Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do people drive!!!

What do people drive!!!

Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:20 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do people drive!!!

Nice to see an off-road vehicle that's actually used off road.

You know what Pajero means in Spanglish don't you?
Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nisey
One of my main reasons for wanting to emigrate is to get away from the Mother mafia, 4x4 driving, its all about what you've got and where your going on holiday crap.
And you're going to NZ? Oh dear
One of the recruiters in Auckland told me that no-one pays attention to what you drive, which is great.

Utter crap

My OH though has been looking at cars and is depressed that given the lower wages cars seem more expensive and financing seems expensive too. He's always had 'nice' cars cos he's really into driving (being a girl of course I'm only interested in the colour ). He says its not just the European brands its everything.

So tell me like it is, or is he right thinking we'll just be able to afford a tin can on wheels.
Ok, I haven't lived there for a year but yes, in my opinion, cars are very expensive and people do care about what you drive and they do try to keep up with the Joneses, 4 wheel drives are far more common than in the UK (though you might argue with good reason - have you seen the roads??!!) and many people are petrol heads.

Cars are damned expensive, make no mistake. but you don't have to have insurance so you'll save money that way. Bit of a sh*t when you have an accident though.

NZers are not known for being the best drivers in the world.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:30 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
Ok, I haven't lived there for a year but yes, in my opinion, cars are very expensive and people do care about what you drive and they do try to keep up with the Joneses, 4 wheel drives are far more common than in the UK (though you might argue with good reason - have you seen the roads??!!) and many people are petrol heads.

Cars are damned expensive, make no mistake. but you don't have to have insurance so you'll save money that way. Bit of a sh*t when you have an accident though.
Jap imports seems reasonably priced. NZ new cars are expensive.

Originally Posted by mazi
NZers are not known for being the best drivers in the world.
That's an undersatement! We nearly got taken out twice yesterday on a 10km drive - bloody pensioners driving home from church in their shiny SUVs and not looking where they were going at junctions!!
Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Jap imports seems reasonably priced. NZ new cars are expensive.

And why would that be? Oh, yes, they're Jap imports! (Not having a go at you by any means - please don't think I am !)

That's an undersatement! We nearly got taken out twice yesterday on a 10km drive - bloody pensioners driving home from church in their shiny SUVs and not looking where they were going at junctions!!
...la la la la la
Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Toyota Camry-ex taxi-and I could argue it still is one-and Don has a Corolla-and yes Rutherford and Bond were delighted to see us walk in,and yes,Iwant someone to steal mine.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:37 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Nisey
My OH is driving me batty..........

He keeps comparing prices of cars with those over here, and we thought the UK was expensive.

One of my main reasons for wanting to emigrate is to get away from the Mother mafia, 4x4 driving, its all about what you've got and where your going on holiday crap.

One of the recruiters in Auckland told me that no-one pays attention to what you drive, which is great.

My OH though has been looking at cars and is depressed that given the lower wages cars seem more expensive and financing seems expensive too. He's always had 'nice' cars cos he's really into driving (being a girl of course I'm only interested in the colour ). He says its not just the European brands its everything.

So tell me like it is, or is he right thinking we'll just be able to afford a tin can on wheels.
Once you get here you will soon realise that there are loads of people who will judge you by what you drive, where you holiday, what you wear, where you live, and , really importantly, how much you earn $$.

Did you think you were coming to communist Cuba?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=AlbieLittle;4716131] Once you get here you will soon realise that there are loads of people who will judge you by what you drive, where you holiday, what you wear, where you live, and , really importantly, how much you earn $$.

Less people will judge you here than in the UK (IMHO)
Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlbieLittle
Once you get here you will soon realise that there are loads of people who will judge you by what you drive, where you holiday, what you wear, where you live, and , really importantly, how much you earn $$.
Not our experience of NZ at all.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:32 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=donnaf;4716241]

Less people will judge you here than in the UK (IMHO)
Yeah, but you are in porirua...
Old Apr 30th 2007, 3:28 am
Banned

Hang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura about

You know what Pajero means in Spanglish don't you?
Yeah, and it applies to the nob who designed the 2.8 turbo diesel that they put in them. Should have given it quick release bolts, they have to be sawpped over so much.

I'd love to take your Skoda off road, it would be a blast on some of the unmade mountains roads
Old Apr 30th 2007, 3:37 am
Happy in Wellington

Originally Posted by Hang11
Yeah, and it applies to the nob who designed the 2.8 turbo diesel that they put in them. Should have given it quick release bolts, they have to be sawpped over so much.

I'd love to take your Skoda off road, it would be a blast on some of the unmade mountains roads
I bet it would - ground clearance is 10.8cm and the sump is quite susceptible to damage.
It has the standard suspension too - some people in the UK have lowered them by 3cm - nutters.
I've driven it on one of those gravel roads - I never went over about 20km/h and was cringing the whole time.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:03 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Check out our piece of modern history. 20 yrs old, 700 of your Kiwi dollars, everything works and she's still going strong 3 months later. Even passed her warrant with no worries.

If anything, our neighbours are jealous and somewhat envious, and not just of the car

Go on, admit it, now you are too!
Attached Thumbnails What do people drive!!!-100_6617.jpg  
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Check out our piece of modern history. 20 yrs old, 700 of your Kiwi dollars, everything works and she's still going strong 3 months later. Even passed her warrant with no worries.

If anything, our neighbours are jealous and somewhat envious, and not just of the car

Go on, admit it, now you are too!
Looks a bit too high mileage for my taste. But the cars not bad
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:09 am
Banned

Hang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura about

I bet it would - ground clearance is 10.8cm and the sump is quite susceptible to damage.
It has the standard suspension too - some people in the UK have lowered them by 3cm - nutters.
I've driven it on one of those gravel roads - I never went over about 20km/h and was cringing the whole time.

I drove my Delica on a dirt track round lake coleridge yesterday, got at least two feet of air under the front wheels

The whole centre console is held on with duck tape and self tapping screws now Hammering up to the ski fields really shakes cars apart, but I can usually get 60km/h out of it, uphill on dirt roads, less on the way down, because it goes sideways really easily, even with 4wd, and big tyres.

I managed to rip the sump guard off it last year, driving through a snow drift. Been thinking about a suspension lift, and steel bash plate underneath, along with some towing eyes, so I can really give it some abuse before the engine finally dies.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:13 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Looks a bit too high mileage for my taste. But the cars not bad
Ooooh... you are SO dead when T reads that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.