British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   what to do next (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-do-next-630288/)

jjthefridge Sep 11th 2009 8:02 pm

what to do next

Hi,

well things went pear shapped a while ago, could apply again in january but do i, with all thats gone on with people loosing jobs and work permits, finding new jobs but no new work permit then back on next flight home.

I started new job 3 months ago, still supermarket refrigeration, long hours but good money, and enjoying things bought new car(karens couldn't do miles, and she couldn't drive it) so nice citreon picasso, nice big tent(ex sold last one at boot fair b***h) new bike, so things are going good.

Been applying for jobs in nz that come up, just yesterday told that agencies have to look for staff in nz for 10 weeks at least before they can consider visa applicants and i'll have to save up in region of £10k for visa, flights, shipping, buying car etc in nz, and than start from begining again,

So i really don't know. but i've got a good idea.

j.j.

Psychopandy Sep 11th 2009 8:16 pm

Re: what to do next

Originally Posted by jjthefridge (Post 7923937)
Hi,

well things went pear shapped a while ago, could apply again in january but do i, with all thats gone on with people loosing jobs and work permits, finding new jobs but no new work permit then back on next flight home.

I started new job 3 months ago, still supermarket refrigeration, long hours but good money, and enjoying things bought new car(karens couldn't do miles, and she couldn't drive it) so nice citreon picasso, nice big tent(ex sold last one at boot fair b***h) new bike, so things are going good.

Been applying for jobs in nz that come up, just yesterday told that agencies have to look for staff in nz for 10 weeks at least before they can consider visa applicants and i'll have to save up in region of £10k for visa, flights, shipping, buying car etc in nz, and than start from begining again,

So i really don't know. but i've got a good idea.

j.j.

So whats the good idea? :blink:

jjthefridge Sep 11th 2009 8:21 pm

Hi

It a good idea of what to do, but i don't know if i'm right, wheather its best to stay in uk or risk it all???????????????????????????????

or wait untill employers are falling over themselves to employ me and help with costs.

Psychopandy Sep 11th 2009 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by jjthefridge (Post 7923975)
Hi

It a good idea of what to do, but i don't know if i'm right, wheather its best to stay in uk or risk it all???????????????????????????????

or wait untill employers are falling over themselves to employ me and help with costs.

Do you have enough points to go for PR before the job?

jjthefridge Sep 11th 2009 8:30 pm

Hi,

didn't last time, and wouldn't go there without a job to go to, if i was on my own, it'd be no problem but i'm not,

Psychopandy Sep 11th 2009 8:43 pm

;)

Originally Posted by jjthefridge (Post 7923998)
Hi,

didn't last time, and wouldn't go there without a job to go to, if i was on my own, it'd be no problem but i'm not,

What do you do? Is it in the 'list'?
Any chance you could go over alone and get the job (couple of weeks) and come back for the rest of the family.
It worked for us - and it does seem to help if the employers can see you face to face - you have to make them realise they cant live without you!!!

nudge nudge ;);)

BEVS Sep 11th 2009 10:46 pm

jjthe fridge is a ..... wait for it......refrigeration engineer :p

Hi there. So are your eyes still straying to a new life in NZ or not really?

Been applying for jobs in nz that come up, just yesterday told that agencies have to look for staff in nz for 10 weeks at least before they can consider visa applicants
That is true for many tradies whose occupations are no longer on the shortages lists, but this is not true for you.

Your occupation has remained on the long term shortage list.
342111 Aircon and Refrig Engineer - which you are. So an NZ employer is perfectly free to offer you a job as it is still already proven in NZIS and the NZ Dept of Labour eyeballs that there are not enough refrig engineers to fill NZ vacancies.

Are you asking people what they would do in your position JJ?

If it were me and it is not and could not be ,coz I am too old for you :p and not your new partner. I'd give it a year and see how I and the new partner felt then. That's not to mention the kids involved plus the ex-partners views which , with kids, do matter.

It also gives a year to save money .

You have been through a huge upheaval in your life JJ. You have a steady new job and a new relationship to settle into. I'd say, take the time with your new partner and see how she feels about NZ.

New Zealand is not going anywhere and will be waiting for you if you do decide it would be worth it.

jjthefridge Sep 12th 2009 7:33 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 7924268)
jjthe fridge is a ..... wait for it......refrigeration engineer :p

Hi there. So are your eyes still straying to a new life in NZ or not really?

That is true for many tradies whose occupations are no longer on the shortages lists, but this is not true for you.

Your occupation has remained on the long term shortage list.
342111 Aircon and Refrig Engineer - which you are. So an NZ employer is perfectly free to offer you a job as it is still already proven in NZIS and the NZ Dept of Labour eyeballs that there are not enough refrig engineers to fill NZ vacancies.

Are you asking people what they would do in your position JJ?

If it were me and it is not and could not be ,coz I am too old for you :p and not your new partner. I'd give it a year and see how I and the new partner felt then. That's not to mention the kids involved plus the ex-partners views which , with kids, do matter.

It also gives a year to save money .

You have been through a huge upheaval in your life JJ. You have a steady new job and a new relationship to settle into. I'd say, take the time with your new partner and see how she feels about NZ.

New Zealand is not going anywhere and will be waiting for you if you do decide it would be worth it.

Hi Bevs,

Thanks for the reply, all brilliant info, case of enjoying what i've got, get out cycling and camping, and save money over a longer period, when (and if i do get to nz) need to be settled and happy together, then it'd be (hopefully) be beleiveing my dream, not a nightmare.

thanks

j.j.

Cadibel Sep 12th 2009 7:44 am

Originally Posted by jjthefridge (Post 7925032)
Hi Bevs,

Thanks for the reply, all brilliant info, case of enjoying what i've got, get out cycling and camping, and save money over a longer period, when (and if i do get to nz) need to be settled and happy together, then it'd be (hopefully) be beleiveing my dream, not a nightmare.

thanks

j.j.

JJ - Bevs has given you some brilliant advice - hope that the next year goes well for you and then you are in a position to make the decision that will work for you. Maybe see you in nz in a year's time if we've all made it by then :fingerscrossed:

Psychopandy Sep 12th 2009 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Cadibel (Post 7925052)
JJ - Bevs has given you some brilliant advice - hope that the next year goes well for you and then you are in a position to make the decision that will work for you. Maybe see you in nz in a year's time if we've all made it by then :fingerscrossed:

That Bevs is a very intuitive lady.

I would listen to the good lady, thats what you come on here for after all.

I wish you good luck with your new relationship and hope that all your decisions are the right ones.
Take care honey - all the best

Kija Sep 12th 2009 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Psychopandy (Post 7925369)
That Bevs is a very intuitive lady.

I would listen to the good lady, thats what you come on here for after all.

I wish you good luck with your new relationship and hope that all your decisions are the right ones.
Take care honey - all the best

Ditto

BEVS Sep 12th 2009 10:12 pm

JJ will be back when he is ready. I think he may be destined to come here and give it a go at some point in the future when everything lines up well for him.

Best of luck to him.:thumbup: