Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What Do You Think?

What Do You Think?

Old Mar 4th 2006, 2:53 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Do You Think?

I have lived in OZ for a number of years (many of them in Perth) and am feeling like I need to get out of the place. I finish a social sciences degree this year and have a diploma in Mental Health Work. Part of me would love to return to NZ (friends and family) but I cannot get the 'clean slate' thing as I once had a custodial sentence imposed on me(1991).

I am considering doing a grad dip in counselling or teaching but still don't know if I will be penalised and find it hard to get work in NZ. I can get work in these areas in OZ or UK.

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 6:05 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Do You Think?

Originally Posted by kiwichild
I have lived in OZ for a number of years (many of them in Perth) and am feeling like I need to get out of the place. I finish a social sciences degree this year and have a diploma in Mental Health Work. Part of me would love to return to NZ (friends and family) but I cannot get the 'clean slate' thing as I once had a custodial sentence imposed on me(1991).

I am considering doing a grad dip in counselling or teaching but still don't know if I will be penalised and find it hard to get work in NZ. I can get work in these areas in OZ or UK.

Hmmm - don't know the rules on custodial sentences 15 years on. I suspect they are of minimal importance. I guess it depends what it's for.

I guess the worst that can happen is immegration say no. Worth a try though. Lovely here
Old Mar 4th 2006, 7:30 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biddy
Hmmm - don't know the rules on custodial sentences 15 years on. I suspect they are of minimal importance. I guess it depends what it's for.

I guess the worst that can happen is immegration say no. Worth a try though. Lovely here
Gather as we let Brits in you cant be any worse. Plus everyone deserves a second chance in life. Put in your shoes I would hope someone would do the same for me. Plus what you seem to be doing with your life deserves a slap on the back.

Good luck to ya

Ps next time dont get caught.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

I did a pretty stupid thing in my late teens and had a criminal record for it, however it didn't affect my application (it had to go in front of a board at immigration but that's standard). I did have to explain what I did and the circumstances surrounding it. I shouldn't think you have anything to worry about with it being so long ago. Hope this helps.
Oh yes, I also work in mental health (nursing) :scared:
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:38 am
turkeytickler

isnt there some rehabilitation act or another whereby a criminal record gets "spent" after a length of time?

Old Mar 5th 2006, 5:51 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to you all who have responded. The issue isn't one of immigration. I have citizenship of 3 nations; NZ (by birth) OZ (by naturalisation) and UK (by descent).

The thing is I have worked with some of the most vulnerable people in society here in OZ, those with mental illness and those with intellectual disabilities.

The issue I face really is whether once I have finished my studies, will I be able to practice in NZ as I cannot get my convictions there 'spent'. I guess at the end of the day it's take a chance. If I have problems getting employment in NZ then it will have to be back to OZ or on to the UK. I can't afford to spend my life (who can?) qualified and unable to work in the field. That would be hugely depressing and frustrating.

I did try contacting some relevant bodies, such as the teachers council of NZ, but the response I got seemed a bit vague. Seems they want to reserve the right to put you under the griller, in person before commenting!!!

Anyway, once again, thanks for your thoughts.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 5:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by thebears
Gather as we let Brits in you cant be any worse. Plus everyone deserves a second chance in life. Put in your shoes I would hope someone would do the same for me. Plus what you seem to be doing with your life deserves a slap on the back.

Good luck to ya

Ps next time dont get caught.
Thanks for the encouragement. Sending some karma
Old Mar 5th 2006, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Thanks to you all who have responded. The issue isn't one of immigration. I have citizenship of 3 nations; NZ (by birth) OZ (by naturalisation) and UK (by descent).

The thing is I have worked with some of the most vulnerable people in society here in OZ, those with mental illness and those with intellectual disabilities.

The issue I face really is whether once I have finished my studies, will I be able to practice in NZ as I cannot get my convictions there 'spent'. I guess at the end of the day it's take a chance. If I have problems getting employment in NZ then it will have to be back to OZ or on to the UK. I can't afford to spend my life (who can?) qualified and unable to work in the field. That would be hugely depressing and frustrating.

I did try contacting some relevant bodies, such as the teachers council of NZ, but the response I got seemed a bit vague. Seems they want to reserve the right to put you under the griller, in person before commenting!!!

Anyway, once again, thanks for your thoughts.
You still shouldn't have any problems. I also work with ID and MH and had to register as a nurse in NZ. Convictions are not spent in this profession as you already know, but they can see who has genuinely made mistakes and those that are a true danger to vulnerable people. Good luck, though I'm sure you don't need it.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck to you kiwichild. As someone else said we all do stupid things when younger. I really hope you make it back to NZ and things work out for you.
Best wishes
KAZ
Old Mar 5th 2006, 11:15 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Best of luck to you kiwichild. As someone else said we all do stupid things when younger. I really hope you make it back to NZ and things work out for you.
Best wishes
KAZ
speak for yourself kaz - im still doing them

Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:39 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Winnie
You still shouldn't have any problems. I also work with ID and MH and had to register as a nurse in NZ. Convictions are not spent in this profession as you already know, but they can see who has genuinely made mistakes and those that are a true danger to vulnerable people. Good luck, though I'm sure you don't need it.
Thanks for your encouragement, sending some karma
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Best wishes
KAZ
Sending some karma for your kind thoughts
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
speak for yourself kaz - im still doing them
Sending some karma for your humour and participation