Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you listen to on the radio in NZ?

What do you listen to on the radio in NZ?

Old Nov 3rd 2013, 7:56 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do you listen to on the radio in NZ?

If I can't sleep, as often happens on those sultry summer nights when you startle awake with the sheets sticking to you. I really enjoy fixing a cool ice tea, sitting out on the deck with my gloopy dog who is equally happy sleeping on the deck as in her dogs bed in the sticky summer, and switching on National Radio's Nights with Bryan Crump. There is something so tranquil about it when accompanied by the sound of Cicada and twinkling of the thousands of stars that fill the night sky as they only seem to in New Zealand.

In that sense Radio 4 has no place here, it's the wrong country, New Zealand has it's own sense of identity and National Radio it's own sense of place and belonging as with so many things...a terroir. Having Radio 4 in New Zealand would be like asking for bangers and mash in Tuscany.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you listen to on the radio in NZ?

Originally Posted by Charismatic
If I can't sleep, as often happens on those sultry summer nights when you startle awake with the sheets sticking to you. I really enjoy fixing a cool ice tea, sitting out on the deck with my gloopy dog who is equally happy sleeping on the deck as in her dogs bed in the sticky summer, and switching on National Radio's Nights with Bryan Crump. There is something so tranquil about it when accompanied by the sound of Cicada and twinkling of the thousands of stars that fill the night sky as they only seem to in New Zealand.

In that sense Radio 4 has no place here, it's the wrong country, New Zealand has it's own sense of identity and National Radio it's own sense of place and belonging as with so many things...a terroir. Having Radio 4 in New Zealand would be like asking for bangers and mash in Tuscany.
What a lovely, poignant post
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Engel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really nice

I miss BBC radio. I know I can listen to it on my laptop or get some podcasts, but mis Today on the way to work and PM on the way home. Much of the comedy is repeated on 4 Extra. However, when I was in Canada the CBC had comedy and sketch show which I have not found on NZ radio.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 8:36 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do you listen to on the radio in NZ?

Originally Posted by j19fmm
What a lovely...post
It's the country that does most of the work, I just throw some words at a make-believe internet page to try and poorly convey why we fall in love with this country again and again.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 4:45 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Most of the guests on Radio NZ National (poor man's Radio 4) talk about their recent trip overseas to London lol.
You must be listening to a different Radio NZ National to me. I am a die-hard Radio 4 fan but I don't find Radio NZ National to be a poor man's replacement; it's an equivalent radio station in NZ's cultural context, albeit one that almost certainly has a significantly smaller budget than Radio 4!

Exactly. The first couple of years I doggedly held on to Radio 4 listening but since then I've found I've got a much better handle on news and views of Asia-Pacific, and a deeper understanding of NZ culture. I used to love ABC in Oz too, especially Bush Telegraph.

If I had to do without TV or Radio, I'd throw TV over in a heartbeat.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
You must be listening to a different Radio NZ National to me. I am a die-hard Radio 4 fan but I don't find Radio NZ National to be a poor man's replacement; it's an equivalent radio station in NZ's cultural context, albeit one that almost certainly has a significantly smaller budget than Radio 4!.
I agree.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on mood;

Radio Sport
The Breeze
The Sound
Radio New Zealand Concert

I don't really active seek to listen to the radio however, if on a longer journey I use Spotify in the car using Bluetooth.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Having Radio 4 in New Zealand would be like asking for bangers and mash in Tuscany.
This is one of the best analogies I have heard in a very long time
Old Nov 8th 2013, 1:00 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Hauraki
The Rock
The Sound
Classic Hits

In the car on the rare occasion, I will allow the wife to have More FM on. Gerry McCormacks thinking can be hilarious at times. It's no Janet and John mind by Terry Wogan but when he mocks Bondi, it can be quite fun to listen to

Haurakis breakfast is brilliant epsecially when they mock r n b artists or the x factor. That can be fun to listen. I can't do with Matt Heaths drive show in the evening, it's boring a bit like Mark and Lards afternoon shows when they stopped doing their excellent breakfast show on Radio 1

The Rock is brilliant in weekends as is Classic Hits.

The Sound is probably my favourite radio station which sometimes I wonder if that means I"m turning old early. A radio station that plays Bruce Springsteen and a lot of 70's/80's rock is certainly my cup of tea

The only thing that annoys me about the radio stations is the adverts. If I ever meet the voicer for the Mad Butcher/Recovery advert on the sound, or that woman who does that loan advert we say yes when banks say no - i'd request they get cosmetic surgery on their voices to make them listenable instead of ear damaging Westlife sounding pain

Anyway best back to the I'm gonna work till I die song
Old Nov 8th 2013, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

The Sound is good.