Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What Do You Perceive is Better in NZ than in UK?

What Do You Perceive is Better in NZ than in UK?

Old Jun 16th 2010, 6:39 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Do You Perceive is Better in NZ than in UK?

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
BIGGER SPACE TO PARK THE CAR.
Have you tried putting a 4x4 in Tesco compared to Pac n Save?
And still some muppet runs into you or opens their door on you!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 8:04 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbo25
UK positives:

Clotted cream (oh I wish this hadn't been mentioned!!), variety of overseas destinations closer to home, footie, shopping choice, NHS dentists, higher wage expectation, friends, family.

NZ positives:

Fresh foods, sausages, cafe culture, less air pollution, more outdoor leisure opportunities, more opportunities for children, better public transport (yep I didn't live in one of the main cities), education system, health care although not free, roads in terms of upkeep although not as many motorways etc.
If you have access to unpasteurized cream, the 'Joy of Cooking' tells us how we can make our own clotted cream. Begin by taking unpasteurized cream and letting it stand for about 12 hours (during the winter months) or 6 hours (during the warm summer months). Then to sterilize the cream; place the cream over very low heat (do not boil) until rings form on the surface of the cream. Store in a cold place for at least 12 hours and then skim the thick clotted cream from the surface of the cream. You now have homemade Clotted Cream.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

the roads (such smooth well maintianed surfaces and hardly ever seen a pot hole...great for us cyclsits)

the tasty cheap fresh fruit/veg

the weather... never in UK winter have i gone out without socks/coats etc..

the gazillions of beaches and scenery
Old Jun 17th 2010, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

witty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
Easy;

England: negative - Expectations of Football team - 1-1 is regarded as a loss

New Zealand: possitive - Expectations of Football team - 1-1 is regarded as an historic win!

Now the All Whites only have to beat Italy, then a draw with Paraguay, beat Holland, and Brazil, then Germany, to meet England in the final !!!

So true!!!

Personally I have been here three weeks so Ill give this a go.

NZ- More space, less cars, less pollution, more space, better fishing, more relaxed, cheaper housing, more space, access to areas that actually take my breath away with the beauty (yes I know the UK has some great spots as well but everything seems to be on a bigger scale here) We went to the coromandel peninsula on a bank holiday recently and thought the road had been closed with quotes of "where is everyone?" and "umm we are on a public road arent we?"

Ill leave my UK stuff at the moment as most of its been said but not a bloody lot really. I dont get why people don't like it here but realise I havent been here long.

Alan
Old Jun 17th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
If you have access to unpasteurized cream, the 'Joy of Cooking' tells us how we can make our own clotted cream. Begin by taking unpasteurized cream and letting it stand for about 12 hours (during the winter months) or 6 hours (during the warm summer months). Then to sterilize the cream; place the cream over very low heat (do not boil) until rings form on the surface of the cream. Store in a cold place for at least 12 hours and then skim the thick clotted cream from the surface of the cream. You now have homemade Clotted Cream.
THANK YOU!!!!!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

CindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the rough

coffee !!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

Edmonds cookbook over Delia Smith anyday!
British family pubs.
NZ top loading washing machines.(So much easier for my husband to understand).
Laundry rooms. You have to be just a bit posh to have one here in the UK.
British people and their pets.(We dont tend to chain our dogs to the washing line or put them outside in kennels).
Tetley teabags.
English marmite.
British wildlife.
NZ wildlife.

Not forgetting to mention Tauntons Musgrove Park Hospital. Came home from surgery and a short stay yesterday. Speed and delivery of service were absolutely faultless.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattandJax
the roads (such smooth well maintianed surfaces and hardly ever seen a pot hole...great for us cyclsits)

the tasty cheap fresh fruit/veg

the weather... never in UK winter have i gone out without socks/coats etc..

the gazillions of beaches and scenery
Don't where you ride? but I used to think the roads of the republic of south yorkshire were bad, until I came to NZ. Loads of broken road surface, and so many cheap chip sealed roads make for pretty uncomfortable road ring, that plus drivers that must rate as the worst in the western world.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:50 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Mind me asking what your education and health service assessments are based on?
the facts I'd say support that, my experience of a few years here:

NZ Unis - no substantial entrance requirement for many subjects (so not as "elitist" as the UK), poor global ratings for research, etc (size is an issue of course), even more "universal" than the UK - some find that good, others bad...... for me

NZ schools - look good on the OECD ratings but are they that good? Variable I'd say at least at primary level and reports of the same at intermediate and high school. Some primaries are way behind in how they teach, eg phonics, what's phonics??? Private education is relatively cheap, but when you think about what the costs are relative to your NZ $$ income then not so cheap......

