Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do we do about furniture?

What do we do about furniture?

Old Sep 23rd 2007, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold
Default What do we do about furniture?

Myself, my husband and two children will be moving out to NZ in about six months time, once we have sold our house. I am planning on bringing most of my furniture but he question is:

Is it worth a visit to ikea or such-like before emmigrating or does NZ have similar chain of shops with equally nice furniture?

Thanks everyone
Mandy and Tony
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 7:46 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: What do we do about furniture?

There is currently no Ikea in New Zealand although there are rumours of one opening on the North Shore.

As far as furniture goes, I dunno. You can buy quality I s'pose but you're gonna shell out a lot of money. Or there is the bung together Chinese import rubbish at the Warehouse and Kmart if you are into that.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PHONEJUNKY
Myself, my husband and two children will be moving out to NZ in about six months time, once we have sold our house. I am planning on bringing most of my furniture but he question is:

Is it worth a visit to ikea or such-like before emmigrating or does NZ have similar chain of shops with equally nice furniture?

Thanks everyone
Mandy and Tony
That is something we wish we'd done-left it flat packed and sorted it here. Would've been cheaper.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by danny.f
That is something we wish we'd done-left it flat packed and sorted it here. Would've been cheaper.
well I guess thats sorted then i will fill my container with flat packed furniture!!!!!!

Orders are now being taken, lol!!!!!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PHONEJUNKY
well I guess thats sorted then i will fill my container with flat packed furniture!!!!!!

Orders are now being taken, lol!!!!!!!
You could be minted! Good luck.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Ikea stuff allegedly sells really well on TradeMe. Also if you are bringing brand new stuff I think you pay tax on it, so unpack it first! Bring everything except your wardrobes (although we have 1 in the garage and they are good for storage) and your washing machine!
Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by donnaf
Ikea stuff allegedly sells really well on TradeMe. Also if you are bringing brand new stuff I think you pay tax on it, so unpack it first! Bring everything except your wardrobes (although we have 1 in the garage and they are good for storage) and your washing machine!
Is it true that most washing machines in NZ are top loaders if so they are that cheap in UK i will bring new front loader with me.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

You can get front loaders here, we've just bought one. The new one that we brought from the UK went kaput after 6 months and as it was a Hotpoint it's impossible to get parts. It would have cost over $500 to repair it with no guarantee that it woulds last. The chap who delivered our new one told me that they regularly go out to expats whose machine has died after about 6 months of being here, it's also happened to a couple of our friends (also microwave ovens don't seem to last).If you can get parts here for your machine I'm sure you would be ok. We've also got a circuit breaker on our washer now as apparantly you can get electricity surges which cause problems, they cost about $40 so definitely worth it IMO.
Donnaf
Old Sep 25th 2007, 6:24 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

bring everthing.. there is nothing here.. nothing I tell you!! If you don't bring it you will have to make it out of mud and twigs.. no shops here at all! I just wonder how the locals manage