Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What to do with left over ham ...

What to do with left over ham ...

Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold
Default What to do with left over ham ...

I have a bit of left over ham & didnt know whether you could freeze it or not so found this on internet ............

You can freeze cooked ham. Here is a good trick. You can slice the ham up into serving slices (or thinner slices for sandwiches) and divide the pieces into packages for several meals or layer the slices with a plastic wrap between them and then take out how ever many you want, without them sticking together. This way you don't have to haul out a big ham and then end up throwing at least 1/4 of it out. If you don't want to do this, wrap the ham in aluminum foil so it doesn't get freezer burn and put a date on it.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_fr...#ixzz19X5Bj62I

Saves eating ham from now until next Christmas
Old Dec 30th 2010, 2:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: What to do with left over ham ...

I didn't know you could freeze ham. I may just have to do this. We are into our 3rd day of ham.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:02 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, have done this for years, since we used to run a pub the ready supply of good home cooked ham in the freezer was useful over the few months after Christmas for lunches, buffets, pub team refreshments etc.

I also freeze down the scrappy bits in a container, and the scrappy bits of turkey, then use them later to make turkey and ham pie
Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Make a roux! Loads of cheese, cube the ham and throw it in. (little) Salt, peper and some nutmeg!

serve with wilted greens.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

We have made and frozen: Ham, cheese & onion quiches, ham & cheese pasties, pizza's.
As an experiment I cubed some ham, mixed it with a tin of Mushy Peas, added a Mushy Pea tin full of veg stock, seasoned with salt & pepper.....Pea & Ham soup & it was delicious
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Love ham/bacon. UNSMOKED!!!
Have enjoyed really thin crispy smoked bacon in UK but try as I may, I cannot stomach MANUKA SMOKED HAM AND BACON!
I appreciate that it is a NZ taste preference and through hours of diligent seeking found an outlet selling GREEN BACON!! [unsmoked] at cost and on special request. Why don't they give folk a choice-- smoked or unsmoked.

We are left with over 3/4 of a large ham, which no one wants. I've run out of ways to camouflage it [pizza; pasta] Could I soak, then boil the taste of smoked Manuka out of it, as one does the salt in UK?Can't put it on trade me! Any charities interested?

I know --Pathetic really with so much sorrow and hardship in the world, but I hate waste!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Love ham/bacon. UNSMOKED!!!
Oopsie then.
We thought we found an outlet here to get the 'green' from but it was the dregs of the fatty stuff. They thought we were bonkers.

No reasonable gammon or unsmoked rashers since we have been here.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Some of the recipes sound great but I am not yet that domesticated I think a bit of piccallili or onion on a sandwich will be about it from me ! & there are always the school lunches in a few weeks !