What do you do?

Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

kazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nice
Default What do you do?

Hi there,

I haven't been on in quite some time and things have changed for us. After realising that the hubby would probably not get PR by being a truck driver, he is in the second year of a two year course to become an electrician.

I also retrained and am now a qualified hairdresser and currently back at college to become an advanced hairdresser, with the option of continuing on to teaching once I have gained more experience.

Anyway, nosey as I am, I just wondered what you all did for a living and whether any of you retrained to give yourselves a better chance?
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you do?

Originally Posted by kazmac72

Anyway, nosey as I am, I just wondered what you all did for a living and whether any of you retrained to give yourselves a better chance?
My hubby works in IT so we got PR through him. I, however, couldn't work as a Registered Childminder as I had done for the previous 7 years in the UK. I would have needed to retrain, so I enrolled in a teaching degree and just completed it last week Now, the world is my oyster...

Well done on getting up and doing something to secure your future, it is something that only a handful of people actually do.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazmac72
Hi there,

I haven't been on in quite some time and things have changed for us. After realising that the hubby would probably not get PR by being a truck driver, he is in the second year of a two year course to become an electrician.

I also retrained and am now a qualified hairdresser and currently back at college to become an advanced hairdresser, with the option of continuing on to teaching once I have gained more experience.

Kate is a nurse, pretty much was a passport anywhere in the world so long as you can speak the lingo 7 years ago...alas not the same now with the fiscal melt down. I am a house husband or kitchen bitch as we are known in NZ. I gave up being Plod to come to NZ so we could have one parent at home 100% of the time. Nurses earn more money than a copper can here and Kate was keener to advance her career rather than me arvo 30 years of many different jobs. I was burnt out......so I became a full time parent with 3 kids under 5!!! That's clever eh???
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

I work in IT as an Application Developer across ITSM applications...
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:17 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
I work in IT as an Application Developer across ITSM applications...
I feel suitably enlightened .......... not

MrsL is a speech therapist (she got us the PR), I clean toilets.........................

.................in my office when needed, do the post, accounts and earn the fees to pay myself minimum wage by fooling the world that I am a forensic investigator.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
I feel suitably enlightened .......... not
You sound just like my boss!!!
Old Nov 20th 2011, 10:06 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
You sound just like my boss!!!
perfect arrangement most of the time if your boss don't have a clue about what you do.......

however, I found that such ignorance can be a problem and has been know to end badly
Old Nov 20th 2011, 10:35 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Adult Education Tutor currently doing work place training (computer skills, literacy and numeracy). In the process of buying in to a CV writing business. Will be looking for customers from January!!!
Old Nov 21st 2011, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a midwife which makes it pretty easy to get a job in NZ and to move around the country if desired. The pay is pretty much the same as in the UK if you choose to work as staff in one of the birthing units/hospitals. If you choose to work independently then thats a whole different ball game!
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lardyl
perfect arrangement most of the time if your boss don't have a clue about what you do.......

however, I found that such ignorance can be a problem and has been know to end badly
I look after the applications that the company and it's customer use to log faults and changes etc. ITSM - IT Service Management the applications i support and develop are BMC Remedy and HP ServiceCenter/HP Service Manager...
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

I was Insurance Manager for one of the UK's largest public sector organisations until September, took in the RWC in NZ and now..... looking

But the "looking" has felt an awful lot more promising since arriving in Australia just over a week ago . In fact, if I hadn't wasted the last month in NZ I'm sure I would be gainfully employed again by now... oh well, live and learn etc.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:53 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your search DC10.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Good luck with your search DC10.
Thanks, Expat Kiwi. Hopefully can get a foot in the door somewhere before the summer shutdown hits
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

kazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Genesis
Kate is a nurse, pretty much was a passport anywhere in the world so long as you can speak the lingo 7 years ago...alas not the same now with the fiscal melt down. I am a house husband or kitchen bitch as we are known in NZ. I gave up being Plod to come to NZ so we could have one parent at home 100% of the time. Nurses earn more money than a copper can here and Kate was keener to advance her career rather than me arvo 30 years of many different jobs. I was burnt out......so I became a full time parent with 3 kids under 5!!! That's clever eh???
I love it that you are a kitchen bitch thats what I call my girls when they are helping me cook!
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jmh
Adult Education Tutor currently doing work place training (computer skills, literacy and numeracy). In the process of buying in to a CV writing business. Will be looking for customers from January!!!
Is there much call for adult education tutors over there?? That is essentially what I will be doing here once I qualify.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.