Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you miss from/about the UK?

What do you miss from/about the UK?

Old Feb 9th 2006, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you miss from/about the UK?

OK, I know this has been done before but its pretty quiet on here at the moment.... what do you miss from/about the UK?..... it can be anything... however stupid it might seem. This is not an excuse to slate NZ... just interested to see what people miss. We are quite happy here but I still miss certain things.

My turn first..... I'm sure I'll think of more things later on....

My parents and bro

My friends

I miss Tescos (how sad is that!! Being able to get everything I need in just one shop)

My beautiful Arabian horse

My cute little house in South Lincs

My Smart Car

Convenience food for when youre feeling lazy and cant be @rsed to cook...

The BBC

UK Chocolate.... mmmm Thorntons!

Seeing rellies at Christmas time

Being able to pop round to see my parents whenever I want

My minds gone blank now.... will add more later....
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:00 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss from/about the UK?

Don't miss much but...
BBC and ad free telly in particular
The good ole British Pub
Realy tasty sausages
Friends & family

That's yer lot at the moment. The list about what I don't miss would be longer!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biddy
Don't miss much but...
BBC and ad free telly in particular
The good ole British Pub
Realy tasty sausages
Friends & family

That's yer lot at the moment. The list about what I don't miss would be longer!
OMG....going to the pub!!! HOW could I forget that!! Distinct lack of pubs here.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

[QUOTE=SarahB]OK, I know this has been done before but its pretty quiet on here at the moment.... what do you miss from/about the UK?..... it can be anything... however stupid it might seem. This is not an excuse to slate NZ... just interested to see what people miss. We are quite happy here but I still miss certain things

* the sound of ball on racket during Wimbledon and the fact that it happens overnight in NZ - I can be guaranteed that I hear the results on the news before I have a chance to watch Match of the Day. Ditto grand-prix racing. Even more ditto, five/six nations rugby!

* The Sunday Times and quality tv news reporting - really miss Jeremy Paxman - is he still on tv?

* Battenburg cake and Bakewell Tart

* Bluebell woods - I went to Christchurch in September - that most English of kiwi cities - and nearly drove off the road in Hagley Park when I realised I was in the middle of a bluebell wood - never thought I would see another one unless I went back to the UK! The scent and the colour ....

* Cold .... well, usually damp and drizzly ... Christmas's - tinsel looks so tacky in bright sunlight and as for Father Christmas ho-ho-ho-ing in 80 degrees of heat!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:21 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Even more ditto, five/six nations rugby!
Aaarrrrgggghhhhhhhh!!!!

How am I going to see any 6 nations or Super 14 without Sky??????
Old Feb 9th 2006, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Damn you lot...we haven't left yet and I'm already missing pubs, BBC, quality news etc etc etc!!!

Biddy I think I'll be needing your list of what you DON'T miss to give me encouragement!!!

Dave
Old Feb 9th 2006, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Besides the obvious family and friends, I haven't really missed much, apart from the pubs and..............MUSHY PEAS!!!!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 1:55 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do you miss from/about the UK?

When I was living in NZ I missed

Finance

- having enough money that I didn't have to rely on charity
- having a full time job

Housing

- having a properly constructed house with an indoor toilet
- heating
- double glazing

Food

- Bisto granules
- Bread sauce
- Branston pickle
- Fruit and veg as these were unaffordable ($4.95 for a cucumber)
- free range eggs where you could choose the size you wanted to buy, not just "mixed" sizes in one box.
- proper coffee, not ground maxwell house style bleeuugghh
- cheese apart from cheddar
- orange squash, not Raro powders

having said all that, I could have happily stayed in NZ if I could have just earned enough to live on..................

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 9th 2006, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

Jaffa Cakes
Old Feb 9th 2006, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cottageinthesky]
Originally Posted by SarahB
OK, I know this has been done before but its pretty quiet on here at the moment.... what do you miss from/about the UK?..... it can be anything... however stupid it might seem. This is not an excuse to slate NZ... just interested to see what people miss. We are quite happy here but I still miss certain things

* the sound of ball on racket during Wimbledon and the fact that it happens overnight in NZ - I can be guaranteed that I hear the results on the news before I have a chance to watch Match of the Day. Ditto grand-prix racing. Even more ditto, five/six nations rugby!

* The Sunday Times and quality tv news reporting - really miss Jeremy Paxman - is he still on tv?

* Battenburg cake and Bakewell Tart

* Bluebell woods - I went to Christchurch in September - that most English of kiwi cities - and nearly drove off the road in Hagley Park when I realised I was in the middle of a bluebell wood - never thought I would see another one unless I went back to the UK! The scent and the colour ....

* Cold .... well, usually damp and drizzly ... Christmas's - tinsel looks so tacky in bright sunlight and as for Father Christmas ho-ho-ho-ing in 80 degrees of heat!
i'm just eating a mr kipplings bakewell tart as we speak........
Old Feb 9th 2006, 6:49 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

my mum, my dad, my brother and my best pal. If I could only get them all over here too then life would be complete.

I suppose I miss snow too, but that's it.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice
Smile Re: What do you miss from/about the UK?

Originally Posted by SarahB
OK, I know this has been done before but its pretty quiet on here at the moment.... what do you miss from/about the UK?..... it can be anything... however stupid it might seem. This is not an excuse to slate NZ... just interested to see what people miss. We are quite happy here but I still miss certain things.

My turn first..... I'm sure I'll think of more things later on....

My parents and bro

My friends

I miss Tescos (how sad is that!! Being able to get everything I need in just one shop)

My beautiful Arabian horse

My cute little house in South Lincs

UK Chocolate.... mmmm Thorntons!

Seeing rellies at Christmas time

Being able to pop round to see my parents whenever I want

My minds gone blank now.... will add more later....
My family

Decent Indian Restaurants < The ones in Tauranga are terrible>

Galaxy chocolate

A decent rail network

Friends who you have a history with

Richard and Judy <ONLY JOKING !!>

Last edited by ex geordie; Feb 9th 2006 at 7:14 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Akkbars restaurant in Bradford, the best curries ever........the ones here are terrible, meat with spicy gravey poured over!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:42 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

A regular passenger train service (I used our local train station in the uk a lot!).
History.
Permanent looking buildings.
Disposable income.
My friends.
The pub.
Clotted cream.
Double Deckers (but I can find them here )
Cheap good quality wine.
George at Asda for cheap kids clothes
Morrisons Chicken Korma.
Cheap carpet.
Cheap paint lol I could go on and on and on and on

Mushy Peas
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:47 pm
Banned

Lenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really nice

I am going to Heathrow on Monday- Wellington bound, and here is what I will miss............
My Mum and Dad.....77 and 86
500 year old pubs with inglenook fireplaces with a roaring fire and snow on the ground outside
Good friends I have known for years,
English spirit of togetherness and optimism during every World Cup, Six Nations, Ashes, Wimbledon, Olympics ect.......even though in our hearts we know we are only really world beaters at darts!
Looking across the English Channel and remembering the sacrifices made by the few for the many and what made Britain Great.
The best capital city in the world
Feeling good every time you here another famous American setting up home in England

And what I know I will not miss-
Abu Hamza and the like that infest and will continue to infest our once glorious land with their evil intent.
A spineless Government.
The force fed diet of political correctness. 30 Million people too many.
Lack of old fashioned values.
Benefits for the spongers who dont deserve it and the lack of help for the many genuine cases that do.
Litter and the general lack of respect for other peoples property.
English Lamb
I could go on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.