowed there own opinion round here...agree with Matthews or Not that how he feels and he's entitled to his voice this without being slagged off for it...

that's my opinion anyway

Merry Christmas and good will to all men/women x
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

nzyorkshireman will become famous soon enoughnzyorkshireman will become famous soon enough

Good Morning Mandie
I agree with you totally, of course people can express an opinion….that is why I expressed mine…and I shall express it again…If he/she does not like it here I am more then happy to drop him/her off at Wellington airport. If the Brit service is/was so great and wonderful why did he/she move to NZ? Surely if you were to move from one side of the world to other then you would do some serious research. A good place to start would have been to contact people who work in your field…contacting a union that covers your field of work…by asking the employer if things are that great why can’t you fill the jobs from within your own country? Etc etc!! Maybe Mathews (name?) did not do his/her homework and is now regretting the move and looking to find an excuse to return home or to blame someone else for him/her not doing his/her homework ??
I think you will find a majority of Kiwis to be very friendly people ….We just don’t like or appreciated people who choose to move here (some assisted!!) to slag the place…like the poem says “You have a right…A right to leave to New Zealand”
A majority of Brit, South African and Dutch officers that have moved here a great people. Mathews (name?) needs to remember that while he is slagging “our” place off here, he is not doing any favours for his fellow country men….if he has a problem he needs to find the correct forum/person to express it to….and this is not the place!!!

Heres a wee poem, I am not sure who the author is? It may have been adapted/edited to fit NZ. I don’t agree with all of it…I do agree with parts of it.

New Zealand - The right to leave Our country - YOU have the right - the right to LEAVE!

After Wellington not wanting to offend other cultures by putting up Xmas lights.
After hearing that we are going to let a Muslim woman have her picture on her drivers license with her face covered.

This prompted this editorial written by a New Zealand Citizen. Published in a newspaper.

Quote:
IMMIGRANTS , NOT NEW ZEALANDERS, MUST ADAPT. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!

I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individuals or their culture. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming To New Zealand.

However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of New Zealand being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As NewZealanders,we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. Our culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom, even died for it.

We Speak ENGLISH or MAORI, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian or any other language. Therefore if you wish to become part of New Zealand society, -- Learn the language!

"In God we trust "is our national Motto. This is not some Christian, rightwing, political slogan. We adopted
this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then it
is recommended that you consider another part of the world as your new home, Because God is part of our culture.

If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like "A FAIR GO", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, AND OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every oportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and or griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our National Motto, or Our Way Of Life, then you are Highly encouraged to take advantage of one other great New Zealand freedom:

"THE RIGHT TO LEAVE"

LEAVE If you aren't happy here then go! We didn't force you to come here. YOU asked to be here. So Accept the country that accepted YOU.

A New Zealander !!!

And that Mandie is MY opinion!!

I wish you and your family a merry xmas
Tom
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:29 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

"In God We Trust" is the NZ motto? Seriously?
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:34 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
"In God We Trust" is the NZ motto? Seriously?
Heh, I'll answer myself.

Nope, that is not the NZ motto. That's the US motto, I know that much, being where I live and all. That all sounded like it was written by some right-wing nut in the US anyway.

Link to NZ's Wikipedia page
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

valitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud ofvalitus has much to be proud of

Good Morning Mandie
I agree with you totally, of course people can express an opinion….that is why I expressed mine…and I shall express it again…If he/she does not like it here I am more then happy to drop him/her off at Wellington airport. If the Brit service is/was so great and wonderful why did he/she move to NZ? Surely if you were to move from one side of the world to other then you would do some serious research. A good place to start would have been to contact people who work in your field…contacting a union that covers your field of work…by asking the employer if things are that great why can’t you fill the jobs from within your own country? Etc etc!! Maybe Mathews (name?) did not do his/her homework and is now regretting the move and looking to find an excuse to return home or to blame someone else for him/her not doing his/her homework ??
I think you will find a majority of Kiwis to be very friendly people ….We just don’t like or appreciated people who choose to move here (some assisted!!) to slag the place…like the poem says “You have a right…A right to leave to New Zealand”
A majority of Brit, South African and Dutch officers that have moved here a great people. Mathews (name?) needs to remember that while he is slagging “our” place off here, he is not doing any favours for his fellow country men….if he has a problem he needs to find the correct forum/person to express it to….and this is not the place!!!

Heres a wee poem, I am not sure who the author is? It may have been adapted/edited to fit NZ. I don’t agree with all of it…I do agree with parts of it.

New Zealand - The right to leave Our country - YOU have the right - the right to LEAVE!

After Wellington not wanting to offend other cultures by putting up Xmas lights.
After hearing that we are going to let a Muslim woman have her picture on her drivers license with her face covered.

This prompted this editorial written by a New Zealand Citizen. Published in a newspaper.

Quote:
IMMIGRANTS , NOT NEW ZEALANDERS, MUST ADAPT. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!

I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individuals or their culture. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming To New Zealand.

However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of New Zealand being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As NewZealanders,we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. Our culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom, even died for it.

We Speak ENGLISH or MAORI, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian or any other language. Therefore if you wish to become part of New Zealand society, -- Learn the language!

"In God we trust "is our national Motto. This is not some Christian, rightwing, political slogan. We adopted
this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then it
is recommended that you consider another part of the world as your new home, Because God is part of our culture.

If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like "A FAIR GO", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, AND OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every oportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and or griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our National Motto, or Our Way Of Life, then you are Highly encouraged to take advantage of one other great New Zealand freedom:

"THE RIGHT TO LEAVE"

LEAVE If you aren't happy here then go! We didn't force you to come here. YOU asked to be here. So Accept the country that accepted YOU.

A New Zealander !!!

And that Mandie is MY opinion!!

I wish you and your family a merry xmas
Tom
I totally agree with your logic and sentiments Tom as do most of the Brits but their voice is silenced by wishy washy liberals so much so that they are the ones who are leaving Blighty in their droves to escape the madness.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:52 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

That particular email has been doing the rounds for years and has been on this site several times

It started in America and xenophobes in various countries have been circulating it ever since
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

If only leaving was so simple.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:04 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rascal
If only leaving was so simple.
As the daughter in law of a Maori - they would argue that "In God we Trust" was never their motto - and New Zealand was their country before the Treaty of Waitangi - which correct me if I'm wrong is still being disputed?!

There's alot of what was quoted that makes refreshing reading in these days of political correctness - put it this way, a quote like that simply wouldn't make the "Daily Mail" in the UK!! I don't think of any of it as Xenophobic, just trying to hang on to your country's identity, accept other cultures, if they accept their host country's rituals and principals. I would like to believe that the majority of immigrants in any country have something to offer and are happy to co-exist alongside the host country's whilst retaining their own culture and without wanting them to compromise theirs ... but that's what probably makes me Loolah?!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

ssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to allssnjeff is a name known to all

Matthew, would you mind awfully if i took your job out there in NZ, i fully understand the problems and the dire situation that you and other Expat officers find yourself in but would be willing to take the risk.
I would in return be willing to trade my super duper job within the UK prison service in return. Please dont believe the hype around the increase in assaults on staff the lack of effective senior management or the poor rates of pay it is just sour grapes from UK staff
Please let me know ASAP so we can put our totally over priced house on the market ready to rip off some poor soul with more money than sense, all the best for now
Jeff
Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

There's alot of what was quoted that makes refreshing reading in these days of political correctness - put it this way, a quote like that simply wouldn't make the "Daily Mail" in the UK!! I don't think of any of it as Xenophobic, just trying to hang on to your country's identity, accept other cultures, if they accept their host country's rituals and principals. I would like to believe that the majority of immigrants in any country have something to offer and are happy to co-exist alongside the host country's whilst retaining their own culture and without wanting them to compromise theirs ... but that's what probably makes me Loolah?!
It didn't make it to the papers in NZ either and it was not written by a Kiwi journalist, as someone said earlier it is just one of the usual BS spammy e-mails that get passed around the world, with a few names places changed to make it relevant to the given country. Would you feel differently if it was sent to you as an immigrant in this country? It was sent to me at work and I asked the person whether I should leave now?

Check it out on sites such as Snopes and you will see that it was written by someone in America shortly after 9/11 - so it has been doing the rounds for over 5 years and the words have been adapted to suit.

Of course the dead giveaway being 'In God We Trust' which is not the motto of NZ. The motto of NZ is, as we all know: 'If you don't like it you can leave'.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Am Loolah]As the daughter in law of a Maori - they would argue that "In God we Trust" was never their motto - and New Zealand was their country before the Treaty of Waitangi - which correct me if I'm wrong is still being disputed?!

Just a minor correction--New Zealand belonged to the Maoriori who lived here before the Maori arrived--unfortunately for the Maoriori--the Maori had a rather unique way of sorting out their problem--they ate them.

Having the neighbours "round for dinner" in those days (and they were delicious)-has a whole new meaning.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 8:23 am
Just Joined

TAWHIWHIRANGI is an unknown quantity at this point

Not quite as unique as coming over here with a bible in one hand a rifle in the other as in the rather aptly named "missionaries". Wonder what their mission was.......Anyway they failed Tuturu kia whakamau ai kia Tina!!

[QUOTE=Tooanfrom]
Originally Posted by Am Loolah
As the daughter in law of a Maori - they would argue that "In God we Trust" was never their motto - and New Zealand was their country before the Treaty of Waitangi - which correct me if I'm wrong is still being disputed?!

Just a minor correction--New Zealand belonged to the Maoriori who lived here before the Maori arrived--unfortunately for the Maoriori--the Maori had a rather unique way of sorting out their problem--they ate them.

Having the neighbours "round for dinner" in those days (and they were delicious)-has a whole new meaning.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 9:34 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
Isn't anyone allowed there own opinion round here...agree with Matthews or Not that how he feels and he's entitled to his voice this without being slagged off for it...

that's my opinion anyway

Merry Christmas and good will to all men/women x
Hear Hear...as far as I read he didn't say he didn't like it, he just said that there are some things that could be done better. Surely thats a good thing!!