Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you do for pleasure!!!

What do you do for pleasure!!!

Old Nov 12th 2007, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you do for pleasure!!!

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
It is part of our NZ heritage! SERIOUSLY. A few years ago (5 - 7 yrs?) TVNZ tried to cut down the number of episodes per week. IT GOT MENTIONED IN PARLIAMENT.
When locals find out we are from England they ask us if we lived in a street like Coronation Street & is it really like it appears on TV.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 5:37 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
When locals find out we are from England they ask us if we lived in a street like Coronation Street & is it really like it appears on TV.
Yes but to be fair, many of you did! And by that I mean terraced housing! It is only recently that terraced housing (ie in the form of townhouses) has been seen in areas other than state housing areas and for old people
Old Nov 12th 2007, 6:22 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Yes but to be fair, many of you did! And by that I mean terraced housing! It is only recently that terraced housing (ie in the form of townhouses) has been seen in areas other than state housing areas and for old people
We used to live in a castle in Scotland

Not too many of those on Coronation St or in NZ for that matter

Last edited by Campbells; Nov 12th 2007 at 6:24 am.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 7:59 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
When I first started work here in Hamilton, I was asked if I came from Coronation Street country.... I have a Scottish accent but we all sound the same............
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
When I first started work here in Hamilton, I was asked if I came from Coronation Street country.... I have a Scottish accent but we all sound the same............

I have a typical Lancashire accent and sound just like Janice from Corrie (she lived 10 minutes away from us). Anyway, was outside New World getting the littlies sorted last week and some woman came up to me and asked which part of Scotland I came from?! I didn't want to burst out laughing, so through a smirk/gritted teeth (picture Posh Spice teeth clamped together grin) I just said near Manchester ... she said it was lovely! I was chuckling for ages
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:10 am
life finally begins in NZ

sarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: What do you do for pleasure!!!

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl

I have a typical Lancashire accent and sound just like Janice from Corrie (she lived 10 minutes away from us). Anyway, was outside New World getting the littlies sorted last week and some woman came up to me and asked which part of Scotland I came from?! I didn't want to burst out laughing, so through a smirk/gritted teeth (picture Posh Spice teeth clamped together grin) I just said near Manchester ... she said it was lovely! I was chuckling for ages

Ordering wood in Parameta I was asked if I was scottish and my son has been asked too....we are from Manchester originally but have moved round so much its a reduced version (more northern).

As for what I do to not get bored...I come on here and read all the daft stuff you lot talk about!!
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:00 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Better than getting mistaken for an Aussie :curse: :curse:

I mean really, what are you poms like.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:20 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Better than getting mistaken for an Aussie :curse: :curse:
Or a Frenchie
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice

Originally Posted by Campbells
Or a Frenchie
it could be worse whe I travelled, being welsh threw eveyone, by all accounts and this is no lie I came from the following places according to the peeps i met.

france, scotland, ireland, usa, canada, germany, most of the scandanavian countries and the worst possible insult England.

Still I do struggle to tell the difference between the aussie and kiwi accents.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:59 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ballsrburning
... Still I do struggle to tell the difference between the aussie and kiwi accents.
that'll endear you to the locals - I foresee a half winchester of HCl coming your way at speed accompanied by ....... "no I'm not an Aussie!"
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice

Originally Posted by lardyl
that'll endear you to the locals - I foresee a half winchester of HCl coming your way at speed accompanied by ....... "no I'm not an Aussie!"
They tend throw around hydrogen chloride, won't be a problem at room temp its a gas, though does become hydrochloric acid with contant to air. I do hope HCL means something else.

There's an easy way of getting around it I will presume they are kiwi, and won't say anything like i did in aus. or I just glass the bstrd back.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell the difference between a Kiwi and an Aussie, but Carl can't
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:39 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
I can tell the difference between a Kiwi and an Aussie, but Carl can't
Aussies are thicker, drag there knuckles along the ground and sleep with their sisters plus they stress than vowels more when speaking

Six = pronounced Sex (Aussie)
Six = pronounced Sucks (Kiwi)