Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

what to do with uk private pension?

what to do with uk private pension?

Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

kenmc72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what to do with uk private pension?

hi guys
what have people done about private pensions? i have a non contributary pension from a previous employer .... can i transfer it to NZ? should i talk to a pensions advisory service? any recommendations?
cheers
Ken
Old Oct 20th 2010, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what to do with uk private pension?

Originally Posted by kenmc72
hi guys
what have people done about private pensions? i have a non contributary pension from a previous employer .... can i transfer it to NZ? should i talk to a pensions advisory service? any recommendations?
cheers
Ken
I have chopped a couple of small AVCs in. The benefit of getting them over here on the QROPS approved system is because they are totally tax free. If you end up drawing your pension from the UK like my mate does from the UK army who also lives in NZ is that you get taxed at whatever tax rate you are on. This way it is ALL tax free. Before 5 FULL tax years on being a non tax resident of the UK you can take 50% out of the cash in value, after the full 5 yrs are up you can have the rest. I just got $5k tax free and will get the other 4 thousand next april. If the funds are under 10k GBP you do not get the option to 'park' your cash in an NZ GBP acct..they just change it up for you at the day's rate. That can be painful as I found out last month. Still its only money! The downsides are you never get the full cash in value from the Uk they knock a few % off and you will be charged 1-3% by the pension co in Nz that does the transfer.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
If you end up drawing your pension from the UK like my mate does from the UK army who also lives in NZ is that you get taxed at whatever tax rate you are on.
Does he pay tax on it in the UK & then pay the difference over here? If so, tell him to give them hell over here, as our ex-army friend did, and only end up paying the UK tax. He got a huge refund
Sorry to go off topic!!
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:03 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Before 5 FULL tax years on being a non tax resident of the UK you can take 50% out of the cash in value, after the full 5 yrs are up you can have the rest.
Hi, I realise that Malaysia is not New Zealand but just interested in the full 5 years bit. I'm not actually sure if I can set up a QROPs, but are you saying, from the UK's point of view, if you are out of the tax system for more than 5 tax years, you can get at all the pension in cash if it is transferred into a QROPs?
Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

We have a similar problem, hubby has a pension in the UK, we have been living in NZ for nearly 2 years. He turned 47 this year, and we are unsure what to do? Are we best waiting till we have been here for 5 years? Can we take any money out of the fund before we reinvest it?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

mac917 will become famous soon enoughmac917 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Does he pay tax on it in the UK & then pay the difference over here? If so, tell him to give them hell over here, as our ex-army friend did, and only end up paying the UK tax. He got a huge refund
Sorry to go off topic!!
Hi,

I am in a similar position in that I draw a UK Army Pension. I have been since I arrived over a year ago. I have paid UK tax on it since day one and I am under the impression that I can receive it free from NZ tax for 4 years but will then have to declare it and then also pay top up NZ tax to bring it to the correct level.

I would appreciate any comments from people in a sinilar situation or who knows the tax system.

Dave
Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

We both have Local Government pensions and, from my research, doesn't seem to be anything we can with our pensions until we are 55.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:23 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mac917
Hi,

I am in a similar position in that I draw a UK Army Pension. I have been since I arrived over a year ago. I have paid UK tax on it since day one and I am under the impression that I can receive it free from NZ tax for 4 years but will then have to declare it and then also pay top up NZ tax to bring it to the correct level.

I would appreciate any comments from people in a sinilar situation or who knows the tax system.

Dave
I also know that Aus isn't NZ but I'm on a police pension. NIL tax is payable on pension income in the UK if you are normally NON-resident there. I pay income tax in Australia on my UK pension income and no tax at all in the UK.

I can't think that NZ doesn't have a similar aranagement with the UK. But in any event, if you don't live in the UK you shouldn't be paying any UK tax on pension income. AFAIK.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:36 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I also know that Aus isn't NZ but I'm on a police pension. NIL tax is payable on pension income in the UK if you are normally NON-resident there. I pay income tax in Australia on my UK pension income and no tax at all in the UK.

I can't think that NZ doesn't have a similar aranagement with the UK. But in any event, if you don't live in the UK you shouldn't be paying any UK tax on pension income. AFAIK.
Many thanks for the info.... That is what I have been led to believe is the case for NZ.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

brujarerdeb is a jewel in the roughbrujarerdeb is a jewel in the roughbrujarerdeb is a jewel in the roughbrujarerdeb is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Dave
Dave,

I've just put a new thread on the forum, hope it helps, or pm me with any q's.

Bruce
Old Dec 4th 2010, 1:57 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Dave
I think you've got it about right, Dave.

As a new immigrant your overseas income is tax free for the first 4 years.

After that, you will have to pay the NZ Government the difference between the tax you have already paid in the UK and how much you would have paid in NZ. This applies even if you dont physically bring the money into NZ.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NakiMan
I think you've got it about right, Dave.

As a new immigrant your overseas income is tax free for the first 4 years.

After that, you will have to pay the NZ Government the difference between the tax you have already paid in the UK and how much you would have paid in NZ. This applies even if you dont physically bring the money into NZ.
A friend of ours fought this with respect to paying tax on his British Army pension in New Zealand as well as the UK & he won (rightly so, IMO) Now only pays it at source in the UK & received a 4 year refund from the NZ Taxman
Old Dec 4th 2010, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

mac917 will become famous soon enoughmac917 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mickey_d
A friend of ours fought this with respect to paying tax on his British Army pension in New Zealand as well as the UK & he won (rightly so, IMO) Now only pays it at source in the UK & received a 4 year refund from the NZ Taxman
Hi Mickey_D

This sounds like good news Do you know on what grounds he appealed and how he went about it? Is he still earning over here and paying tax his normal tax rate. Any assistance is appreciated.

Dave
Old Dec 4th 2010, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Mickey_D

This sounds like good news Do you know on what grounds he appealed and how he went about it? Is he still earning over here and paying tax his normal tax rate. Any assistance is appreciated.

Dave
Basically he kicked up a stink about it, wrote to tax office, local MP etc. etc.
His argument really was why should he be paying tax twice on something that had nothing to do with NZ. He earns a little here & pays tax as normal.
I think it is a good argument & ought to apply to all pensions earned before coming here.
It did take him over a year to sort it out, but was well worth it.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

I have chopped a couple of small AVCs in. The benefit of getting them over here on the QROPS approved system is because they are totally tax free. If you end up drawing your pension from the UK like my mate does from the UK army who also lives in NZ is that you get taxed at whatever tax rate you are on. This way it is ALL tax free. Before 5 FULL tax years on being a non tax resident of the UK you can take 50% out of the cash in value, after the full 5 yrs are up you can have the rest. I just got $5k tax free and will get the other 4 thousand next april. If the funds are under 10k GBP you do not get the option to 'park' your cash in an NZ GBP acct..they just change it up for you at the day's rate. That can be painful as I found out last month. Still its only money! The downsides are you never get the full cash in value from the Uk they knock a few % off and you will be charged 1-3% by the pension co in Nz that does the transfer.
Hi Just had a look at this post have to say we have just after 8years of been in NZ just done a transfer of all our pensions from UK we have done quite well and left them in a Sterling Acc till we have sorted out how to Invest as we will get more with the Rate paid in NZ.
The big Bonus for us due to age we have taken one amount out in Cash and it will clear all the Mortgage as we could take up to 25c of what the total value is.

The guy we have used is from the UK and lives just out side Ch-Ch will give you Free Information on what is best for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.