NZ health - not free at the point of delivery, there is at least one "poor" (ie. pro-bono) hospital (where people who can't afford to go private have operations done free of charge), check out how many Kiwis have health insurance - also, services in some areas are bad, e.g. the standards of midwifery in some areas can be shocking, when you get to know kiwis you (or your missus) will hear some horror stories about that area.......
Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:56 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Don't where you ride? but I used to think the roads of the republic of south yorkshire were bad, until I came to NZ. Loads of broken road surface, and so many cheap chip sealed roads make for pretty uncomfortable road ring, that plus drivers that must rate as the worst in the western world.
It's the nature of the environment - people used to open roads with a sudeen increase in traffic volumes (eg in Auckland) do not have the courtesy bred into them that was about in the UK 5-20 years ago.

Also the weather and road locations make for slips that require plenty of maintenance. It's pretty much a full-time job in some areas - I have friends who own a big roading company and they are busy busy keeping roads open in some areas after rain storms, etc.

This year's dry spell put paid to lots of concrete surfaces around here with big cracks appearig due to subsidence, then lots of rain produced slips and run off.....so NZ roads are not a basket of roses. Although there seem to be fewer pot holes around town.

Crazy drivers though
Old Jun 17th 2010, 10:07 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Back to OP's questions

Better:

fresh fruit veggies and some meats - yum, when in season!
amount of daylight in AKL at least
warmth (apart from the winter!)
beaches - number, acceess, quality
lack of dog poo around the place
attitude to sports and outdoor lifestyle
positive attitude to work/life/future
ease of owning own business
opportunities for people who are prepared to take them
attitude to kids (apart from some people in restaurants and some parents who don't care!)
rainfall - reliable most of the time!
low population density
plenty of renewables
more balanced economy but based on agriculture which will always be needed
the Maori attitude to life, the environment and business - putting brakes on some things and keeping up Pakeha in check
cultural diversity (in some areas at least)

Worse:

sausages and cheese!
the NZ village - "Kiwi is best", "NZ experience", "jobs for the boys"
some shocking practice in professional life
monopolies in supermarkets
expense of dental work, optical work
poor housing stock
National govt - -> GST up, taxes down for their mates
racism in some quarters
rugby being more important that other sports
one-eyed attitude of some old school Kiwis
brain drain taking people away for too long
small population so no economies of scale
finance companies, etc who take the money and run!
toploading washers - a very old idea past it sell-by date!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
really? well we're in Botany at the mo, and due to move to Cockle bay on Saturday. as we've been house hunting, weve driven all over the Manukau area and are quite impressed with the roads. we came from Manchester where they were already dire before the last winter we had,.. and now theyre just unbelievably bad! it will cost millions to repair them all properly!
and as for the drivers, they seem a little unaware at times... but again comparing with Manchester we haven't seen the agressive, dangerous, numpty style driving we have been used to....and the roads are so much quieter which probably helps!

we drove on some unsealed country/hairpin roads in the Coromandel which were a bit scary i have to say! but again, the proper roads in the towns were great quality and in good shape
Old Jun 17th 2010, 10:19 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by MattandJax
really?....we drove on some unsealed country/hairpin roads in the Coromandel which were a bit scary i have to say! but again, the proper roads in the towns were great quality and in good shape
as I said most areas are OK on the pothole front but get out in the sticks and NZ roads can get a true beating from the weather.
several times I've been flying down south or east and met road engineers off to sort out slips, etc
before you judge the UK too harshly watch a few years of NZ news to see what effects NZ roads and drivers have - you'll get used to discussing it believe me
Old Jun 18th 2010, 6:21 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lardyl

NZ Unis - no substantial entrance requirement for many subjects (so not as "elitist" as the UK),
This is about to change thanks to the government cap on subsidy/domestic enrolments, and the current debate around student loans.

Unis are going to introduce entry requirements based on 'grade' of achievement - ie won't accept anyone/everyone who has the right number of credits in the right subjects at the right level, but will be taking those with excellences (and hopefully merits) over those with achieved. This is also likely to be initially based on level 2 (year 12) results as the level 3 results are confirmed so close to the start of the academic year that there may not be time to do all paperwork otherwise.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 8:09 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What Do You Perceive is Better in NZ than in UK?

For a year or so until people get jobs again .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.