Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What To Do? To stay or to go?

What To Do? To stay or to go?

Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of
Default What To Do? To stay or to go?

Hello,

I have been in NZ for a year now in Welly and despite it being difficult at the begining, things are better now.

I came here alone and met a fantastic Kiwi lady (who holds a UK passport) and we've been seeing each othr for 10 months now.

She want to have a stint in the UK, using her UK passport to experience working in the UK and travelling to Europe

I am all for that - BUT, i only have a 2 year visa til the end of 2012.

I enquired about PR and Immigration said they couldnt guarntee me being granted PR by the end of 2012 - so i havent applied

AND if we were to head to the UK, i wouldnt meet the requirements of the residence visa anyways

I am just thinking that, i have a permant job, maybe we should battle it out till i get PR - but then that would mean another 3 years!!! - we'd be 30 odd then and maybe the time for European travelling will have passed

But i am hoping that should i wish to return to NZ in the future - having 1 years plus Kiwi work experience will help (and fingers crossed being married to a kiwi should help with a visa application!)

But having visited Sydney and Melbourne i might be tempted to do 2-3 more years in the UK before trying for AUS, if that fails back to NZ

I am only 25 - but i have a good job here, which is permanent. Not a job i greatly enjoy, but its money and keeps me in NZ with my lady!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:42 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What To Do? To stay or to go?

i would like to point out that I was over 30 when i spend nearly 2 years wandering about the world.....

Just do what feels right, simple.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Me and him were 40 odd when we decided to take a gap year.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:01 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with the 'do what's right' brigade. Why hang out another three years in a mediocre job, when you could be larging it around Europe with your missus. If all works out, you may well be back on a spouse visa with PR - who knows?! If not, you've got here once, it sounds like you're a pretty employable chap, and so you may well get here again. If not, there's always Aussie as a portal to NZ.

Otherwise, stay in NZ, and by 30 you'll find yourself with mortgage, sprog(s) and all of a sudden you're 40 going 'WTF!?!'. This is not a bad thing either.

There's no right or wrong answer chum, just Carpe Diem and all that. Good luck!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:10 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

25yrs old! Your a kid! Go see the world with your lady. She's a Kiwi, if things work out, you can gain residence based on your relationship, just keep a track of where you been together.

NZ not the only place in the world to live either!
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

i definitley aim to come back to Aus/NZ in the next few years.
Just that i came here on a 9 month temporary visa - now upgraded to a 2 year one on the Silver Fern scheme from last year

I cant go via this method any more - but i'll have over 100 points for EOI for the future having had more work experience and some Kiwi work experience - so i'm hoping things will work out in the future.

Also - i would prefer to live in Auckland then Welly if i was to return - Welly is nice, but a bit small and living at the bottom of the North Island means you feel stuck - like the only place you can head out on a daytrip is north- i've ben to kapiti, eastbourne, riversdale, castle point etc so many times now

At least there are plenty of options in Auckland - but fewer jobs in my line of work.

I might be back in the UK in June 2012 by the looks of it so thats 19 months work experience in NZ - then work and travel in the UK for a few years!