British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What do you need/need to do to buy a car in NZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-do-you-need-need-do-buy-car-nz-692600/)

DennisBergkamp Nov 7th 2010 9:47 am

What do you need/need to do to buy a car in NZ?

Hi

Been thinking about doing a road trip so i might get an old cheap car

What documents do i need to sort out for a car

What is registration? (is it like tax?)
WOF is like MOT i think
and what is Vehicle License?

Any other docs i need to sort out? Like Log Book?

I aim to do 1 pre purchase AA check for $165 if i'm serious

like the look of this so far
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-307038993.htm

Cheers

drrobert Nov 7th 2010 4:15 pm

Re: What do you need/need to do to buy a car in NZ?

Yes, a WOF (warrant of fitness) is like an MOT. You need to get them every 6 months for older cars.

Buying a car is quite easy.

The car should already be registered and have a current WOF (I wouldn't buy a used car otherwise). When you buy a used car, you and the owner have to complete some NZ Transport Agency documents to register the change of vehicle ownership.

Details are here: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/regi...g-selling.html

VTNZ have a national network, and also do pre-purchase vehicle inspections.

rogercruse Nov 7th 2010 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp (Post 8966793)
...what is Vehicle License?

Like the UK road tax. And you'll need a NZ driving licence to renew it.

simonsi Nov 7th 2010 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by rogercruse (Post 8967349)
...And you'll need a NZ driving licence to renew it.

UK Passport will do.

DennisBergkamp Nov 7th 2010 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 8967439)
UK Passport will do.

cool
cheers guys

not as hard as i thought

i'll get an NZ license soon

DennisBergkamp Nov 10th 2010 9:01 am

Hi again

so if a car has WOF and Registration for a few months, the only side fee i'm looking at is the change of ownership fee which is about $10

I dont have to register an old car do i?
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/regi...sing/fees.html

These registration fees are steep

So is the only running cost the 6 month WOF and the license which is $287 for the year?

Bit confused between registration and license at the moment

pricklykina Nov 12th 2010 9:27 am

WOF should not be more than one month old...otherwise it needs to be sold "as is where is (AIWI) which means you get what you pay for.

People call the licence "rego" or registration but it is the vehicle licence only that you pay for.
You can pay for 12 months...I pay for 6 at a time but you have to pay a minimum of 3 months and a max of 12.

sirplug Nov 12th 2010 5:19 pm

The car should already be registered.....the only annual running cost then should be the WOF every 6 months (on cars over 6 yrs old) and the 'rego' (licensing) every 3, 6 or 12 months, depending how long you want to keep it. Also, if you buy a diesel, you have the 'RUC' diesel miles to buy. About $44 per 1,000km, depending on the vehicle type.

Basically, if you look at a car, it should have a rectangular blue and white sticker where the tax disc sits, in the UK (this is rego) . Make sure this is for a date in the future, as in the UK. Also, with it will be another blue and white sticker with some km's on it (if it's a diesel). These km's are the RUC and the larger of the numbers should be higher than the speedo reading. Once the higher reading and the speedo match, it's time to buy some more. On the right hand side at the top of the windscreen is the WOF sticker (MOT) make sure this expires in 2011. The registration is the same as a log book in the UK, you fill out a bit with the new owner details as well as a transfer of ownership at the post office / AA VTNZ. Legally, the bit that matters is the form you have to pay $10 for.

It's not as bad as it sounds. You can buy a car and relicense it, WOF it and buy RUC with a UK license and passport. You can't do any of it online unless you have a NZ license

DennisBergkamp Nov 12th 2010 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 8978076)
The car should already be registered.....the only annual running cost then should be the WOF every 6 months (on cars over 6 yrs old) and the 'rego' (licensing) every 3, 6 or 12 months, depending how long you want to keep it. Also, if you buy a diesel, you have the 'RUC' diesel miles to buy. About $44 per 1,000km, depending on the vehicle type.

Basically, if you look at a car, it should have a rectangular blue and white sticker where the tax disc sits, in the UK (this is rego) . Make sure this is for a date in the future, as in the UK. Also, with it will be another blue and white sticker with some km's on it (if it's a diesel). These km's are the RUC and the larger of the numbers should be higher than the speedo reading. Once the higher reading and the speedo match, it's time to buy some more. On the right hand side at the top of the windscreen is the WOF sticker (MOT) make sure this expires in 2011. The registration is the same as a log book in the UK, you fill out a bit with the new owner details as well as a transfer of ownership at the post office / AA VTNZ. Legally, the bit that matters is the form you have to pay $10 for.

It's not as bad as it sounds. You can buy a car and relicense it, WOF it and buy RUC with a UK license and passport. You can't do any of it online unless you have a NZ license

cheers
will try and sort out this weekend

seen a couple i like

Genesis Nov 13th 2010 1:18 am

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp (Post 8978416)
cheers
will try and sort out this weekend

seen a couple i like

Don't forget to insure it. Whilst there is no legal obligation in Nz to have car ins (how frigging stupid is that??), but if you don't and you damage someone else's property you will be liable for the repairs. The AA are very keen price wise..so are Fintel.

DennisBergkamp Nov 13th 2010 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8978676)
Don't forget to insure it. Whilst there is no legal obligation in Nz to have car ins (how frigging stupid is that??), but if you don't and you damage someone else's property you will be liable for the repairs. The AA are very keen price wise..so are Fintel.

cheers again
i got a 1996 ford laser for 2200 -manual gearbox as i've never driven an automatic
Quite high KM's as its 200k but it drives well. Will take it up north at xmas
AA insurance was $140 for a year third party

sirplug Nov 13th 2010 8:08 am

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp (Post 8978681)
cheers again
i got a 1996 ford laser for 2200 -manual gearbox as i've never driven an automatic
Quite high KM's as its 200k but it drives well. Will take it up north at xmas
AA insurance was $140 for a year third party

Spares are cheap for them but they're generally reliable:thumbup: