Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you expect from a new life in NZ?

What do you expect from a new life in NZ?

Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you expect from a new life in NZ?

Jack Daws has started a couple of really good threads about the good and bad of NZ. It is far from perfect here for some people, for others its as good as it gets.

We came out here with a number of expectations..I have to say they were all met and well exceeded..I guess we were lucky with respect to our frame of reference..we lived in a really crap area in the UK smothered with crime ( we tried to move somewhere nice but missed the boat), both our careers had seen better days, there were few amenities for our kids and we did not see much of either of our families. So there was not much 'bettering' to be done by coming to NZ such was the dubious quality of our last year or 2 in the UK!!

I was wondering what your expectations are if you are coming and if you are here are they being met? I just hope no one has any expectation of getting hold of a nice sausage....you will be dissapointed, very much so.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do you expect from a new life in NZ?

Originally Posted by Genesis
Jack Daws has started a couple of really good threads about the good and bad of NZ. It is far from perfect here for some people, for others its as good as it gets.

We came out here with a number of expectations..I have to say they were all met and well exceeded..I guess we were lucky with respect to our frame of reference..we lived in a really crap area in the UK smothered with crime ( we tried to move somewhere nice but missed the boat), both our careers had seen better days, there were few amenities for our kids and we did not see much of either of our families. So there was not much 'bettering' to be done by coming to NZ such was the dubious quality of our last year or 2 in the UK!!

I was wondering what your expectations are if you are coming and if you are here are they being met? I just hope no one has any expectation of getting hold of a nice sausage....you will be dissapointed, very much so.
The only expectation I had was to drive along some wide roads with a mountain in the distance and my CD player blaring. I didn't go with any others as I went on 'holiday' and decided to stay after the job offer.

Ooh I've just thought of another positive...I'll take myself to the positive thread.

Boyfriend is looking forward to meeting you next year!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:50 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

we didnt really have any massive expectations, we started it all off as an adventure and thought we'd see what happened.
Probably the main thing was less stress in our lives and we've definitely got that, we've pretty much no stress at all I think the difficult thing for me was to have any expectations for a place where I had never been before and knew not too much about!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
The only expectation I had was to drive along some wide roads with a mountain in the distance and my CD player blaring. I didn't go with any others as I went on 'holiday' and decided to stay after the job offer.

Ooh I've just thought of another positive...I'll take myself to the positive thread.

Boyfriend is looking forward to meeting you next year!

We'll do home made pizza...Kate's really good at that..perchance you will bring Chianti???? What month are you here?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

We'll do home made pizza...Kate's really good at that..perchance you will bring Chianti???? What month are you here?
May or June - not decided yet - could bring a Chianti or 6. Actually do they let you in with that?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

is kate a wife or daughter?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:05 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

.... I just hope no one has any expectation of getting hold of a nice sausage....you will be dissapointed, very much so.
I wonder --- do these taste nice?? pad,pad,pad,pad .... but hey this looks interesting - ate something like it in Cyprus - yummmy!!!

Lamb Sausages

Two versions of a skinless lamb sausage. They can also be made with skins or as kofte kebabs.
The hot version can be served with tzatziki, warm pitta bread and grilled aubergine. Tzatziki is a Greek dip. To make Tzatziki combine a tub of Greek yoghurt, half a chopped cucumber, a chopped clove of garlic, and the juice of a lemon with salt and pepper to taste.
Try the mint and spring onion version with leeks (stewed in butter and a lttle stock) and mashed potatoes.

Method
Finely mince the lamb and pork fat together in either a food processor or mincer
Combine with thebreadcrumbs, egg and seasonings. Fry a small piece to test the seasoning
Divide the mixture into 6 - 8 patties, brush with olive oil and grill both sides

Ingredients
Meat
500 g boneless lamb from either leg or shoulder (allow 750 g if you buy lamb on the bone)
125 g pork fat
50 g white breadcrumbs
1 egg

Seasoning
Either:
1 - 2 green chillies, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1 teaspoon of salt
Black pepper

Or
2 tablespoons mint, finely chopped
1/2 bunch spring onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon of salt
Black pepper
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Genesis]We'll do home made pizza...

please don't put sausages on it though
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

I am expecting low salary, cold house, crap TV , but outdoor active life and great peaceful, uncomplicated lives especially for my kids
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mazi
is kate a wife or daughter?
Alas I am old enough to have a daughter to cook pizza!!! But Kate is Mrs T. I did not become a dad till I was 42. Kate ( who I proposed to 11 days of a whirl wind romance) has been mistaken much more than once for being my daughter!!!!! The kids are Felix at 5 and the twins 3, Elise and Isabelle. You will be allowed in with your duty free wine won't you???? We will be here May/June time so its a date aye??
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
I am expecting low salary, cold house, crap TV , but outdoor active life and great peaceful, uncomplicated lives especially for my kids
Bang on!! Don't forget crap sausages and terrible driving!!! Hey but the beaches are great.

Mazi, the pizza will be a SFZ....sausage free zone!!!! Kate will make the base and everything with her own fair pinkies. Shall we shove some parma ham on the top?? And some REAL mozzarella!!!!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:17 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
nail, hit, head, on, the, the ......rearrange into a common phrase and have another
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:26 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lardyl
nail, hit, head, on, the, the ......rearrange into a common phrase and have another
I expect we will be brining up a family of 6 on a low salary, but am motivated to do whatever it takes to improve on that and work way up, have more than one job or go self-employed again when we know the market. Have lost the inspiration to try anything new and take a risk here. Mainly don't think we could afford it and equally because we are so despondant with where we live. Rather than up sticks and move to another area here we figure may as well completely start over there!

Expect our first rental home to be pretty crap and cold, but will hopefully look out for heating issues when we are viewing to buy as this is indeed a recurrent bugbear we've picked up on this forum!! Failing that, we'll have to make sure there's enough in the pot to install a decent heating system.

We're not having a tv there, so won't care if it's crap or not!! Tv is optional remember and does have an off switch!!

Not very active/outdoorsy here, but looking to embrace that there!! If I could only get my bloody dogs to stop pulling me along and walking me, instead of the other way round!!

Am also looking forward to solving the great sausage debate by creating a sausage of distinction!!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Am also looking forward to solving the great sausage debate by creating a sausage of distinction!![/QUOTE]

That will no doubt be the receipe for your success!!!!! It is jolly marvellous here you know.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

Bang on!! Don't forget crap sausages and terrible driving!!! Hey but the beaches are great.

Mazi, the pizza will be a SFZ....sausage free zone!!!! Kate will make the base and everything with her own fair pinkies. Shall we shove some parma ham on the top?? And some REAL mozzarella!!!!
Lovely kids' names. Did you meet the scrumptious kate there or in Blighty? You proposed after 11 days! Good lord, you're a quick mover.

parma ham yummy, but come on, you KNOW you can't get real mozzarella in NZ - we're not going to start that argument again are we??!!

Boyfriend saw the messages and is wondering what you get up to in PN? He spent many a year there when he was in the Air Force...and he's wondering. He remembers a crazy guy who wanders the town, do you know him?

It's a date, mate!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.